• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
There was this guy, right
Jesus?
Our saviour from sin.
He had some impact on Christianity

Though bravo at the careful and measured attempt to demolish the faith. Was v cutting. I anticipate your later findings with trepidation
Yeah ok let's forget Jesus for a minute, because the guy was clearly fruity.

God is heaps benevolent, thats why the Christian/Catholic faith is governed by fear. You only need to speak to an ex-Catholic, or read a book (especially ex Irish Catholics, they r nutz :spzz:) to see what brainwashing does to a person's psyche.

If you tell a kid from the day they're born that they're a sinner, everything they do is sinful, lustful thoughts are sinful, greed and envy = sinful. You're basically molding this kid into believing that human behavior is inherently evil. Of course they're going to follow this faith blindly, albeit probably not forever (although I guess some do).

I can't imagine going through life with such fear, knowing that no matter what I do, I'm sinful and if I don't want to imagine an eternity of torture and hell, I should get on my knees every day and pray to this benevolent being.

GG, remind me why I don't want to be a Christian.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well I totally disagree with your 'fear' interpretation. The basis of Christianity has always been love - of our neighbour and of God.

Secondary to that, it is odd to reject a faith because of perceived health benifits - in this case the 'emotional' issues surrounding 'guilt' of sin.
This is not a supermarket. We are not trying to arrange an attractive package so as to 'sell' you as a consumer of our brand.

We believe that we are articulating and living out a plan for our lives in acccordance with the will of our creator, through the example of the redeemer and the power of the holy spirit. If you think that it does not align with your vision of a life where your personal happiness is the constant goal, then youve obviously come to the wrong shop, sister.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Unconditional love is that given by a kitten, Iron.

Putting the "fear" of god into people so that they submit entirely is not love.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting
You can disagree about the fear part, but there are quite a few passages in the bible that refer to humans as being "fearfully" made. Judging by the whole ethos of praying for forgiveness every single day ...

Personal happiness might be what you think your goal is Iron, but it's not. It's personal happiness according to what somebody else has dictated personal happiness should be. Fear and submission, to me, aren't personal happiness.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Personal happiness is not my goal KT. I seek the way, the truth and the life. My instincts beyond this do not enter into it.

I do not deny that Christianity involves submission, but it is hardly to anything trivial. If you cant submit to a creator, then you can hardly believe in a creator. For sure you should have fear and doubt about a life away from God. This is human nature and cannot be avoided.
See: your deathbed

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No, I can say with honesty and clarity that I have no fear and doubt about life away from God. I have too much belief in there not being a God, to be afraid of dying without ever acknowledging him or submitting to him.

There are too many irregularities in religion, contradictions and fantasy tales for it to be anything more than a ruse to make people submit and fear. People who submit and fear are less likely to rebel and question, which is what made religion such a powerful institution a few hundred + years ago.

Brainwashing enough people into believing that not submitting = eternal damnation is a pretty good way of maintaining power. It's even more helpful if you can manipulate the word of God to suit your own agenda.

I don't see how Christianity is any different from cults like Jonestown and Children of God. Both use fear and submission.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Then yours is the most serious sin of pride. I cant really say anything useful to you in this state.
Sometimes God reveals himself to us not in a flood, but patiently, like rain

drip
drip
drip

seek and you will find KT. I wuv u

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's not pride.

If tomorrow I were to discover that God does exist, and that I was wrong all along, I'd be more than happy to acknowledge my mistake.

Remember, submission =/= free will.

i wub u 2 :shy:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I cant let that slight pass quietly.

It is a mistake to believe that Christians are some sort of poor slaves to cruel inventions. Contrary to popular myth, the theology is all about freedom - redemption, salvation, inner peace, hope reborn, TRUTH. These are the things that most benifit the 'individual', if it must be placed in these selfish terms, NOT unrestricted liberty to persue whatever sinful instinct that takes hold of us. This is a false quest and slavery to lucifer, not redemption

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I cant let that slight pass quietly.

It is a mistake to believe that Christians are some sort of poor slaves to cruel inventions. Contrary to popular myth, the theology is all about freedom - redemption, salvation, inner peace, hope reborn, TRUTH.
What truth?

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
My strong sentiments against religions are due to the ridiculous nature of these religions. There is no good, logical reason for you, me or anyone else to believe in religion. Not one shred of evidence supports the existence of God. Instead, indirect arguments aimed at what science can't yet explain are used as "proof" and "evidence" by the staunchest of religious apologists. And these arguments are a best case scenario; perhaps only the most rational religious apologists indulge in them. Most religious people would not even bother thinking of justification, for them, it's irrelevant.

Even though my faith is weak, I only believe in this higher power for internal satisfaction so I do not get wondered into the materialistic world surrounding me. Eating Halal meat, not eating pork, and all these attributes are well within being a good Muslim, but beyond that it has defined me and therefore I will keep on participating in this way of life.

have no doubt, my faith may be weak, but the day God comes down and announces his arrival in a way that leaves no doubt to his existence, I will be the first to be internally satisfied and I will not have to question my faith and the existence of a higher power ever. But till that day comes I will most likely live a life of questioning.

As someone pointed out, whatever flaws exist in Darwinism and Evolution are its strength, as this means there is constant room for improvement. This is what science is, a constant struggle for the truth. I am a believer in this scientific process of finding the truth, not evolution or Darwin as such.

Sadly, there is no such process of reason or logic when it comes to belief in religion. Blind faith however, is a prerequisite. Sadly I am one of these sheep’s.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Contrary to popular myth, the theology is all about freedom
????

Submission to god, don't do this, don't do that...sounds like the exact opposite of freedom but whatever,

- redemption, salvation,
Oh yeah, nobody has ever heard Christians mention salvation before. Pssh.

Um, wut? Seeing as though you said theology as a whole, how can ALL religions be about the turth??

NOT unrestricted liberty to persue whatever sinful instinct that takes hold of us.
If god doesn't approve of these instincts then why the hell did he hae us evolve to have them, eh?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why is instinct sinful?
Not all instinct - only sinful instincts are sinful

SylvesterBr said:
????

Submission to god, don't do this, don't do that...sounds like the exact opposite of freedom but whatever,

Oh yeah, nobody has ever heard Christians mention salvation before. Pssh.

Um, wut? Seeing as though you said theology as a whole, how can ALL religions be about the turth??

If god doesn't approve of these instincts then why the hell did he hae us evolve to have them, eh?
Lovely Kwayera said:
What truth?
/Arrogantly dismisses

SP said:
Cannot read anything by Iron without blushing
Hey SP
:cool:
hey

DarkDestiny

HSC
N/A
well technically it depends on your point of veiw, personally i don't think instincts are sinful or wrong(except the ones which make you rape, murder etc.... a person) as we would not have evolved with them if it was, eg. we don't go jumping around grunting like apes because that is the wrong sort of behaviour for the enviroment we live in.

DarkDestiny

HSC
N/A
But to the whole question, No, god has never existed and never will. I will only except he exists if he comes to my door steps and gives me a lot of money. And don't say god is in every person, otherwise there would be no bad people.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
If you tell a kid from the day they're born that they're a sinner, everything they do is sinful, lustful thoughts are sinful, greed and envy = sinful. You're basically molding this kid into believing that human behavior is inherently evil. Of course they're going to follow this faith blindly, albeit probably not forever (although I guess some do).

I can't imagine going through life with such fear, knowing that no matter what I do, I'm sinful and if I don't want to imagine an eternity of torture and hell, I should get on my knees every day and pray to this benevolent being.

GG, remind me why I don't want to be a Christian.
what about people who have not been taught that they are sinners there whole life e.g. me, I think i only really realised that when i was about 14, not my whole life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)