Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
gibbo153 said:
why would people invent something that required them that essentially required them to (before jesus) sacrifice their animals all the time, and for them to do good things.
We have some naturally masochistic desires.

mirag

HSC
SashatheMan said:
i have a Question i wanted to ask.

Why Does God Want Us To Worship Him?

ok so you believe that he exists, and that he created us in someway or another. But why would he "test" our faith or make us go to church and prey.
god made us for a reason and he wants us to love him like he loved every one of us and we show him that we love hime through praying and going to church, and besides praying is communicating with God so we pray to talk to him

HSC
N/A
Some people might believe in God or a greater force etc... but what i don't get is how someone can devote their whole life to bullshit that has never been proved, waste their whole life on a book that is an interesting read but resembles a fable by the brothers grimm and willingly allow people to run their lives for it is in the name of the Lord, Allah and all that other crap.

Ultimately we can come to the conclusion that those who are extremely religious, devote their lives to it and practice most of its beliefs are mentally insane sheep or simply have psychological problems.

hsb39

HSC
gibbo153 said:
why would people invent something that required them that essentially required them to (before jesus) sacrifice their animals all the time, and for them to do good things.

people don't want to live good lives.
why would they make it up.
To what summarise moll said (does that count as trolling?), its because of politics. Notice that the most homophobic places in ancient times are those that do have to worry about population.

X

xeuyrawp

mirag said:
god made us for a reason
Are you suggesting, against any line of argument, that a god created humans specifically so we would worship him? Why not just create humans who do so, why create a line of evolution whereby only a certain level of evolution would do so, etc etc?

I'm sure your answer is simply "we are not supposed to / cannot know why he created us", so good work there. To be honest, why god does a lot stuff in the Bible is beyond me, so you're not the only one who's confused.:)

and he wants us to love him he loved every one of us
Actually, if you read the Bible, you'd see that god really only starts to love everyone in the New Testament. In the Old Testament, he seems to enjoy killing many people for random, fickle, and very human reasons.

and we show him
Because he doesn't know?

praying is communicating with God so we pray to talk to him
So, let me get this straight:

You're praying to a god who one moment hates innocent people and kills them for human reasons (and the next moment loves them all), who made us for a reason (which may or may not be known) and that reason may be to pray to him (although one cannot be sure), which we must do to show him we love him (for capriciously killing us one moment and then loving us the next (although I have yet to witness any fruits of his love)), because he simply must be told (despite being all-knowing) that we do in fact love him (despite him being unpredictable and murderous)?

Last edited by a moderator:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I'd just like to point out that in the few months in which i have been on BoS and engaged in these religious debates, i have learnt a lot. I've learnt the many reasons for theism and all of their counter-arguments, as well as expanding my knowledge of science (especially biology) tenfold.
However, i'd like to now offer a bit of advice in return:
To all my fellow atheists, please do not bother questioning God and how such a being could possibly fit into the universal reality of which we are aware. Instead, i would ask that you focus your attention upon his divinely mandated fanclub, and direct all questions and queries towards religion and religious traditions.
This is because i have found that questioning God himself gets us virtually nowhere, as the arguments soon deteriorate into "I believe in him, therefore he is true" vs. "Belief is a fallacy and yours is misguided." Theists will simply close down and leave the thread, leaving us to argue with each other.
Instead, arguing against religion and religious traditions often lead to the theists to admit at least a partial belief in the problems behind various forms of religious institutions. It is thus far more worthwhile.

X

xeuyrawp

moll. said:
However, i'd like to now offer a bit of advice in return
Yeah, I think that was said in like the first few posts.

Keep up the good work, though. :):fish:

HSC
Moll, the only problem with that is needing to clarify for each individual religion. If you can argue against god, you effectively argue against all religions. Regardless, I understand your sentiments...

For some humour: a set of religious playing cards.

milolamb

HSC
Everyone point is talked about through their own head.
Athiests can prove that evolution came by showing us facts that we came from a moneky (primeape) by showing us similarities. Correct?
At the moment we use books to provide us evidential facts for the evolution of man.
These are newely appointed books, but the bible is a continuation of what "Gods" people have been through and have shown through a scribe.
Athiests have also shown proof of dinosaurs and such. Im not one to disbelieve this either. Although, if we dug up a body that could have been "Jesus Christs" would we know that for sure? If even we dated it back to the juxtaposition of AD and BC there were many people that could have been killed.

All im saying is that specific views can lead to misinterpretation.

Athiests proof of Evolution - Big Bang, Bones, Texts.
Christians (or other) proof of God - Bible, faith.

To an athiest faith is nothing, yet you have faith in something your working on, you just seem not to notice it.

Edit:
I didn't really read much because I don't wana go through 500+ pages. Im just stating a view aswell ^^

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
milolamb said:
Athiests can prove that evolution came by showing us facts that we came from a moneky (primeape) by showing us similarities. Correct?
At the moment we use books to provide us evidential facts for the evolution of man.
These are newely appointed books, but the bible is a continuation of what "Gods" people have been through and have shown through a scribe.
Athiests have also shown proof of dinosaurs and such. Im not one to disbelieve this either. Although, if we dug up a body that could have been "Jesus Christs" would we know that for sure? If even we dated it back to the juxtaposition of AD and BC there were many people that could have been killed.

To an athiest faith is nothing, yet you have faith in something your working on, you just seem not to notice it.

Edit:
I didn't really read much because I don't wana go through 500+ pages. Im just stating a view aswell ^^
Not from a monkey.
Read some books.

milolamb

HSC
I know that, hence why I said
"yet you have faith in something your working on"
and also "you just seem not to notice it"
is me being sterotypical.
Sorry bout that.

HalcyonSky

HSC
milolamb said:

Edit:
no ur a prime ape

are there any remotely intelligent christians left in this thread?

HSC
milolamb said:
I know that, hence why I said
"yet you have faith in something your working on"
and also "you just seem not to notice it"
is me being sterotypical.
Sorry bout that.
I understand what you're trying to say, but you're using the word faith incorrectly. It essentially means "belief not based on proof". This is what theists have. Non-theists may believe things like evolution, but it's not mere faith, because there is considerable proof.

HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
That doesn't mean they aren't connected. Your point?
when i say that i believe that they are two completely different things, i also mean that they are not connected. my point was that it was implied.

HSC
Josip Broz Tito said:
when i say that i believe that they are two completely different things, i also mean that they are not connected. my point was that it was implied.
Basically I was just interested in hearing you elaborate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)