• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
*TRUE* Have you ever seen what you believe to be a true miracle, which could not have been anything else but the work of God? I don't mean like... the existence of love in the world nor medical cases which can easily be shown to be within the scope of nature, I mean things which just couldn't have been without a supernatural God at work.
tbh ( i will be with you)I wouldnt know what consituted a miracle , for sure , there are things that have happened in my life that I have atrributed to God, and say ,in my mothers life....but i think someone could find an argument or explanation..does that make sense?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
If there is an argument or an explanation, it isn't a miracle.

Schroe summed it up nicely. CBF finding it, but something something about it suspending the laws of physics and shit.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
All I heard was "100 people killed themselves because they thought they saw jesus", I think my example shows how this can happen without the need for their claim to actually be true... If you want to talk about lives lived dangerously/devoted to their belief then what about all the other extremist religions? Surely if this were true then the most extreme sects of any religion would be those closest to the truth?
Well , yes , exactly- that is what i was saying.
Muslim extremists die for their cause readily.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
tbh ( i will be with you)I wouldnt know what consituted a miracle , for sure , there are things that have happened in my life that I have atrributed to God, and say ,in my mothers life....but i think someone could find an argument or explanation..does that make sense?
Well I think that's just false attribution spurred on by a hope to believe it's true. If I were to say my posting in this thread is a miracle you'd go "well... I can understand without a god how one could come to be posting in a thread" and you wouldn't consider it a miracle, for it to be a true miracle I think it'd have to be something which we truly have no explanation for. TBQH While I don't think it logically follows that it would mean a God exists, if someone could really turn water into wine with no natural way for us to explain it I would probably believe there's a god.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Enteebee said:
*TRUE* Have you ever seen what you believe to be a true miracle, which could not have been anything else but the work of God? I don't mean like... the existence of love in the world nor medical cases which can easily be shown to be within the scope of nature, I mean things which just couldn't have been without a supernatural God at work.
I see your point, but as I said people don't come to salvation through logical reasoning otherwise 1) salvation would depend on our own works, and;
2) people who develop cogntive impairment and stillborn babies would never receive salvation.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
this page was an evil occasion, wasn't it?

haha sorry couldn't help myself

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
inasero said:
I see your point, but as I said people don't come to salvation through logical reasoning otherwise 1) salvation would depend on our own works, and;
2) people who develop cogntive impairment and stillborn babies would never receive salvation.
You could come to salvation through logical reasoning if you wanted to. The babies and disabled will be saved anyway because God's a pretty good guy like that but if someone decided for some reason that believing in God was the logical thing to do that's also okay, right? (Even if from where I'm sitting it's not possible, but whatever)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
So? Can you explain why those things must necessarily be true? Anyway the whole argument is redundant without logic... If you want to abandon it as pointless for certain things then I'll merely ask you why you don't abandon it for others. People don't come to believe in love pixies through logical reasoning otherwise 1) Then they couldn't feel love is true and 2) The love pixies would lose their mystery and mystery is a component of love.

-----------------------

Salvation instead depends on god imbuing us with an unequal ability to be receptive to his message, i.e. God created us right? Even if he gave us free will it's obvious to me that some of us were made/put on this earth in places to make us more susceptible to his message than others - I.e. whatever it is about a persons soul that makes one more able to accept jesus than others, god gave us that.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well I think that's just false attribution spurred on by a hope to believe it's true. If I were to say my posting in this thread is a miracle you'd go "well... I can understand without a god how one could come to be posting in a thread" and you wouldn't consider it a miracle, for it to be a true miracle I think it'd have to be something which we truly have no explanation for. TBQH While I don't think it logically follows that it would mean a God exists, if someone could really turn water into wine with no natural way for us to explain it I would probably believe there's a god.
Yes, i definately want it to be true :)
I dont really have an explanation for some things...what i was meaning was that i am sure someone could come up with an argument.
I actually think that someone could come up with an explanation for 'water turning into wine'...if they really wanted to :(

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
u-borat said:
no, mortal beings also have faith.
"I think x is true because I do and I really, really hope it!" - Bad logic. My point is that something like faith is not independent of some sort of logic system.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
"I think x is true because I do and I really, really hope it!" - Bad logic. My point is that something like faith is not independent of some sort of logic system.
And because millions of people around the world do...mayhaps leads credence to the idea that if enough people believe in something, thatta something is created.

No idea; but I'm fine with religious people who acknowledge all they're going on is 'faith'.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
And because millions of people around the world do...mayhaps leads credence to the idea that if enough people believe in something, thatta something is created.

No idea; but I'm fine with religious people who acknowledge all they're going on is 'faith'.
Religious people arent the only ones that appear to work on that supposition.
Lol , its like that retard on ABC saying that 'everyone knows climate change is due to xyz'.
People DO tend to accept what they hear is majority consensus.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but that has factual basis done by scientists and researchers.

The closest thing to evidence in religion is a highly questionable written source.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i dismiss the evolution theory simply because i find it hard to grasp that tiny molecules over trillion of years formed together and evolved to create humans etc etc etc it sounds just as dumb as the Adam and eve story.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
bigboyjames said:
i dismiss the evolution theory simply because i find it hard to grasp that tiny molecules over trillion of years formed together and evolved to create humans etc etc etc it sounds just as dumb as the Adam and eve story.
Age of the universe is thought to be about 13.7 billion years i think, not trillions....sorry if you were trying to be more figurative that factual...still , thats a pretty big jump :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)