• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Not necessarily. If he appeared from the clouds and confirmed the bible was all true. Then started fucking shit up if people disobeyed it. I'd start believing and following the bible. But the idea of something like that happening seems so inconceivable.

Therein lies the problem for theists. An all powerful being could easily behave in such a way that would make his existence and his wishes very clear. This would not require limiting free will, merely giving us the information we need to believe and behave according to his moral code.

So why all the smoke and mirrors god?
He doesnt want that i guess. The faith thing is very important to him....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
KFunk said:
Much appreciated *true* (I too have a wise grandfather to whom I look up). Really I am just a 20 year old upstart of an undergraduate with philosophy on the brain. Mind you, it seems to have become more than just a casual interest - I probably spend most of my time reading philosophy/brain-related science books, much to the detriment of my medical studies I'm sure. I'm still trying to work out how I can dig my ideal world niche of psychiatry and philosophy, though at least I can take comfort from the fact that it has been done before (many times over).
What about the maths man? The maths. :(

CharlieB said:
Question for all you atheists/agnostics - what would it take for you to drop your beliefs and convert to a form of theism?
Belief or respect? I believe the Chinese government exist, but I loathe them, and their methods and ideology. There are certain conceptions of God I'd respect, and certain ones I certainly wouldn't. Essentially, I'd be more inclined to respect a God that's not omnipotent and/or omniscient.

Still, basically, I'd need scientific evidence.

I suppose a visit would work. I've a stable mind, and I trust it (excepting if I were on psychedelics, immensely sleep deprived, or on an anticholinergic like belladonna or datura). It would need to be an explicit, lucid, persistent (for several minutes) visit, not an implicit 'sign'.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I'd be fairly frustrated if I had kids who didn't even believe that I existed. I would be pretty sorely tempted to prove it to them with a punch to the head. I don't understand why God would go to all this trouble to create us and then only give the vaguest of reasons for us to believe in him. Of course a theist will reply that God has a purpose we cannot understand etc etc which is fair enough but also seems like a cop out to be used everytime some part of their beliefs can't be explained even to their own satisfaction if not to the satisfaction of non believers :/

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slidey said:
What about the maths man? The maths. :(
Aye, I know, but I have managed to find my fill within philosophy --> <3 formal logic. Things like set theory and modal logic give me plenty to sink my teeth into. As a bonus I've found that the accompanying philosophy is often quite interesting, e.g. the question of how we go about choosing things like domain of quantification and possible world semantics for modal logic, or what to do with naive set theory in light of its inconsistency. But yes, I have dropped that ball somewhat.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Why? Why is it important that people believe in him in the absence any compelling evidence to suggest they should? What does this achieve?
Well ,I'd ask him.
But i do think partly because he wants us to know that He is God , and so , is completely out of our range of understanding.
There is a bible verse that really answers your question...

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
why though? it makes no sense. i dont even want to be here, its not my fault adam and eve did the naughties :vcross:
Hmmm. Maybe you arent as important as you think you are? Maybe the only thing that makes you important is the fact that God loves you?
I dont understand either Sam.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'd be fairly frustrated if I had kids who didn't even believe that I existed. I would be pretty sorely tempted to prove it to them with a punch to the head. I don't understand why God would go to all this trouble to create us and then only give the vaguest of reasons for us to believe in him. Of course a theist will reply that God has a purpose we cannot understand etc etc which is fair enough but also seems like a cop out to be used everytime some part of their beliefs can't be explained even to their own satisfaction if not to the satisfaction of non believers :/
I know..... but believers arent as sceptical, once the choice to have faith is made.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'd be fairly frustrated if I had kids who didn't even believe that I existed. I would be pretty sorely tempted to prove it to them with a punch to the head.
o_O

Edit: Oh crap, I read that as:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'd be fairly frustrated if I had kids who didn't believe what I believed. I would be pretty sorely tempted to prove it to them with a punch to the head.
Oops.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
God does punch people in the head. Tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, bushfire etc etc.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
There is no proof for the existence of God that an atheist would accept.
What proof for zeus would you accept? To my mind at least asking 'what proof would you need to accept an illogical personal god' is basically the same as asking 'what proof would you need that a square can be a circle or that 1+1=6?'

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
God does punch people in the head. Tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, bushfire etc etc.
Nah, those are caused by the Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves).

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Confession:
I have wondered whether faith was invented to stop me from asking too many questions.... Im sure it wasnt though.
Does anyone know what KFunk's name is? I bet it is Edward or something like that , lol :)
Nerds usually have odd names....not that KFunk is a nerd....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)