Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Belalan

HSC
@cssftw
Because if there is a god, it took him/her/it a good 13.75 ± 0.15 billion years to get it right (If you consider humans to be "right", we dont even have wings!); must be a new definition of omnipotency that I haven't heard yet.

HSC
Uni Grad
@cssftw
Because if there is a god, it took him/her/it a good 13.75 ± 0.15 billion years to get it right (If you consider humans to be "right", we dont even have wings!); must be a new definition of omnipotency that I haven't heard yet.
So true. Even a cruel, malevolent and vengeful prick of a god wouldn't be so evil as to deny us wings.

Garygaz

HSC
Is it just me or does anyone get mindfucked by the complexity of life? Just think about how small we are in this universe. Think about what you see, and every single little atom inside, remember an atom can be likened to the Telstra stadium, where a tennis ball in the middle of the stadium is proton, and electrons are specks of dust floating around the outer border. I think studying Biology has increased my belief in God by 10000 fold, I had no idea the human body was so damn complex... btw I do believe in evolution (excluding the theory that humans also underwent the evolutionary pathway), just saying that "nature" causes evolution is stupid -- what exactly is nature? Why do people continue to personify nature? Why is it so hard to say God did it?
because you are making a leap of faith without the wisdom of knowledge.

if some of the modern day medical advances of today were shown to people thousands of years ago, i'm sure they'd hail you as a god, too.

qawe

HSC
N/A
I think religious people don't really have a solid backbone for their arguments because they conflict with themselves. What i mean is, say, Christianity and Islam, they both claim there is a single God but they all describe God differently, whether it is what He did or His ideologies. I reckon there is no need for an argument between Atheist and Religious people because the latter don't agree on the same thing themselves. In physics we call this destructive interference. :)
that's true. u actually need sub arguments between different religions and atheism.
i hope the above wasn't actually an attempt to argue for atheism!

qawe

HSC
N/A
I think religious people don't really have a solid backbone for their arguments because they conflict with themselves. What i mean is, say, Christianity and Islam, they both claim there is a single God but they all describe God differently, whether it is what He did or His ideologies. I reckon there is no need for an argument between Atheist and Religious people because the latter don't agree on the same thing themselves. In physics we call this destructive interference. :)
that's true. u actually need sub arguments between different religions and atheism.
i hope the above wasn't actually an attempt to argue for atheism!

qawe

HSC
N/A
I agree. There is no way life formed on Earth and the human brain formed through pure chance. Evolution and adaptability to different environments is possible and could result in some physical changes over time, although could not create our entire biological system and the human brain which is so complicated scientists know barely anything about.

+1

qawe

HSC
N/A
THe fact that there are 1056 pages says something in itself:
humans long and search for a god.

the only differences is that atheists make themselves god (this is not intended to be insulting, you believe you are master of your own life, no annoying religion to tell what to do or not do)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
THe fact that there are 1056 pages says something in itself:
humans long and search for a god.

the only differences is that atheists make themselves god (this is not intended to be insulting, you believe you are master of your own life, no annoying religion to tell what to do or not do)
Not believing in God, and promoting humans to godlike stature are completely different issues.

IamBread

HSC
There is no reason to think that a god exists. If you hadn't been brought up in a religion, then you probably won't believe in one. There is no evidence for a God or supernatural being, so why should you believe in one? Most people don't believe in unicorns, fairies, and the giant spaghetti monster in the sky. Why? Because there is no reason to believe in one, no evidence for it. There are 1000's of religions, how can you be certain that one is truer then the other? They can't all be true. All have the same credibility as each other.
As science pushes onward in its understanding of the universe, the room for God shrinks. At the time the bible was written, the known universe was the middle east, Europe and africa, as well as the heavens. It seemed fitting then, that a god would create it all for man, as it wasn't all that large.
Now look at it. We have the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, showing 1000's of galaxies, billions of lightyears away. Each consisting of 100's of billions of stars. And this was only one tiny dark spot in the night sky. The size of the known universe is now ~96billion Ly's in diameter. It doesn't seem fitting that a God would create all this for us, It doesn't make sense.

Maybe, a few thousand years ago, a God was comforting. It gave you a purpose. It could 'explain' the explainable of the time. Now, science is uncovering the secrets, it has answers to the things that were once 'explained' by religion.

qawe

HSC
N/A
There is no reason to think that a god exists. If you hadn't been brought up in a religion, then you probably won't believe in one. There is no evidence for a God or supernatural being, so why should you believe in one? Most people don't believe in unicorns, fairies, and the giant spaghetti monster in the sky. Why? Because there is no reason to believe in one, no evidence for it. There are 1000's of religions, how can you be certain that one is truer then the other? They can't all be true. All have the same credibility as each other.
As science pushes onward in its understanding of the universe, the room for God shrinks. At the time the bible was written, the known universe was the middle east, Europe and africa, as well as the heavens. It seemed fitting then, that a god would create it all for man, as it wasn't all that large.
Now look at it. We have the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, showing 1000's of galaxies, billions of lightyears away. Each consisting of 100's of billions of stars. And this was only one tiny dark spot in the night sky. The size of the known universe is now ~96billion Ly's in diameter. It doesn't seem fitting that a God would create all this for us, It doesn't make sense.

Maybe, a few thousand years ago, a God was comforting. It gave you a purpose. It could 'explain' the explainable of the time. Now, science is uncovering the secrets, it has answers to the things that were once 'explained' by religion.
No. Hinduism states the world is flat and held up by 4 elephants. We know the name of at least one of the elephants (i can't recall ioff the top of my head). this is clearly false.

but science will never be able to explain 1 thing. science.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
religion will never be able to explain anything, full stop

except perhaps why good people will do bad things...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Look....

When religion first popped up, it was a means to explain the 'unexplainable' such as diseases, 'miracles', weather etc. In the modern world, these 'unexplainable' things are very much explainable through Science, which is supported by factual evidence and follows a logical set of axioms.

Now, the biggest argument used by religion is 'Who created the world?', because Science is yet to explain that.

Basically, religion tries to fill in the gaps that science cannot and claims 'You can't explain it? Thus, it was God'.

I cannot wait till the day we discover the origins of the Universe. What arguments can religion pull afterwards?

It's becoming obsolete, and they know it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)