• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Enteebee said:
*TRUE* Have you ever seen what you believe to be a true miracle, which could not have been anything else but the work of God? I don't mean like... the existence of love in the world nor medical cases which can easily be shown to be within the scope of nature, I mean things which just couldn't have been without a supernatural God at work.
I'm not *TRUE*, but I have experienced something which I can not explain. Not too long ago I experienced something which I can not explain logically, or understand "within the scope of nature". Unless ofcourse I concede that I'm mentally ill, and suffered from some form of hallucination, or a schitzophrenic episode. I understand that since you've already made up your mind on this question, you would believe the latter rather than the former.

I have not in the past had any issues with my mental health. I'm very much sane, although I can be a little paranoid at times, which I think is very normal in the modern technological age.

I think on this question you have a sane person, facing an insane person. But just as the sane can not convince the insane he's insane without him regaining his sanity, the insane can not convince the sane that he is insane.

There are many questions in our lives which are difficult to answer. This question is the most difficult of all. And it sickens me when I see militant cyber atheists who think they've got everything figured out. Most of the time they're 18-24 year olds, they attend university/college, they're of a moderate to high socio-economic status, they're white, and they think they've got it all figured out.

Seriously. Fuck off. You don't know shit. Go wank yourself over that senile biologist, or that other Islamophobic, drunkard, neocon. I don't even need to say their names, you know your clergymen.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
bigboyjames said:
i dismiss the evolution theory simply because i find it hard to grasp that tiny molecules over trillion of years formed together and evolved to create humans etc etc etc it sounds just as dumb as the Adam and eve story.
Dude... what? Have you done any chemistry at all?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Religious people arent the only ones that appear to work on that supposition.
Lol , its like that retard on ABC saying that 'everyone knows climate change is due to xyz'.
People DO tend to accept what they hear is majority consensus.
Climate change has strong causal links. Religion doesn't.

Still not the same thing, sorry.

AppleNader

HSC
Slidey said:

climate change is a myth, much like your alleged loss of virginty.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:

Yeah i know Slidey :)
I was saying that humans have a tendency to suppose that if significant numbers of people believe 'it' ('it' being almost anything) , 'it' is likely true.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yeah i know Slidey :)
I was saying that humans have a tendency to suppose that if significant numbers of people believe 'it' ('it' being almost anything) , 'it' is likely true.
Well then you used a poor example, because people aren't just believing climate change simply because everyone else does; they're believing climate change because they know it's been peer-reviewed by millions of scientific minds in the world.

There's certainly an element of faith here, sure - faith in science. But as I said, this faith is extremely well-placed because it's based on observation and experimentation.

I certainly concede that many people have faith in science without knowing much science themselves, but the clincher is that enough people do know science that it can be peer-reviewed and kept honest.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
Well then you used a poor example, because people aren't just believing climate change simply because everyone else does; they're believing climate change because they know it's been peer-reviewed by millions of scientific minds in the world.

There's certainly an element of faith here, sure - faith in science. But as I said, this faith is extremely well-placed because it's based on observation and experimentation.

I certainly concede that many people have faith in science without knowing much science themselves, but the clincher is that enough people do know science that it can be peer-reviewed and kept honest.
True that. It was just the first example to come to mind...
Also i wasnt even referring to climate change itself , rather to what is fueling it...but anyway :)
It wasnt the point.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
sam04u said:
I'm not *TRUE*, but I have experienced something which I can not explain. Not too long ago I experienced something which I can not explain logically, or understand "within the scope of nature". Unless ofcourse I concede that I'm mentally ill, and suffered from some form of hallucination, or a schitzophrenic episode. I understand that since you've already made up your mind on this question, you would believe the latter rather than the former.
Yes I would, why wouldn't you? You think you have a mind which isn't capable of being fooled/deluded? Hillarious - Ever seen a magic trick?

There are many questions in our lives which are difficult to answer. This question is the most difficult of all. And it sickens me when I see militant cyber atheists who think they've got everything figured out. Most of the time they're 18-24 year olds, they attend university/college, they're of a moderate to high socio-economic status, they're white, and they think they've got it all figured out.
I try my best to understand the universe with the tools I have... I may be but a mere fool but I'm a mere fool that's trying his hardest. Perhaps someone more enlightened such as yourself will one day be able to show me where I'm wrong.

Seriously. Fuck off. You don't know shit. Go wank yourself over that senile biologist, or that other Islamophobic, drunkard, neocon. I don't even need to say their names, you know your clergymen.
What do you know?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Damn it, Julie, I'm a single mother doing the best damn job she knows how, and damn it Schneider, I ask you to fix that damn sink two days ago.

Garygaz

HSC
This thread is infuriating, let me make my self clear, as I've tried asking before.

Big-bang is considered the beginning of time. The Big bang was caused by some kind of matter exploding, which came from where? Why was that matter there? Then if you can explain what created that matter, what created the matter that created that matter? (be it atoms or whatever)

Do you see where I am getting? You can, for infinitely long, keep asking the question, 'which came from what?' There had to be a beginning to the process, matter (in my opinion) cannot just have always been floating around in the nothingness of space. EXPLAIN PHYSICS EXPERTS

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
bigboyjames said:
i dismiss the evolution theory simply because i find it hard to grasp that tiny molecules over trillion of years formed together and evolved to create humans etc etc etc it sounds just as dumb as the Adam and eve story.
But if you dismiss the evolution theory, and Adam and Eve is just as unbelievable, then where do you think we come from?

u-borat said:
The closest thing to evidence in religion is a highly questionable written source.
And yet, millions continue to believe in it... Should we tell them they're 'delusional' as some would put it or should we let them be? It's a question that won't easily be answered, and I don't think it ever will.
emytaylor164 said:
it depends what you consider proof, I think that hundreds of people dying all because they claimed to see jesus, is pretty good proof, why would you die for a lie?
Hold on... why would they die, just because they've seen Jesus...? Did they die because they saw Jesus? Did they kill themselves because they saw Jesus? Maybe if we knew exactly how they died, this could be a more valid argument.

~untitled~

HSC
squeenie said:
But if you dismiss the evolution theory, and Adam and Eve is just as unbelievable, then where do you think we come from?
Quite clearly we all came from the cabbage patch

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
~untitled~ said:
Quite clearly we all came from the cabbage patch
Right. I don't like where this is going.

I think the question should be more along the lines of: Will we ever know where we really come from, and what does it matter to us?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Garygaz said:
This thread is infuriating, let me make my self clear, as I've tried asking before.

Big-bang is considered the beginning of time. The Big bang was caused by some kind of matter exploding, which came from where? Why was that matter there? Then if you can explain what created that matter, what created the matter that created that matter? (be it atoms or whatever)

Do you see where I am getting? You can, for infinitely long, keep asking the question, 'which came from what?' There had to be a beginning to the process, matter (in my opinion) cannot just have always been floating around in the nothingness of space. EXPLAIN PHYSICS EXPERTS
Not until you get at least a ~year 9 level understanding of the Big Bang theory and stop saying bullshit like "some kind of matter exploding", lol

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
bigboyjames said:
it's not that hard to grasp if you read a biology textbook

it's just as hard in some sense to grasp that every piece of matter in the entire universe is attracted to every other piece of matter in the universe by some sort of force that's inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two pieces of matter, and that this force is actually somehow a warping of space and time itself...

and yet you don't dismiss gravity, lol

Garygaz

HSC
Schroedinger said:
matter pops the shit out of nowhere, checks it shit out and then fucks off
QUANTUM SAYS SO

this post is real
/signed

No matter what science you believe in, you are a complete fool if you believe something can spawn from ABSOLUTELY nothing. I mean plain, nothingness space, not even a singular atom. I CALL YOUR BULLSHIT AT LEASE SOURCE YOUR THEORY.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Garygaz said:
/signed

No matter what science you believe in, you are a complete fool if you believe something can spawn from ABSOLUTELY nothing. I mean plain, nothingness space, not even a singular atom. I CALL YOUR BULLSHIT AT LEASE SOURCE YOUR THEORY.
Look if you are struggling with big bang theory (or anything related to it) I heartily recommend the following

1. Wikipedia
2. Type in Big Bang Theory/whatever concept you're after
3. Read article and chase up every concept and or word you do not understand
4. Read article again

Yeah I know wikipedia lol but whatever for the purposes of this thread its good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)