Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Generator

HSC
N/A
Analyst said:
Surely it is, babe. If u ask anyone about their religion, the first belief they are gonna say out loud is "God". If you agree to a religion, u have to agree to start with.
:)
No, they aren't one and the same. A religion is an institutionalised framework of belief patterns and practices, and a god is an entity of some sort that requires faith. It's possible to be of a religion yet not have faith (see Small Gods by Terry Pratchett for a fictional yet ever so clever example), and it is more than possible to have faith yet not be of a particular religion or religious denomination. Though both faith and religion tend to go hand in hand, they aren't one and the same.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
sam04u said:
Sometimes, even the "sad" is necessary.
i would just like to take this opportunity to thank god, without whom we would live in a world without morals. without god we would be savages and not understand that ethnic cleansing is a good thing

Analyst

HSC
Generator said:
No, they aren't one and the same. A religion is an institutionalised framework of belief patterns and practices, and a god is an entity of some sort that requires faith. It's possible to be of a religion yet not have faith (see Small Gods by Terry Pratchett for a fictional yet ever so clever example), and it is more than possible to have faith yet not be of a particular religion or religious denomination. Though both faith and religion tend to go hand in hand, they aren't one and the same.
Please read the preceding discussion to understand the thing being discussed. Agreeing on the presence of God, or a religion with one religion but disagreeing to the same notion (presence of God) by another religion in a discussion titled "Does God exist?" is self-contradiction.

G

genavania

katie_tully

i find it so distracting when people think they have read genisis or leviticus and that means they understand the whole bible. yes the bible talks about circumscision your so called condoning of slavery but the new testament containing Jesus talks of a circumsicison of a different kind. not the skin off the boys doodle but all of the sin of our lives, as we cant do this Jesus died and rose again in an act of grace. please read and try to understand the whole bible before making judgements on the religion based upon a small segment of its bible.
its a bit like saying all muslims are terrorists.
also you say they believed jesus when he was there but i think you should take another look and you will find you are very wrong. many people did believe him and thought him a prophet but they didnt really understand and couldnt because they didnt know what he was going to do. and he was actually killed because they thought he was a liar. blasphemy. when they called him "king of the jews" they were mocking him not aknowledging him.

and as to hope which i talked about before oddy nocki and not that bright speoke about hope in yourself the here and the now. that there was no point to it all etc

well
if i had to put my hope in myself it would be a sorry sight. i am far from perfect. what about when we mess up? what does that mean. when we die we are truly all alone. we cant take our money or our things with us. to put hope in these things is rediculous and pointless.

as to hope being rediculous and pointless, well i disagree but i guess that is just me

Last edited by a moderator:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Analyst said:
Please read the preceding discussion to understand the thing being discussed. Agreeing on the presence of God, or a religion with one religion but disagreeing to the same notion (presence of God) by another religion in a discussion titled "Does God exist?" is self-contradiction.
I know what was being discussed, and, as I implied, I too think that your interpretation of katie's remarks was and continues to be incorrect.

Analyst

HSC
Generator said:
I know what was being discussed, and, as I implied, I too think that your interpretation of katie's remarks was and continues to be incorrect.
We can agree to disagree then :)

Analyst

HSC
withoutaface said:
That's loser talk.
Well, I say it when I decently tell someone its impossible for them to understand what I am saying..... If someone without a face jumps in, I tell them to go fetch their face first and then talk! No offence....just a joke. You can call me whatever, but I wont be what you call me until u know what u are talking about.... :p

davin

HSC
N/A
Analyst said:
We can agree to disagree then :)
no, because if you agree about that, then you're acknowledging some truth in what Generator said. Its a self-contradiction

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
genavania said:
well
if i had to put my hope in myself it would be a sorry sight. i am far from perfect. what about when we mess up?

Everyone knows they're not perfect. Mistakes are part of life, Babe Ruth struke as many time as he hit a home run. Just because you make mistakes does not, I repeat does not make you a failure. The only thing that makes you a failure is your attitude. How you responsed to any situtation will ultimatily determine whether you are a failure or whether you will win.

Now, if the only thing that will determine whether or not you will win is your outlook. There is no need to look for assistance from an outside of yourself. Through this process of thinking God become irreallivent. You don't need him because you able to deal with shit by using your headbone and your own self confidence.
genavania said:
when we die we are truly all alone. we cant take our money or our things with us. to put hope in these things is rediculous and pointless.

as to hope being rediculous and pointless, well i disagree but i guess that is just me
As for whether we are alone when we die. It doesn't really matter. It doesn't effect now. And because I can't change anything I don't really care. If there is a god and I show up and he tells me that I failed as a human and I should have worshiped him. I'm going to be amused. He doesn't define me, that's my decision. I am who I choose to be. This is the gift that is free thinking. If he want me to worship me then he should have stripped this privilage from my bones.

I know to you this may seem a little depressing because nothing is there. No safety net. No warmth, no sense of comfort knowing that someone is watching over you. So this sytem isn't for everyone, in fact very few will accept it due to these negatives. But this is where I have come to and I can't turn my back on it. But this logic is so liberatating. Nothing to stop from doing what you desire. Social pressures are released, nothing is more worthwhile then anything else. So you become free. And this freedom means I can fill what ever desire I have so my enjoyment of life will be as high as I want it to be.

Because at the end of the day when I am on my death bed. The only thing that will determine whether I have failured as a human is whether I think that I have lived the life I wanted to.

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Analyst said:
Well, I say it when I decently tell someone its impossible for them to understand what I am saying..... If someone without a face jumps in, I tell them to go fetch their face first and then talk! No offence....just a joke. You can call me whatever, but I wont be what you call me until u know what u are talking about.... :p
Another theist who is a 'misunderstood' genius. Join the club with sam.

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
The Qur'an was passed to Muhammad (PBUH) In about the 6th century...
Muhammad is the last prohphet of God.
However, prophets of god include;
Adam
Job
Jonah
Noah
Abraham
Ismael
Isaac
Jacob
Joseph
Hud
Elias
Elijah
Ezekail
Imran
Moses
Aaron
Lot
David
Solomon
Saleh
Zakaraia
John the Baptist
Jesus
Muhammad

(Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and the Prophet Muhammad)
Being the most significant.

[the Torah, the Psalms, the Evangel (gospels)] <---Important texts.

Islam also mentions Hinduism and Buddhism.
(In the final days;..)
And thus it does not mean that it is the ammended version of hindiusm and buddhism it only metions Hinudism and Buddhism. Maybe it is the ammended versions of the bible etc which you speak?

Analyst

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Another theist who is a 'misunderstood' genius. Join the club with sam.
Try growing up first and then talk. Think about it kiddo...

Analyst

HSC
garbagedump said:
And thus it does not mean that it is the ammended version of hindiusm and buddhism it only metions Hinudism and Buddhism. Maybe it is the ammended versions of the bible etc which you speak?
Just adding a bit...

Being the amended version does not mean it cancels out the religious scriptures of the past. Every Muslim HAS TO believe in the scriptures before as well. Thats where Islam agrees with other prophetic religions. Actually, although there is no mention of Buddha in The Qura'an, buddhism is a very spiritual religion and very close to Islam in many aspects.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What are you talking about you arrogant little piece of shit? You come into this thread, and just go 'lolz u guys are too stoopid to understand me, i am teh smart' while ignoring some pretty clever counter-arguments. You need to stop calling everyone else stupid and actually try to improve your own faults - because reality is not a subjective thing, and it will catch up to you.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Analyst said:
Just adding a bit...

Being the amended version does not mean it cancels out the religious scriptures of the past. Every Muslim HAS TO believe in the scriptures before as well. Thats where Islam agrees with other prophetic religions. Actually, although there is no mention of Buddha in The Qura'an, buddhism is a very spiritual religion and very close to Islam in many aspects.
so how come muslims reject christ being the son of god and being ressurected.

i know the answer: because if muhammad left that as christians believe, then he wouldnt look as powerful, and as the last prophet. Its common sence. But i would like to hear your answer.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Being the amended version does not mean it cancels out the religious scriptures of the past.
Err actually it does, everywhere where there is a conflict of interest between the koran/hadiths and the bible, you will side on the side of the koran/hadiths - right?

Actually, although there is no mention of Buddha in The Qura'an, buddhism is a very spiritual religion and very close to Islam in many aspects.
How come everyone sucks up to buddhism? Is it because heaps of cool celebrities come out as buddhists? What is it? What's so awesome about it? Because they meditate and shit? It's the same as prayer :/

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
Not-that-bright, meditation is different from prayers...that's why they are two totally different things.

Anyways,
"What are you talking about you arrogant little piece of shit? You come into this"
actually he has provided some logical arguments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)