• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (12 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
kobz said:
my friend u ever heard of prophet Muhamad,, a single man that created the fastest growing religion on eearth, that is mircle itself.... u want anoder true fact...the most common name in the world is Muhamad......and ur explaination for everything is "by chance" which isnt reali confincing
Yes I've heard of Mohammed, as I was born into an Islamic family.

We had many muhamad family friends that just means the name is cliched, for instance I also kno a person named John Smith.

Do you know him? Statistically you should have a higher chance of hearing that name than others. That doesn't mean the 1st John Smith was a prophet of great aura.

We have so many examples of "chances" around, think of evolution.

Species with better traits of mutations will go on and reproduce more of themselves, others may get reduced in numbers and they may become extinct.

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't believe it's possible to amass all knowledge about any 1 thing, personally. With a religion such as Islam... I think you've got no chance.

Have you studied ALL religions? If not (I'm guessing not ;) ) then how do you know you would not 'see the truth' in another.
bcuz the only possible religions that could be true are the ones wid books from God....the otheres u can use logic 2 see that they are redicoulous eg worhshipin the cow which u can actuclyy EAT lol

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
bcuz the only possible religions that could be true are the ones wid books from God....the otheres u can use logic 2 see that they are redicoulous eg worhshipin the cow which u can actuclyy EAT lol
You're missing the point. The authenticity of these books cannot be confirmed, and never will be confirmable. As I said, your beliefs are based on faith, not fact. Just realise that and everything will be fine.

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
Indecipherable paragraph that makes zero sense? Check.
wat doesnt make sense.... you say the Quran could be forged...in the Quran God changelles that with that verse, mankind cant even create anyy chapter like it till this day, with many failed attempts aswell

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
nah- im a Christian.
Catholicism is a branch of christianity. Chances are your faith was a branch of Catholicism.
Anyway, I believe the idea for purgatory comes from the idea that jesus wiped away all sin, or something along those lines. One of the reasons i can remember that protestants reject it, is because the bible clearly forbids communication with the dead or something.

How do you know they are the ones with books from god?

wat doesnt make sense.... you say the Quran could be forged...in the Quran God changelles that with that verse, mankind cant even create anyy chapter like it till this day, with many failed attempts aswell
What constitutes it being 'like' it? I can write a chapter with words that mean things... a chapter in the koran is a chapter with words that mean things - have I met the challenge? If not, what exactly is the challenge.

Last edited:

kobz

HSC
c_james said:
You're missing the point. The authenticity of these books cannot be confirmed, and never will be confirmable. As I said, your beliefs are based on faith, not fact. Just realise that and everything will be fine.
u reject all of history?? it wasnt just muslim historians or christian historians that talked about Jesus or Muhamad or Moeses

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
They can, and they did. Hello? The Bible/Torah (authored BEFORE the Qur'an)? The Buddhist canons? Hindu Sanskrit texts?

Yeah, exactly. And NONE OF THEM are confirmable as having been divine in origin. The reason none are written today is because their authors end up in mental institutions, unless you're Ron Hubbard.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Catholicism is a branch of christianity. Chances are your faith was a branch of Catholicism.
Anyway, I believe the idea for purgatory comes from the idea that jesus wiped away all sin, or something along those lines. One of the reasons i can remember that protestants reject it, is because the bible clearly forbids communication with the dead or something.

How do you know they are the ones with books from god?

What constitutes it being 'like' it? I can write a chapter with words that mean things... a chapter in the koran is a chapter with words that mean things - have I met the challenge? If not, what exactly is the challenge.
since the reformation we broke away from the catholic church...their traditions add on to the Bible...theres alot more to say...like regarding Mary and all those saints, purgatory, the role of the priest- even calling him 'father'...etc

i understand that there are many similarities regarding salvation through Jesus, however for me, as i've seen in the Bible, forgiveness is through Him alone...

i dont see where Catholics get alot of their practices from. (sorry if it doesnt make sense?)...bottom line i believe in the Bible alone...no addding on.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
u reject all of history?? it wasnt just muslim historians or christian historians that talked about Jesus or Muhamad or Moeses
I embrace history - I'm currently majoring in it. I reject blind religious encroachment on the erudite field of history. Just because Muhammad and Jesus existed doesn't mean they were a prophet or the son of God respectively.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
u reject all of history?? it wasnt just muslim historians or christian historians that talked about Jesus
Actually I think you'll find that NO historians talk about jesus that can be placed close to his timeline. The closest is 30 years after his supposed death (it could be more) and doesn't include references to much of what has become a part of the new testament.

Yes people knew about him, I believe he was a flesh and blood man.... as i'm sure c_james does.

Err... can you point me towards ANY credible historian that can be placed at the time of moses talking about him?

Anyway, the existance of a man, or even a historian claiming that they did what they say, is not proof that they did. Just as with homer's illiad, science has shown that even our ancients employed alot of artistic licence ;)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
They can, and they did. Hello? The Bible/Torah (authored BEFORE the Qur'an)? The Buddhist canons? Hindu Sanskrit texts?
lol, even point him to the Bahai religion. It is to Islam what Islam is to christianity.

i dont see where Catholics get alot of their practices from. (sorry if it doesnt make sense?)...bottom line i believe in the Bible alone...no addding on.
They get it from the bible too. It's possible for two different people to read the same book and come away with different ideas.

kobz

HSC
you people are just ignorant....goo and study religions...or if u wana sit der and use watever ur lil mind can think off ( btw is the work of the devil ) and wait till u die and risk ur soul over being 2 lazy 2 search for God thats all i can say 2 u

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
*yooneek* said:
since the reformation we broke away from the catholic church...their traditions add on to the Bible...theres alot more to say...like regarding Mary and all those saints, purgatory, the role of the priest- even calling him 'father'...etc

i understand that there are many similarities regarding salvation through Jesus, however for me, as i've seen in the Bible, forgiveness is through Him alone...

Catholicism was the first branch of Christianity to ever exist. It originated in Palestine and spread quickly through Western Europe, quickly adopted by Anglo-Saxon barbarians and Franks and Goths alike. So the question you're asking is somewhat backwards - all your practices are derived from Catholic practices, in some form or another.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
you people are just ignorant....goo and study religions...or if u wana sit der and use watever ur lil mind can think off ( btw is the work of the devil ) and wait till u die and risk ur soul over being 2 lazy 2 search for God thats all i can say 2 u
Yeah, smashing counter-argument, that.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Actually I think you'll find that NO historians talk about jesus that can be placed close to his timeline. The closest is 30 years after his supposed death (it could be more) and doesn't include references to much of what has become a part of the new testament.

Yes people knew about him, I believe he was a flesh and blood man.... as i'm sure c_james does.

Err... can you point me towards ANY credible historian that can be placed at the time of moses talking about him?

Anyway, the existance of a man, or even a historian claiming that they did what they say, is not proof that they did. Just as with homer's illiad, science has shown that even our ancients employed alot of artistic licence ;)
regarding Jesus, what about Josephus?

kobz

HSC
answer me these question

where did u come from??? (and dnt tell me ur mother cuz i already know dat )

wat caused the big bang...it cant just happen by itself

wat im tryin 2 get at is there must be a starting point, a supreem creator 4 anything 2 start, u cant just tell me it came from nowhere doesnt fit in any1s head

eg when u play those games like red alert, wat do u start with??? a base that can create everything else,,,if u were given nufin 2 start with wat can u do?????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)