• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
i understand your perspective, i was brought up in church, i believed in god, and i know the bible and how you interpret it as well as the majority of christians, perhaps even yourself.

this may or may not be aimed at you, but its for the majority of christians i have come across, since youre christian you might be able to give me an answer, plus i just want to get this off my chest first :):

can i ask what makes you think you are interpreting the bible correctly? i like micah 6:8 "he has showed you, o man, what is good. and what does the lord require of you? to act justly and to love mercy and to walk with your god"

i dont really have a problem with christians, i know they mean well, but its just that the majority of them think they have all the answers because their interpretation of the bible, and only theirs, is right. maybe im missing something here but the fact that the bible is mainly written in metaphors means that it's inevitable for branching and church divisions, differing belief systems and religious views.

i mean, do you even have any knowledge whatsoever on the history of christian culture? do you even know who introduced the idea of the trinity? how the new testament was put together? the context in which the books were written? the context behind genesis? for what purpose genesis was written? do you even recognise the literary techniques and metaphors used in genesis?

im saying this because i want justification for christians claiming evolution is a lie, from the devil etc, even the fact that many christians dont believe in evolution, yet are completely uneducated in what it even is, seems completely hypocritical. going back to micah 6:8, since you like your bible quotes, and i do realise this is old testament and youve probably never even heard of micah (OLD TESTAMENT), but, to me, and my interpretation of this verse, is that god is saying he really doesnt care what you do, as long as youre acting justly and out of love.

romans 14:17 "for the kingdom of god is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace and joy in the holy spirit, because anyone who serves christ in this way is pleasing to god and approved by men", nothing about waging war on science is there? in fact it goes on to say, verse 19: "let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification". give to science what is of science, and give to god what is gods. like i said i have no problem with people who believe in god, but seriously, the bible doesnt give you permission to attack fundamental corner stones of biology and chemistry (NOTE: i am not saying that you were, but it hopefully gives you something to think about, as many christians believe its of satan).

this is all i really care about, sorry i got side tracked, youre probably not going to read this anyway, thanks.
Hi 3unitz , that was a great post. Im not being sarcastic, Im sorry I think i DID misunderstand you before.
I love that verse you quoted , its one of my favourites:) One thing i will quickly say is , that i think verses in the bible need to be related to other verses , I dont think you can take one or two and make a belief system out of them ( though i think everyone does)
I just wanted to quickly post now , because i have assesments due, so I wont be able to write for a while...but i wanted to let you know I have read it and ill reply when I can.
Thanks for replying to me.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
What if the voices in your head say they're God, but they're not?

What if God tells you to burn things?

conics2008

HSC
God does exist!

For those atheists, im not going to bother with you, because you think this universe was brought up about CHANCE!!!!!!

You cant even explain things, soo their out of the picture, and dont get me started with apes lol.. soo go back to your cages apeiest...

and thats all my friends...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
conics2008 said:
God does exist!

For those atheists, im not going to bother with you, because you think this universe was brought up about CHANCE!!!!!!

Er, no?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah, because "God did it lol" is such a wonderful explanation of things.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I love that verse you quoted , its one of my favourites:)
You say that about every verse quoted to you. I get this massive feeling you've only actually read like 10% of the Bible and take most of your beliefs on the word of some spiritual leader with an agenda.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
You say that about every verse quoted to you. I get this massive feeling you've only actually read like 10% of the Bible and take most of your beliefs on the word of some spiritual leader with an agenda.
You make me laugh:) I never know how to take you.....
Maybe you are right ay?
Or maybe I just love the bible.
I dont even really have a pastor right now...
I couldnt say honestly that ive read it all , because I dont know...I would say that, but even if I have , I dont think Ive read it all properly , like Ezra and Lamentation , i know i havent read those properly.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Maybe you are right ay?
I couldnt say honestly that ive read it all , because I dont know...I would say that, but even if I have , I dont think Ive read it all properly , like Ezra and Lamentation , i know i havent read those properly.
hi true, I worship satan and know with all my heart that God is lying to you.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Maybe you are right ay?
This women on the bus thought I was a Catholic by the way I was acting. She invited me to her son's Bible study group to try and get me to convert to Evangelicalism. I told her I believed in salvation through good works, not faith, so we spent the rest of the trip just chatting about contemporary society and interesting geographical markings instead (which was nice, because she didn't try to force Protestantism on me).

phatchance

HSC
I feel kind of flattered when Jehovah's Witnesses try to save my soul, I think it's kind of endearing. They handed me a pamphlet last week, it had a picture on it that looked like it was out of childrens booklet, apparently paradise looks like black and Asian people with extremely nice teeth eating freshly picked apples while white people ride horses in the background.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah, I don't get that. Personally I have no interest in heaven unless it's like being on crack cocaine permanently or something; you know, something not possible down here.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Purgatory doesn't sound too bad, usually.

It's just full of non-religious people, unbaptised babies and people who picked the wrong religion.

So like... normal people? That's ok.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
The only thing heaven has going for it in most religions is that 'well, at least it's not hell, and you've only got 2 options'.
More than that, I think heaven is exciting for them because it's not nothiness. People seem really afraid of not existing.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
One thing I do not understand about the religious: why would anyone want to live forever?

For me, that's more hell than heaven.

pinkyforce7

HSC
heaven sounds very boring if its just a place with nice people in it and you get to live forever. it would be like one of them parties where noone brang alcohol and there is nothing to talk about...

but thats a pretty dull take on heaven.

noone knows what 'heaven' is like

in theory it could be the boring, never ending place that everyone is talking about. or you could look at it from a different perspective.

imagine the funnest, most blissful amazing thing you have ever experienced in your life, intensify it by an infinite amount because heaven is 'perfect'. and then being able to experience that in all its epicness for eternity. i suppose everyone would have to be 'good' and not break the rules.

but hey, if you want lots of sex, then just bet that the mormons were right and that you can marry plenty of women... lol

really, you would have to hope that the feeling doesnt pass. it would kind of suck if you got used to it. but maybe you would have to make your own fun, like rebelling against God and becoming satan ll or something.

how much someone would enjoy this 'heaven', depends on the person. Enteebee would find more pleasure in hell, seeming as he claims satanism :p

ps: im not being serious

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Kwayera said:
One thing I do not understand about the religious: why would anyone want to live forever?

For me, that's more hell than heaven.
I don't think you're very creative if you can't imagine a reality whereby you could be happy living forever. I mean sure enough there are some immortalities which sound absolutely tortuous, but then I can concieve of others that would be bliss.

really, you would have to hope that the feeling doesnt pass.
We have biological limitations and that's why 'feelings pass' etc, if you could control reality you could quite easily make it so you're always happy and interested...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)