Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
The egg came first.
Dinosaur eggs.
+ Chickens evolved from other birds and they already laid eggs.
+ The evolution would occur in the early stages of fertilisation or meiosis of gametes which is before the chicken is born.

A principal teaching of Catholicism is "Natural law" which is the belief that every human has within him/her the tools to perceive what is right and wrong. So, technically you can be a Catholic and believe whatever you want as long as you believe in the principal teachings and all that jazz.
Authoritative figures have tried to change this recently, but it's not the backbone of Catholicism. Although, the word of the Pope is supposedly the word of God it is up to the individual to perceive what is right and wrong from what they learn. This isn't Islam jurisprudence, where the individual is last in the list of ways to deal with ethics.
yeah yeah im sure theres many ways to incorporate contradictory beliefs and still say ur a catholic

and an organism is formed before its reproductive cycle is - it evolved from whatever bacteria/microorganisms that were caused by the big bang

so when i said "the chicken did" i really meant whatever organism would then reproduced eggs/chickens came first

so its impossible for reproduction to come before the creature that reproduces
when the big bang occurred
it didnt leave tiny eggs lying all over the place

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
So how do you interpret the Genesis story? As a Christian, are you able to pick and choose what to and what to not take literally?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah yeah im sure theres many ways to incorporate contradictory beliefs and still say ur a catholic
and an organism is formed before its reproductive cycle is - it evolved from whatever bacteria/microorganisms that were caused by the big bang
so when i said "the chicken did" i really meant whatever organism would then reproduced eggs/chickens came first
so its impossible for reproduction to come before the creature that reproduces
when the big bang occurred
it didnt leave tiny eggs lying all over the place
They aren't contradictory! You don't have to believe everything, you only have to believe the principal teachings, just like any fucking religion. Omg, I thought you were good at religious stuff.
Yeah, but the egg the first chicken was born in was around before the chicken. (I honestly hope you don't do biology)
Evolution didn't start with the big bang. It started with chemical evolution on Earth due to first impact.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
catholics have interpreted the bible literally
No they haven't. Most believe the Old Testament and some of the New is metaphorical.
I go to a Catholic school and learned Catholic Studies from 7-10 and I still had all this Catholic stuff going on til I left.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
No they haven't. Most believe the Old Testament and some of the New is metaphorical.
I go to a Catholic school and learned Catholic Studies from 7-10 and I still had all this Catholic stuff going on til I left.
this.

in my experience with most religious people that i don't want to punch in the face (hardcore bible-bashers) they use the bible as a rough guide on how to live and show compassion in the world around them
they don't take it literally, but draw inspiration from the message of the scriptures

- biggest pet hate is evangelists who take revelations as a prophecy of some sort and don't recognise that the revelations were actually written in during a time when jewish-christians were under persecution and were written for those people at that time

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
this.

in my experience with most religious people that i don't want to punch in the face (hardcore bible-bashers) they use the bible as a rough guide on how to live and show compassion in the world around them
they don't take it literally, but draw inspiration from the message of the scriptures

- biggest pet hate is evangelists who take revelations as a prophecy of some sort and don't recognise that the revelations were actually written in during a time when jewish-christians were under persecution and were written for those people at that time
Agreed. Although, there's a myriad of better fictional works that would suit this purpose, works that don't advocate slavery and genocide and don't require submission to a sadomasochistic, capricious overlord. But hey, Christians don't have to take this sort of thing literally. Handy isn't it!

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Look ur a good kid
But very annoying

I get that a lot of the ADHERENTS do not take it literally but the principles of the catholic faith do.. That's what the Vatican has interpreted and that's what Catholicism is built on

And if u don't, ur not a fundamental catholic (like 98% of other catholic adherents)
I also go to a catholic school

To one of ur other posts.. I'm Christian, not any other denomination.. U said well how can u not be a denomination u don't know about the others (or whatever)

I don't feel the need to define or restrict my belief to a denomination
I believe in god
I believe in the messiah, Jesus Christ
I believe in the importance of love

But the rest is my own

E.g do not believe in hell nor a distinction between a 'good' place for good people or a 'bad' place for bad

Also, I don't believe praying will grant u divine intervention as there will never be any... But rather the power of self-belief that u think something good will happen

So prayer is powerful but not for the same reason that Catholics, orthodox etc think it is

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Look ur a good kid
But very annoying
I get that a lot of the ADHERENTS do not take it literally but the principles of the catholic faith do.. That's what the Vatican has interpreted and that's what Catholicism is built on
And if u don't, ur not a fundamental catholic (like 98% of other catholic adherents)
I also go to a catholic school
To one of ur other posts.. I'm Christian, not any other denomination.. U said well how can u not be a denomination u don't know about the others (or whatever)
I don't feel the need to define or restrict my belief to a denomination
I believe in god
I believe in the messiah, Jesus Christ
But the rest is my own
E.g do not believe in hell nor a distinction between a 'good' place for good people or a 'bad' place for bad
Also, I don't believe praying will grant u divine intervention as there will never be any... But rather the power of self-belief that u think something good will happen
So prayer is powerful but not for the same reason that Catholics, orthodox etc think it is
That's more Buddhist puja than Christian prayer.
Also:

demikid

HSC
Uni Grad
I think religious people don't really have a solid backbone for their arguments because they conflict with themselves. What i mean is, say, Christianity and Islam, they both claim there is a single God but they all describe God differently, whether it is what He did or His ideologies. I reckon there is no need for an argument between Atheist and Religious people because the latter don't agree on the same thing themselves. In physics we call this destructive interference. :)

nephh22

HSC
OF COURSE GOD EXISTS! how do u think we were made??? Think about it, our bodies are so specific - our arteries, veins, organs, emotions and body structure, as well as our INTELLECT! We couldn't have just existed like this from the start... something or someone had to have created us! Anybody concur?

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
OF COURSE GOD EXISTS! how do u think we were made??? Think about it, our bodies are so specific - our arteries, veins, organs, emotions and body structure, as well as our INTELLECT! We couldn't have just existed like this from the start... something or someone had to have created us! Anybody concur?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
We have organs that are unnecessary. If this is your only argument, it is a poor one.
Also, dolphins are the second smartest creatures on this planet and they're confined to the ocean. Great logic br8.

cheese_cheese

HSC
I agree. There is no way life formed on Earth and the human brain formed through pure chance. Evolution and adaptability to different environments is possible and could result in some physical changes over time, although could not create our entire biological system and the human brain which is so complicated scientists know barely anything about.

cssftw

HSC
Is it just me or does anyone get mindfucked by the complexity of life? Just think about how small we are in this universe. Think about what you see, and every single little atom inside, remember an atom can be likened to the Telstra stadium, where a tennis ball in the middle of the stadium is proton, and electrons are specks of dust floating around the outer border. I think studying Biology has increased my belief in God by 10000 fold, I had no idea the human body was so damn complex... btw I do believe in evolution (excluding the theory that humans also underwent the evolutionary pathway), just saying that "nature" causes evolution is stupid -- what exactly is nature? Why do people continue to personify nature? Why is it so hard to say God did it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)