• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (8 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Analyst

HSC
katie_tully said:
I personally don't have a problem with religions such as Buddhism, pagans and those African tribes and such. Their religions are not based on destroying the infidel, looking down on non christian counterparts, and trying to convert every person they meet.
Their religions are based on what religion should be, the self and nature.
Hi,

You have just contradicted yourself by saying u feel okay with Buddhism and tribal beliefs. Its probably because you have never read about them and what they believe in. This discussion is appropriately titled "Does God exist?" and you have very inappropriately (from your point of view) accepted the beliefs of those people who totally believe in God, his powers, attributes and fate.
Please do not confuse others by saying you are okay with some people believing in God and you oppose others believing in the SAME God. It makes you anti-Christain, Anti-Jewish and Anti-Muslim. You could go to jail for that in some countries!

:)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well different religions do have different attributes, so it is ok imo to support one religion and not another. However I would say the premise she used, that their religions don't lookdown on others, convert people, and create violence is wrong.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm sure if i looked hard enough I could find a bunch of verses talking about killing others etc, but then it would come down to the big interpretation debate again. It's not as clear cut as you wish it was, there is no 100% pure bible / koran / torah.
I'm sure there are verses about God telling people to kill others, I know there are in the Bible for sure. But None of them can be correctly related back to todays issues.

It's when the Jehovah's witnesses say only 144 thousand people will make it into heaven. Its a misinterpretation of a verse concerning only the time it refers to, not for ever.

K

katie_tully

Analyst said:
Hi,

You have just contradicted yourself by saying u feel okay with Buddhism and tribal beliefs. Its probably because you have never read about them and what they believe in. This discussion is appropriately titled "Does God exist?" and you have very inappropriately (from your point of view) accepted the beliefs of those people who totally believe in God, his powers, attributes and fate.
Please do not confuse others by saying you are okay with some people believing in God and you oppose others believing in the SAME God. It makes you anti-Christain, Anti-Jewish and Anti-Muslim. You could go to jail for that in some countries!

Hi,

I didn't contradict myself because African tribal Gods and Buddha are not the same as the God followed by Christians, Jews and Muslims. African tribes base their religions on folklore, and Buddhism is strongly associated with nature and the balance of the universe. They do not follow the doctrine of an over zealous God that calls for the blood of even his most devout followers.
Once again, they do not believe in the same God. Many African tribes have several Gods, even female Gods. Buddha is not the same as the Christian God.

If I were in a country where you go to jail for being anti Christian, anti Jew and anti Muslim, I would have already been in jail a long time before viewing my beliefs. I guess really what I am saying is, I don't give a flying fuck. The fact that I would get persecuted for my anti religious beliefs further proves my theory that religion is a crock of shit.

Analyst

HSC
I agree there are verses in ALL religious scriptures that tell Man to kill man under certain circumstances. Mostly, it is to stop people and deter them from wrongdoings.... for e.g killing another.
Again I bring the topic back to the debate "Does God Exist?". One can personally agree with any religion and not agree with others, but once you agree to a religion, you agree to the certain presence of God. either you do or you don't. The only other option is when you can lie to others by saying otherwise.

K

katie_tully

Agreeing with a religion, or the way it is conducted, is not the same as agreeing that there is a God.

Analyst

HSC
katie_tully said:
Hi,

I didn't contradict myself because African tribal Gods and Buddha are not the same as the God followed by Christians, Jews and Muslims. African tribes base their religions on folklore, and Buddhism is strongly associated with nature and the balance of the universe. They do not follow the doctrine of an over zealous God that calls for the blood of even his most devout followers.
Once again, they do not believe in the same God. Many African tribes have several Gods, even female Gods. Buddha is not the same as the Christian God.

If I were in a country where you go to jail for being anti Christian, anti Jew and anti Muslim, I would have already been in jail a long time before viewing my beliefs. I guess really what I am saying is, I don't give a flying fuck. The fact that I would get persecuted for my anti religious beliefs further proves my theory that religion is a crock of shit.

It certainly means you think some people have a right to believe in God but others don't.... :) Well I agree to the first part, everyone has a right to believe in God(if they do).

Also for accuracy, Buddhism is not only about "nature and the balance of the universe". Please do not quote some misinterpreted own version of Buddhism here, I grew up in Nepal around Buddhists and I know what their beliefs are about God and Buddha. It is one of the most spiritual religion in the world, although here in Australia, we might just want to follow our own (Kangaroo version) of Buddhism. Its not Buddha's fault then, its ours!!

Analyst

HSC
katie_tully said:
Agreeing with a religion, or the way it is conducted, is not the same as agreeing that there is a God.
Surely it is, babe. If u ask anyone about their religion, the first belief they are gonna say out loud is "God". If you agree to a religion, u have to agree to start with.

davin

HSC
N/A
in actual fact they were. Go down Moses, We are marching in the light of God, as i went down to the river to pray, the whole genre of gospel music is derived from the plight of the african slaves
that didn't give them hope, and it wasn't based on them being christian. many of the songs slaves sung were their only way to communicate. for example, "follow the drinking gourd" was instructions on how to escape to canada. when the slave owners were all christian, they were forced into christianity, but adapted what they could of their prior beliefs rather than lose it altogether. in effect, the religion became a hybrid, to an extent. this was more prominant in the carribbean though, i believe

K

katie_tully

I believe everybody has a right to believe in God. Not once did I say they didn't. I merely said that I have more respect for religions such as Buddhism, Pagans and African tribes that do not base their religions on doctrines that promote violence. I would prefer a world with these religions, rather than having the more common religions shoved down my throat.

Jews, Christians and Muslims believe in the same God, and have the highest rates of religious based violence in the world. And I am to believe that this has nothing to do with their religion, but is up to the individual taking the Bible the wrong way?

Believing that some religions are more credible than others is not admitting a belief in a God. I believe there is no such thing as a God, but if I were to tell that to a Dahomean or Buddhist, I wouldn't get beaten over the head with a plank of wood because of it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree there are verses in ALL religious scriptures that tell Man to kill man under certain circumstances. Mostly, it is to stop people and deter them from wrongdoings.... for e.g killing another.
Of course it's only under certain stances lol
Also, what you call 'wrong doings' are often ridiculous things (by our current standards).

K

katie_tully

Surely it is, babe. If u ask anyone about their religion, the first belief they are gonna say out loud is "God". If you agree to a religion, u have to agree to start with.
I don't see how this works. I'm not saying that their religion is credible, or that I would follow it. I am saying that their religions aren't based on hate and violence, and therefore I have more respect for their views than that of a Christian.

davin

HSC
N/A
Analyst said:
she said she didn't have a problem with them, not that they were felt were right though, i thought. it would sound like a live and let live philosophy to me. if i don't have to worry about a religious group trying to force their views on me, i'm going to have far less objections to taht organisation than one that expects me to adhere to their beliefs or convert.

Analyst

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Of course it's only under certain stances lol
Also, what you call 'wrong doings' are often ridiculous things (by our current standards).
well, I quote them when I say wrongdoings. So we can all believe killing someone, rape, lies, deception and treachery are just mischievious, ridiculous, or more serious.
But each group has a right to make laws and implement them by a vote of the majority, and hence I believe that if the majority has made laws and voted for them, the people in Afghanistan or Cuba have a right to be left alone to implement those laws. who are we to send our sons to die to get them to change those laws? Why do we indulge in such arrogance?

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Christ you talk some shit Maiden. If you arent going to contribute something worthwhile, fuck off and play with your doodle elsewhere.
Come with me.

At least I aint the one contradicting myself.

You can burn in hell and stay there.

K

katie_tully

But each group has a right to make laws and implement them by a vote of the majority, and hence I believe that if the majority has made laws and voted for them, the people in Afghanistan or Cuba have a right to be left alone to implement those laws. who are we to send our sons to die to get them to change those laws? Why do we indulge in such arrogance?
For once I agree with you. But the boundary is crossed when we suffer attacks from these radicalist nations, in the name of their God. We shouldn't send Australian's there to die, for a cause that had nothing to do with us to begin with. But when we are attacked for having more liberal ideals, how do we deal with them?

Analyst

HSC
davin said:
she said she didn't have a problem with them, not that they were felt were right though, i thought. it would sound like a live and let live philosophy to me. if i don't have to worry about a religious group trying to force their views on me, i'm going to have far less objections to taht organisation than one that expects me to adhere to their beliefs or convert.
Thats exactly what i am trying to say here. We all have a right to believe or not to believe in God. The topic was "Does God exist?" okay now, we can either say yes or no. okay? Now the next thing is... what the lady suggested was, if you have a personal problem with a certain evengelical type Christian, you sya to them "no, God is nothing!" but if you have someone else who does not propagate religion but does strongly believe in it, you say to them "Yep, there is God although I am not really interested in Him"..... See that is contradiction...

Now another thing, Its like a gamble you and I have a right to place money on whichever horse we want. But when we start discussing which horse is better, we have to accept that there are a few horses in the race and not just the one horse we have put money on. Plus, we will only know once the race ends.... you or I might win all/lose all..... :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't see a contradiction in what she said myself. She said... she doesn't mind buddhism etc, because she percieves them as not being as violent as christianity etc. She isn't agreeing with their views on the existance of God, she's just saying that she doesn't mind as much the way they practice their belief in comparison with other religions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)