• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
did u specifically read the bible to look for things that u think are wrong
Having read the Bible many times over the past 15-odd years, they tend to come up especially when you're not brainwashed to take it as literal truth. There's only so much suspension of disbelief one can have.

I LOVE the verses where God condones molestation of girls by their fathers. It's lovely. I wish I could find the verse again.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
boris said:
You don't honestly believe that disease, and the pathology of the human body is all a result of Gods punishment?

Just so we're clear.
I believe in the above, and not ashamed to say so.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
inasero said:
I believe in the above, and not ashamed to say so.
I'd like to know your name so I can NEVER has you as my Doctor.

You don't even know how to use the word "theory" correctly in a scientific context. Frak.

BradCube

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
hey if there was a 100% definitive genetic test that could determine if someone was going to be a homosexual in the early stages of pregnancy, would you support abortions for these people? :D
Ha ha, this was gold. Reminds me of an episode of Scrubs where they test if a baby is gay by playing YMCA and seeing if it dances :p

On a more serious note though, the answer to your question would be a no, since the bible does not condemn homosexuals, but homosexual acts. Killing a human for being a homosexual would be equal with killing a human because they are sinful (ie everybody).

Also, are we seriously arguing that Adam and Eve were/weren't married?

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I don't know why you continue arguing with these fundie idiots. It's like you want to rage.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
BradCube said:
Ha ha, this was gold. Reminds me of an episode of Scrubs where they test if a baby is gay by playing YMCA and seeing if it dances :p

On a more serious note though, the answer to your question would be a no, since the bible does not condemn homosexuals, but homosexual acts. Killing a human for being a homosexual would be equal with killing a human because they are sinful (ie everybody).

Also, are we seriously arguing that Adam and Eve were/weren't married?
i think we established that they were

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Kwayera said:
I'd like to know your name so I can NEVER has you as my Doctor.

You don't even know how to use the word "theory" correctly in a scientific context. Frak.
how so? some things are laws (like the law of gravity)...others are theory until proven otherwise (e.g. theory of evolution).

boris

Banned
HSC
Stevo. said:
I don't know why you continue arguing with these fundie idiots. It's like you want to rage.
Rage.
It's addictive.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
boris said:
Okay.
Was just asking.
I should probably clarify. God's not vengeful and according to the Bible God's plan was for Adam and Eve to live in perfect harmony with God and each other in the Garden of Eden forever, so in short death and disease came about as a consequence of man(kind) exercising their free will and deciding to disobey God.

BradCube

HSC
inasero said:
how so? some things are laws (like the law of gravity)...others are theory until proven otherwise (e.g. theory of evolution).
Oh oh, now you've done it ... snap

boris

Banned
HSC
inasero said:
I should probably clarify. God's not vengeful and according to the Bible God's plan was for Adam and Eve to live in perfect harmony with God and each other in the Garden of Eden forever, so in short death and disease came about as a consequence of man(kind) exercising their free will and deciding to disobey God.
Why give them freewill if they're not meant to exercise it. Surely God knew giving them free will, that they would use it.
If he could anticipate they would disobey him, why give it to them?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'd just like to posit that all Biblical realists are idiots.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Kwayera said:
Close enough to. Which makes all us logical, scientifically-minded people go "METHUSELAH LIVED 1000 YEARS? I CALL BULLSHIT! HAYFLICK LIMIT! OXIDATIVE STRESS!" etc.
or you could actually believe it and accept that they did live around 1000 years no? and i explained how they could have lived that long already.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
inasero said:
jesus h. fucking christ on a bicycle built for two

my year 9's have a better understanding of the nature of science than you do :cool:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
inasero said:
What.

A law is a mathematical application; physical laws are a scientific generalization based on empirical observations of physical behavior. It has these properties:

* True, at least within their regime of validity. By definition, there have never been repeatable contradicting observations.
* Universal. They appear to apply everywhere in the universe. (Davies, 1992:82)
* Simple. They are typically expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. (Davies)
* Absolute. Nothing in the universe appears to affect them. (Davies, 1992:82)
* Stable. Unchanged since first discovered (although they may have been shown to be approximations of more accurate laws—see "Laws as approximations" below),
* Omnipotent. Everything in the universe apparently must comply with them (according to observations). (Davies, 1992:83)
* Generally conservative of quantity. (Feynman, 1965:59)
* Often expressions of existing homogeneities (symmetries) of space and time. (Feynman)
* Typically theoretically reversible in time (if non-quantum), although time itself is irreversible. (Feynman)

A theory is clearly different. It is a... coherent collection of proven facts.

A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections, inclusion in a yet wider theory, or succession. Commonly, many more specific hypotheses may be logically bound together by just one or two theories. As a rule for use of the term, theories tend to deal with much broader sets of universals than do hypotheses, which ordinarily deal with much more specific sets of phenomena or specific applications of a theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)