• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think that's right

psychologists have really pulled the rug out from under us
we used to do it for free too! :(

come with us
talk a piece

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I think that's right

psychologists have really pulled the rug out from under us
we used to do it for free too! :(

come with us
talk a piece
That's really true actually. If there were no such thing as psychologists and I needed to vent or needed emotional guidance, then even I'd probably be taking part in Confessions, although I wouldn't necessarily be theistic.
Also, the verse says to pray for each other too, and I'm pretty sure most psychologists don't do that for their patients.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, there's a great emotional need to confess things. I see it all the time in my law firm. When clients start blubblubblubbing and talking about irrelevant personal circumstances, all you can do is warmly say "stfu and stick to the issues, granny", "If you persist, I will punch you in the tits" etc. It's a pity that society has gone this way and that people can be desporate enough to emotionally unload on a paralegal or any professional
One of the primary functions of the Church is to let people know that they are no alone. Anybody can rock up to a confessional box

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
anyway, I also disagree that the catholic priests are to be celibate, i think they should be allowed to marry, like they are in many protestant churches, please when you say the church say which church you mean, many of us do not identify with the catholic church

also all christians are convert's growing up in a christian home does not make you a christian
a relationship with God.

And yes dirty rotten sinner's can go to heaven, through God's grace, believe in him and live your life for him and repent, then Jesus takes the punishment for our sin.
A current Christian who grew up in a Christian household is not a convert. They were born into the religion, they did not convert to it. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who identify as Christian grew up in Christian families.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
And yes dirty rotten sinner's can go to heaven, through God's grace, believe in him and live your life for him and repent, then Jesus takes the punishment for our sin.
What about people who never hear about jesus.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
they grew up in a christian home, but they make the decision to be a christian themselves, they are not a christian because they grew up in a christian home but because they have made the decision to follow jesus, when they make this decision they then become a christian. you can not be born into a religion, your parent's raise you in the faith, but can not determine whether you become a christian or not ultimatly that is between you or God, any christian will tell you that, it is there choice not there parents
lol. You're so naive.

Lukybear

HSC
A current Christian who grew up in a Christian household is not a convert. They were born into the religion, they did not convert to it. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who identify as Christian grew up in Christian families.
If your born into a Christian family, it dosent mean your automatically christian. They are not born "into" the religion, but rather being exposed to much of its teachings. They can still deny God, and many do. Its ultimately that person's choice, and ofcourse the almighty God's will. Its not naiveity, but rather truthful observations.

And Moll. obviously you havent been to a church lately. We have "many" converts. You should visit, we'll welcome you with open arms, whether catholic or anglican.

anyway, I also disagree that the catholic priests are to be celibate, i think they should be allowed to marry, like they are in many protestant churches, please when you say the church say which church you mean, many of us do not identify with the catholic church
Anglican ftw!

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
It's not about being exposed to much of the teachings, it's about being exposed to only those teachings.

Lukybear

HSC
You think in this day and age, that a person can ONLY be exposed to Christian teaching? Especially tith the internet like this, and all of you athiests public voice their opinions? I dont think all people who are born into a chritian family are idiots, I really dont think so.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
At our age it's pointless to introduce a new religion. We already have our beliefs (or lack thereof) ingrained into our psyche. I'm talking before the age of ten. How much did you know about islam or atheism before the age of ten?
Very few people have the willpower or the curioisty to break or change their basic beliefs at our age.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
If your born into a Christian family, it dosent mean your automatically christian. They are not born "into" the religion, but rather being exposed to much of its teachings. They can still deny God, and many do. Its ultimately that person's choice, and ofcourse the almighty God's will. Its not naiveity, but rather truthful observations.
You're right, they aren't automatically Christian, they are only labelled as such. Seriously, when the parents of primary school kids say their children is Christian, I really question whether they are or not. Do they really have faith in Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Personally, it seems that adults are simply pushing their belief and faith onto children. Last time I checked, I was still colouring nice pretty pictures when I was that age, do you really expect them to be able to truly decide for themselves on such matters?

Sure, they can still deny God later in life, but really, its alot harder to go against what they've been taught as the 'truth' the vast majority of their youth. It's their choice then, but in early stages of nurturing by their parents, it isn't - it is naivety.

mootlicker

HSC
N/A
Continuum, pretend you became a Christian and were so gripped by Christ and felt compelled to live your life as one, do you think raising your children up to become Christians would be high on your list of priorities?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Continuum, pretend you became a Christian and were so gripped by Christ and felt compelled to live your life as one, do you think raising your children up to become Christians would be high on your list of priorities?
Yes, of course I've thought about that, for several of my family members do just that with their own children. Personally, I honestly don't believe that's an adequate justification for it. They take their children to Christian conventions, take them to Christian fairs, let them play with other children of Christians. Isn't it just abit pushy for their age? Young children should get alot of things from their parents but I don't believe religion should be one of them. Sure, expose them to Christianity and tell them that they themselves are Christian, but really, why not do so when they're older and more mature? When they are actually somewhat independent and can think for themselves? Does it not bear an uncanny resemblance to circumcision - whether such matters should be made by the parents or the child himself, the one who ultimately has to live with it.

That said, I can empathise and do understand why they Christians would strongly encourage their children to become Christians - it's just that I don't find it an adequete reason nor believe in going to hell for not being Christian.

Lukybear

HSC
You're right, they aren't automatically Christian, they are only labelled as such. Seriously, when the parents of primary school kids say their children is Christian, I really question whether they are or not. Do they really have faith in Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Personally, it seems that adults are simply pushing their belief and faith onto children. Last time I checked, I was still colouring nice pretty pictures when I was that age, do you really expect them to be able to truly decide for themselves on such matters?

Sure, they can still deny God later in life, but really, its alot harder to go against what they've been taught as the 'truth' the vast majority of their youth. It's their choice then, but in early stages of nurturing by their parents, it isn't - it is naivety.
To become a Christian is a personal choice. No human being can just say, "Ok, your born into our family, your going to become a Christian.

And like really, as you said, at such an age, i doubt that they can truly make personal choices yet, and therefore say that Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit is all true and decleare complete faith. Perhaps some very young children can admit it, but i have a certain degree of doubt in their faith. But ofcourse there are exceptions.

I think, only once a person has reached a certain level of maturity, they can declear faith or deny it. And by that age, depending on person, that person would completely be informed on the options and have the choice to deny.

Therefore, becoming a Christian for most people, is about personal choice, and less about being born into certain conditions. In this day and age where information is so easily grapsed, and our libertiery is a triumph of mankind, nothing can deny a person's freewill in religion (in majority of cases).

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
To become a Christian is a personal choice. No human being can just say, "Ok, your born into our family, your going to become a Christian.
Yet that is exactly what's happening with many primary school children.

And like really, as you said, at such an age, i doubt that they can truly make personal choices yet, and therefore say that Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit is all true and decleare complete faith. Perhaps some very young children can admit it, but i have a certain degree of doubt in their faith. But ofcourse there are exceptions.

I think, only once a person has reached a certain level of maturity, they can declear faith or deny it. And by that age, depending on person, that person would completely be informed on the options and have the choice to deny.

Therefore, becoming a Christian for most people, is about personal choice, and God's will (which we cannot interfer).
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Though your last part is somewhat paradoxical - humans interfere with God's will because of personal choice.

Lukybear

HSC
At our age it's pointless to introduce a new religion. We already have our beliefs (or lack thereof) ingrained into our psyche. I'm talking before the age of ten. How much did you know about islam or atheism before the age of ten?
Very few people have the willpower or the curioisty to break or change their basic beliefs at our age.

Many people change, perhaps not at our age (>20) as we are ignorant, but when they are much more wiser and older. Take my church for example, countless of new "converts" of around 20-30 become new Christians all the time.

I urge you moll. to vist a church, if not to listen to their all wise knowledge, you to gain some extra information about Christianity, and perhaps use it to argue against Iron, or even me in such threads.

Lukybear

HSC
Yet that is exactly what's happening with many primary school children.
I dont think so. Going to church and being exposed to scripture dosent make children automatically christians. It just give them the perspective of Christianity. Their not actually Christians until they can declear their own faith. However i dont disagree, that there is a certain level of bias for these children.

Yet again, i dont doubt that some of these children who's parents have decleared their faiths, dont actually have faith, i.e. dont even know or care what is going on. Many needs maturing.

Its good that we are agreeing for once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)