• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

sunsettah

HSC
Human's created the idea of religion to settle their ever growing curiousity.

Ever noticed that all religions are based on the same 'comforting' ideals?]

"believe and you will receive"

It's not real. In this day and age I believe you are gullible, ignorant, or incredibly scared of the truth if you literally believe in all the creationism crap.

It's full of holes, and the rules keep changing!! Just stop trying!

They're all hypocrites.

Venom.

HSC
Human's created the idea of religion to settle their ever growing curiousity.

Ever noticed that all religions are based on the same 'comforting' ideals?]

"believe and you will receive"

It's not real. In this day and age I believe you are gullible, ignorant, or incredibly scared of the truth if you literally believe in all the creationism crap.

It's full of holes, and the rules keep changing!! Just stop trying!

They're all hypocrites.
Good contribution to the current argument in the thread. Appreciated.

E

Empyrean444

Religions, one and all, are institutions designed to repress peoples and maintain the power of the powerful. Once people have true democracy - and thus are freed - skepticism results. Unfortunately, reactionary religious forces die hard, and often hit back hard and eliminate these agnostic groups and socio-political freedoms if they get the opportunity - Athens after the Peloponnesian war and modern day Iran.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Also, the continual rise of the conservative Evangelicals in l'Amerique, Muslim riots and discontent in France and Southern Europe and the creation of Hindu terrorist cells.

gifted:)

HSC
Why doesn't god forgive us of this sin then?

If god is forgiving, why do we continue to experience pain?
God does forgive us from sin. Each and everday we go to confession and repent. It is only human for us to sin. The whole reason why "God sent His beloved son into the world" so that he can save us from the sin adam commited in the garden of eden.

we continue to expereince pain, as humans tend to sin alot, even priests, we can only be freed from this pain when we confess and repent. im not here to bible bash you, but this is what i have been taught at church and from the bible.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
we continue to expereince pain, as humans tend to sin alot, even priests, we can only be freed from this pain when we confess and repent. im not here to bible bash you, but this is what i have been taught at church and from the bible.
That doesn't make sense.

You say I'll be freed of pain if I confess and repent.

However, experience tells me I'm not immune to physical pain after repenting.

That's simply not true that repenting will relieve me of my terrible spinal scoliosis. That's why morpheine exists.

HSC
That doesn't make sense.

That's simply not true that repenting will relieve me of my terrible spinal scoliosis. That's why morpheine exists.
What pain are you talking about. Spiritual or physical

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I am referring to physical pain.

lukybear said, in no ambigous way, that 'pain' (with no attached disclaimers or priviso's) was caused by sin.

He went on to say that repent and you would be forgiven for this sin. If I'm forgiven, why must I continue to suffer psysical pain?

If I'm still suffering for my sin, it's not much of a forgiveness then is it?

HSC
I am referring to physical pain.

lukybear said, in no ambigous way, that 'pain' (with no attached disclaimers or priviso's) was caused by sin.

He went on to say that repent and you would be forgiven for this sin. If I'm forgiven, why must I continue to suffer psysical pain?

If I'm still suffering for my sin, it's not much of a forgiveness then is it?
Im pretty sure that luckybear was probably reffereing that as god gave man freewill, mankind abused it, resulting in pain for poverty, war etc.

If you are truly repentant, that is not the same as confession, you will be freed from the sin you have repented. As for your physical, you can pray for a miracle or keep seeing your doctor.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Im pretty sure that luckybear was probably reffereing that as god gave man freewill, mankind abused it, resulting in pain for poverty, war etc.
more like god created us in a way such that he knew we'd "abuse" our free will and violate his laws (being omniscient) and therefore set us up to be doomed from the start

just... just watch this

YouTube - Yahweh's Delicious Creation

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's pretty rich for god to try to law blame on man for the fall, when he's omniscent.

He could have changed man's nature, and I don't buy that bullshit about it being impossible for man to have had free will and not have eaten of the tree of knowledge. There would have been another way to alter mans nature, while still having free will, and circumvent the fall.

sunsettah

HSC
That doesn't make sense.

Mmm morphine...

sinophile

HSC
N/A
God (if he exists) may have given man free will on the basis of freedom. Free will gives the man self-determination to bring about his own fate, be that committing sin or become a good man. If he is forced to be a good man by god by some method of circumvention, it ceases to be something hes earned and becomes something preordained from above. Ergo, god gave free will so humans can have self-determination and make efforts to be good worthwhile.

Venom.

HSC
God (if he exists) may have given man free will on the basis of freedom. Free will gives the man self-determination to bring about his own fate, be that committing sin or become a good man. If he is forced to be a good man by god by some method of circumvention, it ceases to be something hes earned and becomes something preordained from above. Ergo, god gave free will so humans can have self-determination and make efforts to be good worthwhile.
Good post.

Tatecress14

HSC

Freedom is gave by god? maybe...

Fate is somthing higher then self-determination.

My understanding of self-determination is to achieve somthing that you as a person wants or sometimes needs, e.g. goals, fate is where you will end up after you have achieved your goals.

By the Bible we all should be Christians and live by marriage first, then sex, and never have abortions, i dont think that is free will.

Luke.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
First off, im sorry about your brothers death, but what has that got to do with your belief in denying christ. You seem to 'diss' God, why not Allah. It seems that you have no Knowledge on christianity, thinking that our God is not merciful, He is. he gave us freewill to choose what we think is right or wrong; but mankind has taken advantage of that, hence poverty and war in the world. Secondly, you did not mention the cause of your brothers death, so that could have been his fault, your parents fault, but i doubt God aimed lightnening at him and he instantly died (sorry if i disrespect you or your brother). Thirdly, im not in an english forum, if you wish to edit peoples work or if it is an uncontrolable thing for you to do, i highly suggest you take up journalism.

If there is anything else 'sweetie', please let me know ...
so, let's say that you were ten years old and your brother dies, you wonder why, and since people praise god for things that go good, you also have to blame him for things that don't go well. and i decided that i couldn't believe in a god that let these kind of things happen. since then, i've had an education on christianity and developed the opinion that god does not exist.

what's with this allah crap? i'm an atheist you tool.

oh, so we're blaming people now are we? well why not blame your effing god for creating disease in the first place. he was a six year old that got fucking meningococcal. is that his fault? is that my parent's fault? NO. how DARE you even suggest the blame lies with these people. you're a fucking idiot. and an insensitive one at that.

hah. i couldn't think of anything worse than journalism. learn how to write your own language.

That doesn't change the fact that they're still the exact same entity, and hence you were being a moron by talking about them as different beings.

Ok, so ignorance causes poverty.
Ignorance isn't the same as the abuse of free-will. So the abuse of free-will has nothing to do with poverty.

Firstly "he" is a "her", so it's "her brother" not "his brother".
Secondly, saying "no offence" at the end doesn't detract from the fact it was offensive in the first place.
Apologise to her. Now.

I already am considering being a poltician, and exactly what in there was full of crap? The fact I asked you to have a little culture and grace? That I asked you not to abuse our language? Or you just didn't like it, so you responded with a non-sensical statement?
i heart you moll. =].

Truth be told, moll has enacted epic pwnage on gifted.
this.

sunsettah

HSC
Free will etc..

The Bible can be read two ways, 'literally' or 'not literally'

It was never meant to be read literally, as many bible bashers do.

It's a fairy tale full of many lovely metaphors, of which many are quite good I suppose.

It's also a huge contradiction.

The seventh day was supposed to be the day of rest, not Sunday.

Red meat wasn't supposed to be eaten on Friday.

People with retardations are supposed to be 'left to crawl as God intended them, and they are not worthy of sitting by the throne of God in Heaven.'
The Bible actually speaks of MANY, MANY paths to salvation, and most of these paths cater for non-believers.

Choosing what you preach & changing the rules.

Yuck yuck yuck. The whole thing: YUCK.

It's all a bunch of crap. And you aren't helping your bible bashing argument by changes the rules to suit yourselves as you go along -_-

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah cool. Technically it's not free will when you're blackmailed into following a religion due to fear of eternal damnation. You can't really call it free will when "God" gives you an ultimatum. "Sure, you can have free will and do what you like ... but if you don't follow me and my word you're gunna burn sucka. :wave:"

ZiggoCiP

HSC
I saw this and had to say something.

Stop arguing this FOR THE LOVE OF... HUMANITY! (something we can all agree on). I am best friends with some of the most devout Roman Catholics and Atheists I can ever imagine (one an avid blogger on such subjects, guess who), why? Because I'm a middle man. I don't violently shove my opinion in the faces of my oponent and I keep my religion-based opinion's between me and people i actually trust will not disregard my opinion to the wind.

Why are we still fucking talking about God and Religion? Since the dawn of Religion, there has been war. Since the dawn of man, though, we have waged battle and war alike; not just because of war. So stop using the war excuse you Atheists... please. The only reason the US invaded Iraq and fucked up the world's view on us even more (who thought it could get worse... not GWB!) was for oil and War Money. You cannot argue this point; its far too obvious to educated persons.

Anyways, stop arguing with people you dont know or do not respect. You will never change their minds, and if you think you can you are not only ignorant of history, damning us to repeat it, you are also inconsiderate of your friends whom do not share your view (if you even have any who do). I hate to argue, but i love to debate; arguments only end in one side having less or feeling worse, and one other side possibly being right. Debates end in one side feeling satisfied for having swayed the other and the other happy to be enlightened (in a perfect world; people can be sore losers even if they really are wrong).

Now go out, you Atheists and Religionites alike. You are have 46 chromosomes, no matter who gave them to do, be it a God or a process such as Evolution, so go and help your fellow man. Follow this theology, and even a Muslim and a Jew can sit down and talk friendly.

Cheers.

Oh yes, and I did not hint to my own religious beliefs for a reason; you dont know which side I would support; i dont support either and never shall I.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)