• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
no...thats why they have only been given rights in the last 50 years...and still have a glass ceiling
women are equal to men( I think you will find nearly all christian men and women believe this), as we are both created in God's image, we just have different roles, the bible says women are to be respected.

EDIT: I would say women are least respected today then they are in the bible, how often do men, objectify women purely for sex.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
no...thats why they have only been given rights in the last 50 years...and still have a glass ceiling
That's a terrible argument. The social forces that are at work in the corporate environment are far more numerous than christianity alone.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
exactly christianity can not be blamed for the lack of womens rights in the past
It can probably be blamed for some of them. Do note that biblical readings which view Eve as a being a subordinate companion to Adam and as the locus of original sin have been used to marginalise women. Take, for example, Patriarcha (c. 1680) by Robert Filmer which attempts to derive the supreme right of kings from the power structures and gender inequality of Genesis.

Christianity has played its part.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
exactly christianity can not be blamed for the lack of womens rights in the past
It can probably be blamed for some of them. Do note that biblical readings which view Eve as a being a subordinate companion to Adam and as the locus of original sin have been used to marginalise women. Take, for example, Patriarcha (c. 1680) by Robert Filmer which attempts to derive the supreme right of kings from the power structures and gender inequality of Genesis.

Christianity has played its part.
kfunk's right.

its because Biblical 'submission' and 'submission' in a broader context suggest different things. obviously this cannot be fully blamed on society, because when explained in very simple terms, the doctrine of 'equal but different' and submission between men and women in the Bible could easily be interpreted as.. "women must submit/yield to men in regard to everything all the time because thats what God established".

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
kfunk's right.

its because Biblical 'submission' and 'submission' in a broader context suggest different things. obviously this cannot be fully blamed on society, because when explained in very simple terms, the doctrine of 'equal but different' and submission between men and women in the Bible could easily be interpreted as.. "women must submit/yield to men in regard to everything all the time because thats what God established".
the thing is so many people think because we are suppose to submit to our husbands it means it we are less. we are equals with different roles, the husbands role is to lead his wife and children in a loving way and to provide, whilst submitting to God, and the women is to submit to her husbands leadership, be home with the children e.t.c. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE HERE THAT THE BIBLE DOES NOT TELL US TO SUBMIT TO ALL MEN, JUST THE HUSBAND. and of course honour your mother and father.

IT can be summarised like this:

The children (if any) submit, and honour there parents

The wife submits to her husband although they are a partnership, and the husband loves his wife and cares and leads her

the husband and wife, and children follow God.

The man is not the highest authority God is.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
because that is not the way that God, layed it out, he is to lovingly lead his wife and take care of her, and provide. it is not like a dictatorship, he is to respect her and love her.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
because that is not the way that God, layed it out, he is to lovingly lead his wife and take care of her, and provide. it is not like a dictatorship, he is to respect her and love her.
How do you know 'his' thoughts?

:D

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
no but i know what is in the bible and how he told us to arrange our household.
You just avoided the question, a skip in logic.

The Bible was written by men, yes?

Then how do you claim to personally know "God's" thoughts on the household?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The human authors had divine inspiration :eek:
Just give it up you beach bum
Convert
Naow

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The human authors had divine inspiration :eek:
Just give it up you beach bum
Convert
Naow
Explain more and I am serious. If your rational, you would think similarly. What makes you trust a bunch of uneducated men? I mean, they are literally trying to write down the "thoughts" of an unknown (perceived) entity? Accuracy is an impossibility. Were not the original "laws" of God simply spelled out by Moses? Why do you have 100 percent faith in his cognitive abilities?

If I told you that I had a revelation from God and wrote down a bunch of very generalistic "laws" would you believe me?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If you hear or read the words, you know that they are special. Everybody responds to truth when it's in front of them. They are timeless morals that strike us at the very core of our humanity

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
If you hear or read the words, you know that they are special. Everybody responds to truth when it's in front of them. They are timeless morals that strike us at the very core of our humanity
Morals that had been written down long before the time of Jesus. I am just wondering what is actually "special" about them? We have had thousands of people in the modern day claim to have "seen God" or "heard voices" in their head, starting cults etc

These people have been diagnosed as mentally ill and/or locked up (usually they become criminals). How can we be sure we haven't locked up the real Christ?

Reading the story of Moses, it does sound like a well documented case of clinical schizophrenia/related psychosis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)