Shamz

HSC
N/A
i do general maths and im ok at it

i was wondering does it scale you down BECOZ THT IS CONCERNIN G ME

santaslayer

HSC
yes, cro is right!
if you do a 'well scaled subject' and get a poor mark in it, you will be scaled down heaps more !

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Are you in year 12? If you are, there is no point in stressing about what scaling may, or may not, do to your results. All you can do is work hard and do your best in the subjects you are doing.

If you aren't in year 12, bear in mind that potential scaling is not a good basis for subject choice. :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I totally agree with CM_Tutor (gawd, can't you change that nickname? Its so hard/inconvenient to type mph), don't worry about scaling.

Worry'ing about it will be of no use. Do your best, you'll get scaled regardless of you knowing about how it works/why it works/concerned about scaling etc.

Studies show that people perform better at subjects they like (obvious really, dunno why people would study such a thing, but then, there you go . . . ask CM_Tutor what he is studying ;) ), so if you aren't in year 12, don't worry about scaling when choosing subjects.

suz

HSC
yeah don't worry just do your best
Like you I was paranoid about the scaling so I kept 13 units and in the end my maths counted, I got a band 5 so don't worry too much
By the way maths was actually my lowest mark

Lundy

Banned
HSC
The whole "general math = doom" opinion is bullshit. Do your work, study well and get a good rank and you'll be fine. All through the hsc all I heard was "general will scale you down", "you'll get a bad uai", etc etc blah blah blah. None of it turned out to be true. I got a great mark and UAI (way above my expectations).

Last edited:

some_random

Theres no particular subject that scales you better than another..
unless of course you're doing something like 3 unit latin and excelling in it..

and i think if you put enough effort in, of course you can fix your mark and make it better!

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
scaling is a relative thing, it happens in comparison to your ranking within your school, how your school does in comparison to the rest of the state and also how your own mark is compared to your other subjects...i think. don't worry about it at all. my best peice of advice is to not think about the scaling system, it just confuses and stresses people out. just do the best you can in all your subjects, and dont be afraid to ask for help with something...

Alexander

Gold Member
You guys must be joking...OF COURSE gen. math is scaled down. Why should someone doing mathermatics be dissadvantaged for choosing a much harder subject?. It's balanced out by the fact that gen. math. is hell easy, therefore you are expected to get a VERY good mark. If you get like 70 in the exam, it scales to like 50, but if you get arounf the 90s, they leave that mark relativelty unaltered.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Yehhh, Alexander is quite right. Since our school is stingy , they cut our Advanced numbers, unfortunately i was sick for 2 months so i was dropped as i was in like the bottom 5. I do General now and yehh its hell easy! But like its not hard to get 80 in a test, so why should it be scaled up? Im doing Maths with people who didnt even know what merciless meant.

General does have its advantages though, it allows me to concentrate on Phys, Chem, Bio, Adv and Extension English.
Take general for what it is.. lame.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
The one thing u have to remember , if you are planning to do a Accounting degree ( and possibly some of the other busineess or Economics degree or some other degrees ) you will have had have done the Unit 2 Mathamatics Course.

If you are doing general maths at the moment , you will have to a bridging course which is ( i think) 6 weeks and you will have to do all the work in the 2 year course for unit 2 maths.

But I do agree with that if you do well you you wont get scaled down , but you also have to look at the flip side , and look at the degrees you want to do.

But it is really up to the Individual ( you) to make up the minds what is right for them ( you)

chantelle87

If im doing general maths and want a uai of like 90 or over what do i need to get in maths to avoid bad scaling

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by chantelle87
If im doing general maths and want a uai of like 90 or over what do i need to get in maths to avoid bad scaling
I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess you'd need to get into the 90s.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Alexander
You guys must be joking...OF COURSE gen. math is scaled down. Why should someone doing mathermatics be dissadvantaged for choosing a much harder subject?. It's balanced out by the fact that gen. math. is hell easy, therefore you are expected to get a VERY good mark. If you get like 70 in the exam, it scales to like 50, but if you get arounf the 90s, they leave that mark relativelty unaltered.
Exactly!

Reality is, anyone doing General damn well should be worried about scaling. I made a mediocre effort for all my subjects for HSC and achieved a pretty reasonable UAI. How? Because all my subjects were high scaling, except for Standard English. Now if I made such an identical effort in a new set of piss easy subjects, I should of effectively kissed university goodbye.

Beaker

I'd much prefer spend my schooling years doing subjects i like rather than pick them on scaling...

me 4 unit english is gonna be good.. general maths won't be a problem as im ranked 1 in the year.. theres more to it than just scaling haha

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I did mostly low scaling subjects and I performed well in all of them, and I wasn't really affected at all (90+ UAI). Ranking is important, as well as doing subjects you prefer/enjoy. I had this argument back during the HSC. It really shits me when 2/3/4 uniters come into a general math forum acting high and mighty. You don't even do general, it's an entirely different math course. It'd be like me going into the standard english forum telling them all about how shit their scaling is and how "piss easy" standard is, when in fact many of them probably find it difficult for whatever reason, which is perfectly ok. General isn't exactly a walk in the park. Just fuck off, you have no purpose here.

Last edited:

Miffy

Originally posted by Lundy
I did mostly low scaling subjects and I performed well in all of them, and I wasn't really affected at all (90+ UAI). Ranking is important, as well as doing subjects you prefer/enjoy. I had this argument back during the HSC. It really shits me when 2/3/4 uniters come into a general math forum acting high and mighty. You don't even do general, it's an entirely different math course. It'd be like me going into the standard english forum telling them all about how shit their scaling is and how "piss easy" standard is, when in fact many of them probably find it difficult for whatever reason, which is perfectly ok. General isn't exactly a walk in the park. Just fuck off, you have no purpose here.
Well said. I totally agree.

Kimmi_R

hey i do general and scaling depends on more than just your mark. if it is a really hard est and most people do badly or the average is low you get scaled up. i suck at maths big time. in the trail i got raw mark of 25 and got scaled up to 47% so it depends on how well the rest of the ppl doing the coures go not ur mark alone! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)