Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Honestly this is utterly hilarious. Are you theists really saying that all you have in the end, in defense of your beliefs is 'nothing' but you believe it because 'somehow/I don't know how'? Hilarious. If you guys really want to take up such a position go ahead, but I call victory. When the opposition resorts to offering nothing in defense of their position and just states that they believe it's true you've reached about as close to a victory as you ever can in an argument.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Enteebee said:
Honestly this is utterly hillarious. Are you theists really saying that all you have in the end, in defense of your beliefs is 'nothing' but you believe it because 'somehow/I don't know how' you think it's true? Hillarious. If you guys really want to take up such a position go ahead.
do they ever have any other position (when you push the issue)? :/

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
do they ever have any other position (when you push the issue)? :/
They will make arguments such as the cosmological argument etc... Or they'll have a conception of God which is perhaps harder to take issue with (often though I find this is just a game, you can't pin their god down to anything and when you do find a flaw he'll just lose that aspect of his character).

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
Think of it this way a small child just believes in God (well all the ones i have worked with) not a doubt in there mind that it is true, they don't need a reason to believe this they just do, It is the same with me i dont need a reason to believe it i just do.
But, as Chadd would so readily point out, children have the same attitude with respect to santa claus and other entities (heading in a more controversial direction I would suggest that similar 'tacit acceptance' of certain claims takes place in the moral domain as well).

However, note that you don't simply open your mind up as a child and let it happen. If this was all you did you would also accept santa claus and other similar entities. Somehow you filter which beliefs you accept - i.e. you are selective. You really need to be able to explain why this is so because any recourse to a position of the form "simply open your mind in the manner of X" doesn't seem to explain why god-beliefs are admitted whilst others are not. It is an incomplete explanation.

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
well you couldn't possibly expect anyone who wasn't born christian to convert then

==> whether you're saved or not depends entirely on what family you were born into :eek:
I am from a non-christian family

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Honestly this is utterly hilarious. Are you theists really saying that all you have in the end, in defense of your beliefs is 'nothing' but you believe it because 'somehow/I don't know how'? Hilarious. If you guys really want to take up such a position go ahead, but I call victory. When the opposition resorts to offering nothing in defense of their position and just states that they believe it's true you've reached about as close to a victory as you ever can in an argument.
God chose the foolish things of the world....
Foolish = stupid, showing lack of sense.
You win your argument that through rational thought we cannot prove God. Ive always thought that....
Does seem unfair of God to expect me to believe like this.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Enteebee said:
Ex nihilo nihil fit.

Out of bogus non-arguments no conclusions will flow.

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Okay fair enough description but you can see my problem. You're saying you don't need a reason to believe. If this is true, there must be a reason why you don't need a reason, and a reason for that and a reason for that.

Everything has a reason, at some point. Even faith based belief.
That is what faith is though you dont need to have a reason to have believe what you believe, you just believe it. It is been sure of what you know and what you can not see.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
KFunk said:
Ex nihilo nihil fit.

Out of bogus non-arguments no conclusions will flow.
It continues to bolster in my mind that Dennett is right: 'Belief' in God isn't a "real" belief at all, a belief at the very least requires some reasoning to it.... when you have no reasoning for a belief I would just call it a 'hope'.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
It continues to bolster in my mind this idea that it isn't a "real" belief at all, a belief at the very least requires some reasoning to it.... when you have no reasoning for a belief I would just call it a 'hope'.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for , the evidence of things unseen...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Fine. If faith is just hope then you don't really believe God exists, you're engaging yourself in fantasy because you hope it's true. You could just save atheists the trouble and say this, it means we're both atheists (you don't believe in a god) I'm just more comitted to living reality, even if some parts of it aren't that nice at all.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Why don't you enlighten us on your 'complex religious beliefs'?
I was trolling when I said that...

Where are the atheists that believe "the universe made its self" ? It's a straw man.
Bull. Shit

Either God made the universe by clicking his fingers, God started the big bang/or alternate scientific theory, or there is no God/diety and the universe essentially sprang from nothing, creating itself over time. Imo the 2nd one is the most feasible.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Bull. Shit

Either God made the universe by clicking his fingers, God started the big bang/or alternate scientific theory, or there is no God/diety and the universe essentially sprang from nothing, creating itself over time. Imo the 2nd one is the most feasible.
Sprang from nothing? Our universe in some form has always existed, it has however changed form since time began around 13.7 billion years ago. To ask where it came from is silly because questions such as these only make sense within space/time.

Alternatively an atheist might simply... not know how the universe came into being.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
*TRUE* said:
A lot of people have faith in a lot of things that never come to fruition.

Just so you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)