• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
lol what? god creates a law impossible to follow, sacrifices himself for something we cant help, then says to acknowledge the sacrifice or go to hell?
it is not impossible to follow Gods law. there is not one sin that we cant get out of

Zephyrio

HSC
For the atheists out there:

Who/what started the universe? :S It was started somehow. Matter/energy did not come into existence just like that.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
boris said:
Well wait, I am confused.

Does that just mean nobody had been judged and ascended into heaven since before the verse was written, or does it mean a shitload of people are in limbo waiting for God to show himself again?
It means that when you die time stops for you (you are essentially dead as an atheist would imagine death to be) however you are resurected on judgement day, some will ascend to heaven others will not. When you die obviously you won't "remember" the part until you get resurrected so I think my christians think basically you'll die, then be resurrected and judged.

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
the historical context. I dont think it is against women at all.
So you're admitting that the Bible was influenced by the historical and cultural contexts of its time?

Does this not mean that the Bible is then infact a fallacy?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Zephyrio said:

Who/what started the universe? :S It was started somehow. Matter/energy did not come into existence just like that.
I don't know.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well because that doesn't happen until the day of judgement duh.
Are you sure about that? That isnt my understanding....

boris

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
It means that when you die time stops for you (you are essentially dead as an atheist would imagine death to be) however you are resurected on judgement day, some will ascend to heaven others will not. When you die obviously you won't "remember" the part until you get resurrected so I think my christians think basically you'll die, then be resurrected and judged.
Riiiight...

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
boris said:
So you're admitting that the Bible was influenced by the historical and cultural contexts of its time?

Does this not mean that the Bible is then infact a fallacy?
of course it was influenced by historical and cultural context that does not make it any less relevant for us today though. it is still the word of God

HalcyonSky

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no i believe that when i die I will go to heaven.
deep.

And you just owned yourself by admitting the bible was influenced by its context.

boris

Banned
HSC
Zephyrio said:

Who says it couldn't just exist?

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
of course it was influenced by historical and cultural context that does not make it any less relevant for us today though. it is still the word of God
Well actually, that's exactly what it means.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
why should historical context influence the word of god. surely someone as powerful as god wouldn't redefine his views on morality just because society changes.
no his moral views stay the same. e.g. the head covering. that has a social meaning in that time. it is still relevant for us today though

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
You don't believe in judgement day?
yes i do believe in judgement day if you are talking about revelation i think that your interpretation is a little off though. Read revelation.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Are you sure about that? That isnt my understanding....
Most Christian churches continue to uphold this belief: that there will be a general resurrection of the dead at "the end of time", as prophesied by Paul when he said, "...he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world..." (Acts 17:31 KJV) and "...there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust." (Acts 24:15 KJV).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_the_dead
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12792a.htm

emytaylor164 said:
yes i do believe in judgement day if you are talking about revelation i think that your interpretation is a little off though. Read revelation.
Which denomination are you? My 'interpretation' is that of most Christian churches.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no we can still relate though. Look at moses there is still lessons to be learned there.
It's not relevent. If you've just admitted that the Bible was influenced by the cultural and historical influences of its time, then you're basically admitting that the Bible is flawed.

If the Bible is flawed, it has no place in dictating the moral and ethical standards that humans should live by today.

You know what else had morals? Fairy tales. Look at Hansel and Gretel, there are still lessons to be learnt there.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
boris said:
It's not relevent. If you've just admitted that the Bible was influenced by the cultural and historical influences of its time, then you're basically admitting that the Bible is flawed.

If the Bible is flawed, it has no place in dictating the moral and ethical standards that humans should live by today.

You know what else had morals? Fairy tales. Look at Hansel and Gretel, there are still lessons to be learnt there.
it does not change the fact that it is the word of God and has lessons to be learned it is not flawed whatsoever

HalcyonSky

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
ok sweet. would you mind explaining the modern relevance of the quotes i posted earlier:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

If you can just explain those two I'll be impressed.
What lesson is learnt here, then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)