• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol there was this bitch right,
eve

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
OH what a web of words you weave katwee twuwee!

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
are we are supposed to believe that some being who is his own son can hear our thoughts via telepathic link and forgive us for the sin which is somehow ours caused by a woman made out of a rib being convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple?

oh my lord, help us all.

This confusion among western society was inevitable anyway with the confused way in which the founders of Christianity started their religion.

its become a total joke.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Original sin is a very fine doctrine. Amongst other things, it's the genius of our governmnet since the American Revolutions - that, given power, we will always do the wrong and selfish thing, so it must be checked! This idea has endured and saved countless millions from a cruel and arbitrary fate

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Why is it that Christian (especially Catholic) doctrine espouses the idea that we're born sinners, rather than born pure? Wouldn't it make more sense to tell people that normal society is a temptation to lead you away from your childhood purity, and that only Christianity can maintain this purity? Rather than telling everyone that everything is evil, and only through Christianity will you be saved.
Cos with the latter, I would find it incredibly tempting to just stay as I was born. I was born a sinner, immoral society only keeps me in this state and doesn't extend it and it takes effort to gain something which I'm not sure I want. If I were told that I was born pure though, I would want to just maintain that, and to avoid things which would degrade it.
It would also have no pyschological drawbacks, as any "sin" attributed to you would be directly through your own choices.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It dilutes it! lol
But infant baptism is the answer to your suggestion that we be told that we are born of purer stuff dood

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Why is it that Christian (especially Catholic) doctrine espouses the idea that we're born sinners, rather than born pure? Wouldn't it make more sense to tell people that normal society is a temptation to lead you away from your childhood purity, and that only Christianity can maintain this purity? Rather than telling everyone that everything is evil, and only through Christianity will you be saved.
Cos with the latter, I would find it incredibly tempting to just stay as I was born. I was born a sinner, immoral society only keeps me in this state and doesn't extend it and it takes effort to gain something which I'm not sure I want. If I were told that I was born pure though, I would want to just maintain that, and to avoid things which would degrade it.
It would also have no pyschological drawbacks, as any "sin" attributed to you would be directly through your own choices.
it's a convenient, if pathetic, solution to the problem of evil, and a good lead in to their snake-oil salesman style pitch:

"why do bad things happen to good people?"
"there are no good people, ALL are sinners and evil in the eye of god... BUT we have a solution just for you!"

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Oh bullshit. I like how many of you are happy to deny that man will do evil if the opportunity presents itself.
As if the total track-record of history werent enough proof

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
it's a convenient, if pathetic, solution to the problem of evil, and a good lead in to their snake-oil salesman style pitch:

"why do bad things happen to good people?"
"there are no good people, ALL are sinners and evil in the eye of god... BUT we have a solution just for you!"
Yeah, on re-reading what I wrote, it probably looks too much like karma for the Church to accept it.

tycho

HSC
I feel like I might get raped for saying this, but isn't evil a subjective thing? Most of us view the Holocaust as an 'evil' thing, but Hitler didn't think it was evil. He thought it was great.

Therefore, 'sin' is not neccessarily bad. Blasphemy is sin, but I don't view it as evil. Sex before marriage is sin, but I don't view it as evil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)