Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

BlackDragon

HSC
I think that people whose morals aren't tied to the concept of a higher being are usually much more accepting and understanding of people in general.

Once again, why do religious people need a higher being to have meaning?

Last edited:

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
You can't prove God doesn't exist, btw. And you obviously haven't researched religion too well if you think that is the strongest argument we have.
You can't prove that a whole HOST of other things don't exist as well. Egyptian gods, greek gods, allah, jehova, aliens, the lochness monster, bigfoot, harrypotter-esque magic, the tooth fairy, santa clause etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

What if I professed that santa clause indeed, left presents under my christmas tree. Prove that he didn't.

What if I told you that my cat, by means of telepathy, told me to kill the prime minister. Prove that it didn't!

Or... what if I made up a god. My god exists in a completely different realm. My god is similar to your god; its omniscient, it created mankind, the earth, the universe etc.. However, my god is non-discriminatory towards homosexuals and heterosexuals, anglo-saxons and asians and negros, buddhists and atheist and catholics and muslims and jews. An actual, all loving god, if you will. IT doesn't distinguishes and only require that we are good human being. It doesn't require me to pray. It's given us the power to conduct our own laws, form our own morality, do whatever we want, though under the laws that we implemented ourselves. Prove that my god is false. C'mon I dare you. I double dare you.

Lentern

HSC
A fair follow up is why do we just assume that the higher power has any particular meaning? Great questions for greater minds than mine.

BlackDragon

HSC
A fair follow up is why do we just assume that the higher power has any particular meaning? Great questions for greater minds than mine.
I think it is all about constructing a world where there are absolutes that exist outside the human world. If there is right or wrong absolutely and the universe is black and white, then people are comforted. And I think that's the driving force behind religion, the comfort that comes from the idea that there are absolutes clearly delineated in the structure of the world. But its delusory.

But yeah, why does that necessarily give life meaning?

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
Having life as just life and nothing more gives it real meaning and beauty. The fact that we die and will decompse is not something that detracts from anything. In fact, life in its organic humility gives a delight and allows freedom. I don't like the religious notion of an afterlife, the whole thing is dreary. Why does life have to be eternal to have meaning? The fact that there is nothing more after life makes one truly free.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Having life as just life and nothing more gives it real meaning and beauty. The fact that we die and will decompse is not something that detracts from anything. In fact, life in its organic humility gives a delight and allows freedom. I don't like the religious notion of an afterlife, the whole thing is dreary. Why does life have to be eternal to have meaning? The fact that there is nothing more after life makes one truly free.

Well said! The shortness of life is what gives it value! Bravo indeed!

Edit: I mean, on your deathbed, you don't wanna be thinking about the afterlife and going, "Oh my fricken god, here we go again"

philphie

Banned
HSC
what happened to this thread? all i see now is

secksiiminh

secksiiminh

secksiiminh

BlackDragon

HSC
Well said! The shortness of life is what gives it value! Bravo indeed!

Edit: I mean, on your deathbed, you don't wanna be thinking about the afterlife and going, "Oh my fricken god, here we go again"
Yep. In fact the whole point of Hinduism and Buddhism is to not be reborn again by producing no karma. (as either positive or negative karma will cause you to reborn in a certain way). The phrase "all is dukha" is defines hinduism and means, all is suffering. Hindu people, although believing in the cycle of rebirths, think it is bad thing and want to escape it. This is the purpose of meditation.

Lentern

HSC
I think it is all about constructing a world where there are absolutes that exist outside the human world. If there is right or wrong absolutely and the universe is black and white, then people are comforted. And I think that's the driving force behind religion, the comfort that comes from the idea that there are absolutes clearly delineated in the structure of the world. But its delusory.

But yeah, why does that necessarily give life meaning?
Oh I don't think its nuts. Its fairly straight forward why a member of the major religions would think there is meaning in the next world but thats a specific belief. Its the wider agnostic argument which demands that the purpose lies in the next world whilst trying to apply it generically to all non atheistic views equally.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I think this is related to the discussion... I've never had a theist explain to me how their faith gives their life meaning. It appears to me that they find meaning in the same sort of things as me... But eh, people maintain it pretty strong.

Either way I think most of these sort of questions are very academic, because imho the vast majority of theists merely 'hope' there is an afterlife and that their god exists.

Name_Taken

HSC
I think that people whose morals aren't tied to the concept of a higher being are usually much more accepting and understanding of people in general.

Because without faith in God, your life has no meaning.

By extension, a meaningless life could be seen as a worthless one, and you'd hardly describe yourself as a worthless being?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)