Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
alright, why dont we live under the jewish law? its in the bible. its gods word...

jesus came to fix the mistakes of god...who is "perfect?"
Jesus Christ came to fix the mistakes of man, not of the Father.
Mankind had strayed from the path of God and given themselves over to temptation. The Son came to rectify our mistake and to turn us back towards the Light.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
how is it? hear me out. basically love is NOT jealous, yet god is jealous, then God can`t be love. But if god IS love he cannot be jealous. Be he is. Yahweh cannot possibly exist if he has both the attributes of love and jealousy.
HEY CISCO, I LIKE HOW YOU IGNORE MY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS AND INSTEAD ONLY RESPOND TO THE ONE-LINER WITH PLENTY OF HOLES IN IT.

Nice going there kiddo. Really proving you're superior and intellectual now, ain't ya?
http://community.boredofstudies.org/4165488/post-13563.html

mudgeemudgee

HSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco-Kid
ON GOD`S JEALOUSY

1.) "God is love." 1 John 4:8.

2.) "Love is not jealous." 1 Cor 13:4

3.) "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God." Exodus 20:5.

4.) The Christian god cannot logically exist.

This is taking three very different verses out of context. The first verse describes the love of God reflected through the sacrifice of His son for the atonement of our sins. That this act is the very esscence of love. The second describes the love that we should show to those around us as a reflection of God's love. Besidees it simply refers to coveting of another person's possessions. And the third illustrates that God deserves our love for it was him who created and loves us and no other.

Try applying ur argument to a husband and wife. If a husband has an affair with another woman does the wife shouldnt the wife be jealous? Well of course she gave her husband her love but instead of him reciprocating he chose to give it to another. This kind of jealousy if far different to the envy of anothers belongings.

HSC
N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco-Kid
ON GOD`S JEALOUSY

1.) "God is love." 1 John 4:8.

2.) "Love is not jealous." 1 Cor 13:4

3.) "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God." Exodus 20:5.

4.) The Christian god cannot logically exist.

This is taking three very different verses out of context. The first verse describes the love of God reflected through the sacrifice of His son for the atonement of our sins. That this act is the very esscence of love. The second describes the love that we should show to those around us as a reflection of God's love. Besidees it simply refers to coveting of another person's possessions. And the third illustrates that God deserves our love for it was him who created and loves us and no other.

Try applying ur argument to a husband and wife. If a husband has an affair with another woman does the wife shouldnt the wife be jealous? Well of course she gave her husband her love but instead of him reciprocating he chose to give it to another. This kind of jealousy if far different to the envy of anothers belongings.
lol havnt i heard that before.

tycho

HSC
No.
There are only two options, both of which are mutually exclusive. He either creates the fruit, or doesn't create it. There is no third option.
I was talking more along the lines of he could have not created the fruit and still given us free will. Otherwise, he's not omnipotent.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's really dumb to treat the stories in genesis as though they're anything more than an allegory.

Would we really have free will if we didn't have knowledge of good and evil?

mudgeemudgee

HSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicherhetsdient
lol havnt i heard that before.

What do u mean by this that the phrase is cliche or that its just been used to rebut anti-christian claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graney
It's really dumb to treat the stories in genesis as though they're anything more than an allegory

I'm not so sure I think that genesis is much more than simple allegories, apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ its almost the basis of the Chrisitian faith. The creation of the world by God and then the rebellion against God by Adam and Eve.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
No, but the tree, the fruit, the snake, the garden of eden, adam and eve etc...

None of that actually existed.

Most of the old testament is generally treated as irrelevant by a lot of christians, let alone genesis.

mudgeemudgee

HSC
No, but the tree, the fruit, the snake, the garden of eden, adam and eve etc...

None of that actually existed.

Most of the old testament is generally treated as irrelevant by a lot of christians, let alone genesis.
sorry which christians were we talking about?

....i'm confused if ur not a christian u have a very wierd perception of christianity and if u are a christian then re-reading the old testament may be a wise idea.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Are you suggesting the events in genesis are a historical record?

Also, Jesus teachings apparently overruled a lot of the doctrines in the old testament, or at least that's what Christians say to justify the contradictions across the various books.

God's hell cruel, and then Jesus came along and was like 'lol love thy neighbour'.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I was talking more along the lines of he could have not created the fruit and still given us free will. Otherwise, he's not omnipotent.
The fruit is only a metaphor. It is meant to represent God's allowance for mankind to choose their own paths in life, including the choice of whether to disobey Him or not. Without the "fruit" there is no free-will.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes Moll, YES!
The tree of knowledge of good and evil. It represents our desire to worship ourselves before God - to be subjective, not objective

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
It is temptation and sin personified upon an object, wherein that object is simultaneously the source of our freedom from mental and emotional enslavement, but also the source of our pain in life through the suffering that only His loving embrace can relieve.
He is the Father who watches his wayward son struggle in the world, comforted by the knowledge that when life becomes dire and the suffering mounts, the son can always return to his Father's abode.

HSC
N/A
for fucks sake. As a skeptic I will like to ask if God is so keen to have his Godliness recognized and is so offended by the thought of sharing his glory with any one then why does he not reveal himself more explicitly. What is the point in sending his message in the form of riddles and then punish those who can’t solve the riddles to his satisfaction.

Would it not be better for God and for all his flock if God showed himself in a sort of annual appearance or in the form of some pre-announced miracles so no one would have any doubts and then heavily penalize anyone who still bothers to deny him.

Seriously, this god question is pissing me off.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
seek and you will find. Without faith, the devotion is meaningless

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Faith is important, something something something.

What I don't get is, why god would explicitly reveal himself to some humans, living in some areas, at some times, but the rest of us are expected to have faith and to rely on secondhand accounts?

He's not very consistent in his policy of revealing himself explicitly or otherwise.

Why were the disciples extended the courtesy of being shown explicit, undeniable miracles, but we aren't?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)