• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

boris

Banned
HSC
I just, I don't even have anything witty to say in rebuttal because I am truly, and honestly, shocked beyond comprehension.

boris

Banned
HSC
Fortunately for us God is anything but spiteful and vengeful.
I can think of, off the top of my head, atleast 30 disease which contradict that statement. But ok.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
If you don't accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour it would have been, as you suggest, as if you nailed him yourself, personally to that cross. Don't reject the only way you have to be made right with God.

John 14:6 said:
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me"

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
how so? some things are laws (like the law of gravity)...others are theory until proven otherwise (e.g. theory of evolution).
Inasero I am utterly confused?
Law?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
boris said:
I can think of, off the top of my head, atleast 30 disease which contradict that statement. But ok.
Diseases exist, but only as a consequence of man's decision to go against God's ways. It's not God's intention that people are afflicted with these terrible ailments. When God comes back to establish his kingdom on Earth,
Revelation 21:4 said:
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away

boris

Banned
HSC
So what was Mother Teresa's punishment for?

Mother Teresa suffered a heart attack in Rome in 1983, while visiting Pope John Paul II. After a second attack in 1989, she received an artificial pacemaker. In 1991, after a battle with pneumonia while in Mexico, she suffered further heart problems. She offered to resign her position as head of the Missionaries of Charity. But the nuns of the order, in a secret ballot, voted for her to stay. Mother Teresa agreed to continue her work as head of the order.

In April 1996, Mother Teresa fell and broke her collar bone. In August she suffered from malaria and failure of the left heart ventricle. She had heart surgery, but it was clear that her health was declining. On March 13, 1997, she stepped down from the head of Missionaries of Charity and died on September 5, 1997.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
boris said:
Why give them freewill if they're not meant to exercise it. Surely God knew giving them free will, that they would use it.
If he could anticipate they would disobey him, why give it to them?
Ask Him? Sorry I know only as much as you in this.... but...His plans are big. Much bigger than we can fathom.
Like God says in the bible "Would you condemn me to justify yourself"
I dont know why He does all He does , but i do not see what he sees.
I am sure God intended us to use our free will :)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
Lol aren't you the dinosaur girl ?
Mean old Shroe. I said something dumb in a blonde moment...so he puts it as his sig. He is so unkind :)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
boris said:
This line is useless, it's like asking why newborn babies are being punished

no one is innocent or good, everyone is evil and rotten

mankind are pathetic, vile creatures with no redeeming features, since we didn't do what we were told in the garden

...but the universe was created with us in mind! :D

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
This line is useless, it's like asking why newborn babies are being punished

no one is innocent or good, everyone is evil and rotten

mankind are pathetic, vile creatures with no redeeming features, since we didn't do what we were told in the garden

...but the universe was created with us in mind! :D
Come on you know better :)

Gerald10

HSC
While we are playing q and a with the christians...

God is all powerful...yes?
Hence God can allow access to his kingdom regardless. Yet he killed and tortured his only son to do something he could have just done anyway. Thats pretty dark... and melodramatic.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
boris said:
It's not a punishment, please would you stop referring to it as such. Death and disease entered the world as a consequence of Adam and Eve's original rebellion. There are certain rare instances in the Bible where God personally punishes people by striking them down with death or disease (e.g. Ananias and Sapphira in Acts) but in general that's not how God operates. We all have to live in a fallen world.

Furthermore, pobody's nerfect. Not me, not the Pope not even Mother Teresa. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"- if we tried make ourselves right with God by our actions we'd all still fall hopelessly short. Fortunately, God provides Jesus as the perfect sacrifice so we can be made right with God.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Gerald10 said:

Hence God can allow access to his kingdom regardless. Yet he killed and tortured his only son to do something he could have just done anyway. Thats pretty dark... and melodramatic.
again the 'we' :) Lol.
God is all powerful. But he has restricted himself. He gave us free will.... A & E stuffed it up...we were all stuffed.
He couldnt take our free will away. HE IS HIS WORD. Its hard to explain....but you know how there are physical laws? There are also spiritual laws.

BradCube

HSC
Gerald10 said:

I'll dissect this one. While yes, under Christianity one characteristic of God is his omnipotence. This doesn't allow him to do things which are logically incoherent (such as creating square circles). I regard this in much the same sense, as God simply allowing people to go to heaven when it is not logically compatible with his sense of justice and opposition to evil.

edit: seems I was beaten, although with a pretty different answer :p

Gerald10

HSC
Ok spiritual laws... isn't one of them that is God is limitless in his power? Hence Jesus didn't need to die for our sins to be redeemed.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Gerald10 said:
Ok spiritual laws... isn't one of them that is God is limitless in his power? Hence Jesus didn't need to die for our sins to be redeemed.
Yes he did.
GOD gave us free will. His word is eternal.
His plan...we do not comprehend it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)