• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Schroedinger said:
^^ That's utter bullshit.

Some very simple things to prove god's existence:

* Some direct intervention by a foreign force (then again this could just be another civilisation... powerful enough technology looks like magic to people)
* An alien race that believes in the same religion (So it's not an anthropocentric revelation)
* A direct suspension of any laws of nature that indicate a 'miracle'.

Really, really, really simple criteria. Try and argue your way around that one you feckless intellectual vagrants
If resurrection after three days and turning water into wine doesn't do it for you, then I wonder what evidence you could possibly need?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
If resurrection after three days and turning water into wine doesn't do it for you, then I wonder what evidence you could possibly need?
Prove these things happened.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
it depends what you consider proof, I think that hundreds of people dying all because they claimed to see jesus, is pretty good proof, why would you die for a lie?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
it depends what you consider proof, I think that hundreds of people dying all because they claimed to see jesus, is pretty good proof, why would you die for a lie?
Suicide bombers - didnt think they were dying for a lie.....

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Fanatic zealots will kill themselves all the time in moments of extreme religious euphoria etc To quickly refute your argument: What about the manson family? Is Charles Manson God? Plenty of people have died because they're delusional.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
WHY INDEED!
Refer to my previous statements about if you get enough people saying something is true, people will believe it!

Tell a blind man there is such a thing as a sky. He can't see it, he might question you, but get 100 people to tell him there is a sky and why will he doubt it? IF YOU GET ENOUGH PEOPLE SAYING SOMETHING IS TRUE, THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS THROWN OUT THE WINDOW.

Why indeed!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
You'd have to read up on it.
*TRUE* Have you ever seen what you believe to be a true miracle, which could not have been anything else but the work of God? I don't mean like... the existence of love in the world nor medical cases which can easily be shown to be within the scope of nature, I mean things which just couldn't have been without a supernatural God at work.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
WHY INDEED!
Refer to my previous statements about if you get enough people saying something is true, people will believe it!

Tell a blind man there is such a thing as a sky. He can't see it, he might question you, but get 100 people to tell him there is a sky and why will he doubt it? IF YOU GET ENOUGH PEOPLE SAYING SOMETHING IS TRUE, THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS THROWN OUT THE WINDOW.

Why indeed!
THEY CLAIM THEY SAW JESUS, NOT BELIEVE, saw with there own eyes, hands and feet with holes and all.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Fanatic zealots will kill themselves all the time in moments of extreme religious euphoria etc To quickly refute your argument: What about the manson family? Is Charles Manson God? Plenty of people have died because they're delusional.
That example doesnt QUITE cut it for me Enteebee , a moment is different to a life lived very dangerously with a threat of death ever present.
Hence my own comment about suicide bombers.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
yeah, and i can see hundreds of people dying on the news; why doesn't jesus do anything about that?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
THEY CLAIM THEY SAW JESUS, NOT BELIEVE, saw with there own eyes, hands and feet with holes and all.
But YOU! haven't seen it. So why do you believe that they saw it?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
Suicide bombers - didnt think they were dying for a lie.....
no but believing in a religion and dying for that is different to actually seeing something with your own eyes and touching it, and then dying cos you told people.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Enteebee said:
true that, believeing in something strongly enough doesn't necessarily make it true.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no but believing in a religion and dying for that is different to actually seeing something with your own eyes and touching it, and then dying cos you told people.
No... I think they're quite similar?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
That example doesnt QUITE cut it for me Enteebee , a moment is different to a life lived very dangerously with a threat of death ever present.
Hence my own comment about suicide bombers.
All I heard was "100 people killed themselves because they thought they saw jesus", I think my example shows how this can happen without the need for their claim to actually be true... If you want to talk about lives lived dangerously/devoted to their belief then what about all the other extremist religions? Surely if this were true then the most extreme sects of any religion would be those closest to the truth?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
yeah, and i can see hundreds of people dying on the news; why doesn't jesus do anything about that?
because death is not his fault

anyway i am off to school now mum is ready to take me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)