• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
Whos ever watched "the god who wasnt there" You would have seen a guy being interviews, called Sam Harris. I found this little clip of him talking for some presentation. I really like the way he expresses his thoughts about religion. Its a great watch, for anyone whos on > 56k.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=116152867541418146&q=sam+harris&pl=true

Sam harris is not the guy who first appears on the video. thats just the speaker before finishing up.
that was excellent.

seriously worth it.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
sam04u said:
Lol, wow... that is my 400th contribution to this forum... i'm pleased...

Btw' to those interested in the "Human Pscyological Behaviour";
It is more commonly called sociobiology...(It explains that humans developping morals on their own... go and see how flawed it is... :rofl: )

yeah and how about you read up on supernaturalism and how flawed that is.

G

genavania

if he did have fingers he would be sticking up the middle one frequentely

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So anyway, anyone wanna answer me that... how are u so sure that the devil didn't write the bible/ koran etc. Maybe God, the 'thing' that created the universe has left us all these clues (naturalism, science) but instead we're falling prey to a stupid trick based on nothing, performed by the devil. As far as I can see 'religion' as we know it is the biggest blind-sighting the human race has experienced, if the devil is the 'great' deciever it would make sense that he invented all these religions to trick people and start wars etc.

Last edited:
G

genavania

Not-That-Bright said:
So anyway, anyone wanna answer me that... how are u so sure that the devil didn't write the bible/ koran etc. Maybe God, the 'thing' that created the universe has left us all these clues (naturalism, science) but instead we're falling prey to a stupid trick based on nothing, performed by the devil. As far as I can see 'religion' as we know it is the biggest blind-sighting the human race has experienced, if the devil is the 'great' deciever it would make sense that he invented all these religions to trick people and start wars etc.
you can never be sure. but no one is a christian because they know 100% that God exists. i guess there is a chance it may have been written by the devil. or that the korah may have been but that is the chance people of a faith take.
not saying that they dont know anything about their religion
christians and muslims are very sure they are right but as far as evidence goes there really is no certainty other than feelings they feel.

so if they were written by the devil, where does that leave us???

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
christians and muslims are very sure they are right but as far as evidence goes there really is no certainty other than feelings they feel.
Yea that's exactly what i'm trying to point out. When you have these supernatural beliefs all that you in the end are basing them on are what you feel.... now can't you go a step further and say 'well believing in things because it feels right isn't really a very smart idea' and at least become very doubtful?

G

genavania

well what else is there to put your hope in?
humanity? it has sure let us down time and time again.
they believe what they cannot see, they doubt it they challenge it and in the end they believe it.

answer me that question. if not religion or a supernatural" belief then what???

K

katie_tully

well what else is there to put your hope in?
humanity? it has sure let us down time and time again.
they believe what they cannot see, they doubt it they challenge it and in the end they believe it.

answer me that question. if not religion or a supernatural" belief then what???
Yeah, and religion has been that glimmer of hope throughout humanities failures. Ha.

G

genavania

religion has been a rock of hope which many millions of people have stood on through the failures of humans. if you think that is wrong then you are severley misguided.
i will give an example of the african slaves in america, their spiritual songs of God lifted their spirits right through.

K

katie_tully

religion has been a rock of hope which many millions of people have stood on through the failures of humans. if you think that is wrong then you are severley misguided.
i will give an example of the african slaves in america, their spiritual songs of God lifted their spirits right through.
Did you know that the first people to enslave Africans, were actually Africans? Something like 1000 years before the Africans then sold their own people to the whites?

Also, African slaves at that time where not Christian. They came from African tribes, with different cultures and a different view on religion. Their songs weren't always about how mighty and benevolent the lord God is.

G

genavania

katie_tully said:
Did you know that the first people to enslave Africans, were actually Africans? Something like 1000 years before the Africans then sold their own people to the whites?

irellevant

Also, African slaves at that time where not Christian. They came from African tribes, with different cultures and a different view on religion. Their songs weren't always about how mighty and benevolent the lord God is.

in actual fact they were. Go down Moses, We are marching in the light of God, as i went down to the river to pray, the whole genre of gospel music is derived from the plight of the african slaves

K

katie_tully

I personally don't have a problem with religions such as Buddhism, pagans and those African tribes and such. Their religions are not based on destroying the infidel, looking down on non christian counterparts, and trying to convert every person they meet.
Their religions are based on what religion should be, the self and nature.

G

genavania

webby234 said:
The bible was also used to justify slavery.

But anyway, this is about whether god exists, not about whether it is beneficial to believe in god.
whether God exists can never be proven so we have moved on from that topic

K

katie_tully

in actual fact they were. Go down Moses, We are marching in the light of God, as i went down to the river to pray, the whole genre of gospel music is derived from the plight of the african slaves
That was in America, after they had converted to Christianity. They were also often persecuted for practising their "voodoo", tribal beliefs, if I remember correctly.

G

genavania

katie_tully said:
I personally don't have a problem with religions such as Buddhism, pagans and those African tribes and such. Their religions are not based on destroying the infidel, looking down on non christian counterparts, and trying to convert every person they meet.
Their religions are based on what religion should be, the self and nature.
what religion should be is opinion. yes some religious people got it wrong and do try to killothers or go on wild conversion sprees but Jesus came to just show the way. not to force but to give another opinion.

have you ever realised that your body and all of nature will one day die? what a thing to place your soul in, something that will not last. God however goes on and on. He is somehting that lasts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)