• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

HotShot

-_-
HSC
cheesman said:
just for the record this thread is about the existence of a God, not what religion one should choose
so maybe try not to stray off topic cause it'll just cause further dispute
not cheesy enugh for me hah?

lengy

HSC
Creating a separate discussion on 'religion' wouldn't work as the debate inevitably returns to the discussion of 'God' which is why 'God' and 'religion' is discussed in this thread and not others.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but anyway;

using science to prove the existence of god is ridiculous. It's outside of the realm of experimentation, and its dangerous - any hypotheses will nearly always be tainted by preexisting notions. God is an abstract concept.. it exists.. in peoples minds. Hence, Religion relies on widespread delusion - rudimentary peer pressure. If enough people believe it, it's true.

To those who are arguing that the evidence is already there in the holy books, well, I think you're funny.

To those who are arguing that pre-existing laws of science are offering a kind of quasi-proof of the existence of a god, well, you should write a book or something.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
JaredR said:
What a stupid question! Of course he exists!

The End. (lol)
After 75 pages of arguing, why of course!

Now prove it to me so that I may believe?

cheesman

HSC
think about wat u just said
i could give you books and boooks of evidence, but you could still not believe
besides if i could somehow 'prove' it to you
u wouldnt believe, you would know
also u could be ignorant, i could present you with suficient evidence , but you might be arrogant and ask for more

just think about wat it means to believe
if you want to belive you dont ask for proof, just believe

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Same with Santa Claus.

Or I could say the same with Buddha, or Allah or whatever other religion.

As many non-religious people have stated, they want to believe in all the good stuff like heaven etc, but we still ask for proof because we work in a world of logic. Not vague presumptions. If I said I believed in Santa Claus, you would laugh at me, but I would merely be giving you the *same* evidence and the *same* attitude.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
"evidence" that God exists all seem to be vague.

ie

- Miracles.. which normally ignore facts (ie wow her cancer is cured after much prayer - it couldn't have been chemotherapy
- Texts that claim to be the word of God that happen to correspond with History and because they feel that the history is correct then the text must be the word of God
- Weird illogical processes eg: The existence of the world = the existence of God.

So if you have something new to offer, trust me, with all my heart I want to know.

And I'm going to say it again, there are religious people who are willing to admit that there is no evidence to prove God's existence.
I don't know why we keep hitting this brick wall here, as if admitting it will mean that He exists a little less to someone as religious as you

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
"evidence" that God exists all seem to be vague.

ie

- Miracles.. which normally ignore facts (ie wow her cancer is cured after much prayer - it couldn't have been chemotherapy
- Texts that claim to be the word of God that happen to correspond with History and because they feel that the history is correct then the text must be the word of God
- Weird illogical processes eg: The existence of the world = the existence of God.

So if you have something new to offer, trust me, with all my heart I want to know.

And I'm going to say it again, there are religious people who are willing to admit that there is no evidence to prove God's existence.
I don't know why we keep hitting this brick wall here, as if admitting it will mean that He exists a little less to someone as religious as you
There is evidence but i think people like u cannot come to accept it. There have been miracles inthe past which science could not explain. but whether god exists or not i think is really irrelevnat to life.

lengy

HSC
Miracles? Or distorted perceptions of an influenced mind? Imagery and illusions, ghosts and goblins, nothing more than the mind desperately attempting to justify and rationalise something they cannot understand through reasoning with the supernatural.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
lengy said:
Miracles? Or distorted perceptions of an influenced mind? Imagery and illusions, ghosts and goblins, nothing more than the mind desperately attempting to justify and rationalise something they cannot understand through reasoning with the supernatural.
funny science couldnt solve it.....
the mind is powerful;

Generator

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
the mind is powerful;
So because we cannot understand what may have happened there must be a god of some sort?

lengy

HSC
Humans have a tendency to try and attribute blame to anything but themselves, mainly in the case of those who don't wish to thoroughly investigate the true nature of why the event occurred. Instead of understanding there is ignorance, instead of science there is the supernatural.

Science is a human construct, it is bound by the failings of humanity. Humanity can only advance so far, it is not immortal, it is not all seeing, all doing. Even when humanity is forcably evolved artificially or humanity creates another being superior to humanity that being is still bound by Physics. Unless we are able to become or create a being able to transcend Physics as we know today scientific advancement will only go so far.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What a stupid question! Of course he exists!

The End. (lol)
Hey, good call bro. Of course Zeus exists.

think about wat u just said
i could give you books and boooks of evidence, but you could still not believe
Well If you can provide for me 1 piece of evidence out of those books and books which you think I could not provide proper rebuttle to, then I might be more inclined to conceed that point. There are 'books and books' of evidence in favor of multitudes of Gods/Dieties/Spirits/Abominal Snowmen - The reason many these are rejected by the critical mind is often because they are not STRONG evidence.

besides if i could somehow 'prove' it to you
u wouldnt believe, you would know
Can you explain to me exactly why an Atheist would not want to believe that their loved ones 'spirits' continue to exist after death etc? I would believe. I have no reason not to believe in God (Good version).

also u could be ignorant, i could present you with suficient evidence , but you might be arrogant and ask for more
Sufficient evidence for the existance of a supernatural entity? I put it to you that you are arrogant for even imagining that such evidence could come into your posession.

just think about wat it means to believe
if you want to belive you dont ask for proof, just believe
Why believe on other the other then? Because we prefer it? I prefer to imagine that I am a millionaire, unfortunately reality and proof is against me, so that fantasy is out the window. I put it to you that it is impossible to believe in something just because you want to and that all theists do have logical reasons for their belief (however some may be bad logic).

If we are to accept what you say, then the answer to the question 'why do you believe' is just 'because I believe' - it begs the question.

There is evidence but i think people like u cannot come to accept it.
I put it to you that we can accept the evidence and it's just that the evidence people such as yourself often present is simply terrible. Your ability to assess evidence is obviously sub-par - You presented to me an article about a yogi, whom was observed in a tent 'levitating' and offered that as proof that people can levitate.... In the very article it even explained how he had a draped pulled over him before he began to levitate and afterwards --' It sounds EXACTLY like a magicians trick, yet you choose to accept it as fact.

There have been miracles inthe past which science could not explain.
Name one.

but whether god exists or not i think is really irrelevnat to life.
Er how so? If it's an interventionist god then it's the centrepiece of our entire existance.

the mind is powerful;
Science never conclusively proves things. Anyway, it's up to the people such as yourself making these claims to prove them, it's impossible for us to disprove that no one in the world can levitate, but I can assure you if someone can and they make themselves known to the scientific community - the scientific community WILL validate them (not just fringe 'parapsychologists').

katyn

HSC
Would anyone think that there's even the smallest of probablities that an all powerful entity could be created?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
katyn said:
Would anyone think that there's even the smallest of probablities that an all powerful entity could be created?
created or exist? There might be, but from what is anaylsed, there isnt.

As with whether intelligent life outside Earth exists: I'm all for being proved wrong if properly done so, intelligent aliens could exist, but for now, no.

Laughing at my example? Look up Scientology...

cheesman

HSC
just a random statement, the very existence of one thing is enough to suggest a creator

since any one thing exisiting is enoguh to suggest a creator, is there any one thing that can suggest it wasnt created?

as i am not talking about methods of creation but the existence of God. Evolution etc.. shouldnt come into the picture
by the way, half the time i just type my thoughts, even when they mightnt be fully thought out so just bear with me i spose

lengy

HSC
That entity doesn't neccessarily have to be all powerful, and neither does this entity neccesarily have to be 'God'. This possibility however begs the questions of who created this entity and how much more powerful was that entity to the one that created us. Generally the religious have a majority sharehold in the belief that some deity created the universe.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Who created the god in question, cheeseman? Who created the creater of the supposed creater? So on and all that stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)