Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Just like Buddhists, Hindus and Muslims truly believe they are worshipping the correct god, enough to throw their lives away.
Other religious cultures (including ours) believe in different higher beings because they were brought up with the statements of others crammed into their heads or their religion gives an easy answer to questions.

So what makes you so certain that you're god is the only god above all others?

... apart from faith, which is just a silly answer.
ill just answer some things from your post

1.buddhists don't really believe in God
2. you're going to be so presumptuous and arrogant to assume that the reason why i believe in God is because i've been crammed with religion?
3. well english wiz it's 'YOUR' not 'you're

as for your question.
read CS Lewis' 'mere christianity'

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Funny anecdote: In year eight we were all handed copies of the New Testament in scripture classes. Like most people, I just put it in my bag and forgot about it.
A few months later, I was making giant spit balls and hurling them at the ceiling to make them stick (as an immature 13 year-old does). Anyway, I ran out of paper, so after searching through my bag I stumbled across my copy of the NT. I figured, hey, why ruin the party over a small divinity issue, so I started using it. Anyway, a few of my friends found out what my ammunition was and freaked out, warning me not to use the bible cos that would be bad luck. I ignored them.
Long story, short; FIVE YEARS LATER AND I'M STILL GOING STRONG.
LUCK, SHMUCK.
YOUR GOD IS A PANSY.
Just fyi.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, we also got new testaments in year 7, a friend and I started eating random pages out of it when we got bored, as immature 13 year olds do.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, I went to uni to drop a course transfer form in the other day and there were freaking religious poops handing out bible shit. The old bastard forced it on me, lucky there was a bin not far away.

Name_Taken

HSC
Because someone told you he does?
Lol and someone with the last name Dawkins told you He doesn't?

I believe in God because I do. Not because someone thrust a Bible in my hands and told me to read it out loud. Faith is always a personal choice, its impossible for anyone to force a faith or belief onto someone else.

What about it?
It's a true story thats what ;)

Yeh, I went to uni to drop a course transfer form in the other day and there were freaking religious poops handing out bible shit. The old bastard forced it on me, lucky there was a bin not far away.
Why so wasteful? You could have looked him squarely in the eye and said you didn't want it, failing that, you could have just lied and said you already have one. So much BS "religious prick forced it to poor little innocent me".

The Bible is a work of fiction, written by fallible humans.
Lol everything is written by humans, so everything is flawed by that reasoning. The laws we abide by, declarations of human rights, our year 2 classroom rules everything.

The Bible was written by humans, no-one disputes that, but it was inspired by God, its His message to the human race.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Lol and someone with the last name Dawkins told you He doesn't?
I am not atheist. I am agnostic. ;)

I neither deny nor acknowledge the existence of a higher being. However, I do not believe in the Christian interpretation of God because it is illogical.

I believe in God because I do. Not because someone thrust a Bible in my hands and told me to read it out loud. Faith is always a personal choice, its impossible for anyone to force a faith or belief onto someone else.
I meant that someone had conveyed these ideas to you, and you decided to make them part of you. Had that person (or these people) not done that, then you would be very unlikely to be Christian. It is impossible for anyone to force a faith or belief onto someone else, that is correct. But there's a thing called gullibility.

Lol everything is written by humans, so everything is flawed by that reasoning. The laws we abide by, declarations of human rights, our year 2 classroom rules everything.
I did not say that everything written by humans is fiction. Religious texts are narrative fiction, whereas Laws are not narrative and so cannot be considered fiction.

The Bible was written by humans, no-one disputes that, but it was inspired by God, its His message to the human race.
And "his message" is told and interpreted by who? Humans. What part of "God" have you heard from? Humans.

123 B A N G

HSC
Yes, I believe in that reasoning, therefore I do believe everything written by flawed human will be flawed. And it is. Laws are forever flawed, just as the declaration of human rights is constantly being amended, and perhaps our year 2 classroom rules were flawed - they didn't really promote free discussion or free thinking now did they :p.

paulpang22288

HSC
Terrorists are inspired by God to bomb buildings, trains, subways and buses too. At least actions speak louder than words:)

You might argue the Muslim god Allah is different to the Christian god Yahweh, but unfortunately they are fundamentally the same thing... the Abrahamic religious god. EVEN IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE they are the same person, look at Leviticus and Deuteronomy, if not many Jesus' quotes in the New Testament, friggin' barbaric and immoral aye? (Slavery, rape, sadomasochism, honour killings "WAIT, don't Muslims have that too?", incest, racism, genocide etc.) AND TRUST ME, none were taken out of context.

So there you go, your lovely Bible, words written by humans INSPIRED BY GOD. Isn't he all loving?:D

I'm not saying I can refute that your "god" did not inspire people to write those texts, but if anything/anyone inspired any humans to come up with shit like that, he/she/it must be a pretty fucked up barbaric monstrous cunt, something/someone that would think raping engaged teenage virgins is heaps cool..... OH WAIT, DID HE??????

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
examine the new testament
uhh it really does not adequately explain WHY these obvious illogicalities are there, it just says a bunch of crap and hopes that we're dumb enough to believe it

seen you're the resident expert in the new testament why dont you be so kind to quote some relevant paragraphs?

Last edited:

moeycq

b0$$
HSC
Terrorists are inspired by God to bomb buildings, trains, subways and buses too. At least actions speak louder than words:)

You might argue the Muslim god Allah is different to the Christian god Yahweh, but unfortunately they are fundamentally the same thing... the Abrahamic religious god. EVEN IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE they are the same person, look at Leviticus and Deuteronomy, if not many Jesus' quotes in the New Testament, friggin' barbaric and immoral aye? (Slavery, rape, sadomasochism, honour killings "WAIT, don't Muslims have that too?", incest, racism, genocide etc.) AND TRUST ME, none were taken out of context.

So there you go, your lovely Bible, words written by humans INSPIRED BY GOD. Isn't he all loving?:D

I'm not saying I can refute that your "god" did not inspire people to write those texts, but if anything/anyone inspired any humans to come up with shit like that, he/she/it must be a pretty fucked up barbaric monstrous cunt, something/someone that would think raping engaged teenage virgins is heaps cool..... OH WAIT, DID HE??????
you have no idea what you're talking about.

stfu

Sighduck

HSC
Proof of Gods existance will eliminate the need of faith and hence one of the fundamental principles of christainity would be no longer existant.

there is no proof or disproof to gods existance.

You cannot say that aliens dont exist beacause there is no proof nor can u say that they do
hence on this logic i stand by my belief that God is real and if u decide that he isnt it is your choice or theory

hence an agument/debate on whether god exists or doesnt if entirely pointless as there is no factual evidence pointing either way

Ben1220

HSC
Proof of Gods existance will eliminate the need of faith and hence one of the fundamental principles of christainity would be no longer existant.

there is no proof or disproof to gods existance.

You cannot say that aliens dont exist beacause there is no proof nor can u say that they do
hence on this logic i stand by my belief that God is real and if u decide that he isnt it is your choice or theory

hence an agument/debate on whether god exists or doesnt if entirely pointless as there is no factual evidence pointing either way
Ok then, lets assume that you're right, and that there is no way to prove that god does or does not exist (which is probably a correct premise, but the following does not rely on it being so). If this is true then that doesn't mean we should all just get up and go home, there are other questions that can be asked. The obvious one is:

What should we believe given there is no prospect of a sound proof or disproof of gods existence?

I don't think we should completely throw critical thinking out the window simply because we can't know for certain.

The question is, what should we do with the limited resources we have to reason about Gods existence. How should we play with the mediocre cards we have been dealt when it comes to this kind of metaphysical knowledge? Now of course if you are interested in the truth then your aim would be to come to a conclusion that is true. It should be noted however that not everyone is interested in (only) the truth. For many, happiness, satisfaction, ect are more important than the truth. And the prospect of a loving God watching over them and eternal life ect makes a lot of people very happy.

Back to reality, if we assume that we ARE interested in the truth, then the question " What should we believe given there is no prospect of a sound proof or disproof of gods existence? " takes on a more well defined meaning, and we can go about reasoning about this question.

It should go without saying that the conclusion we would come to is limited, as it has been assumed that no proof either way exists. Some kind of idea of how and why it is limited would be another desirable thing to figure out in the process. I'm not going to attempt to answer this question, I will leave the following somewhat relevant quote from Bertrand Russell as food for thought and a possible starting point:

"Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.
I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.
On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.
None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.
Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line."

ilikebeeef

HSC
I would define myself as an agnostic, more specifically a secular humanist. I neither acknowledge nor deny the existence of a higher being.

But. "God" as Christians interpret it to be is impossible.

It does not make sense how a God can give humans "free will" and then threaten to send them to Hell if they do not use it in a way that HE wants them to. It is plain blackmail, and does not reflect his true all-loving nature which Christians claim that he has. Giving true free would involve saying something like "Okay do whatever you want, I won't intervene in your businesses, have fun"

If The Christian God is really that smart and caring, then he wouldn't think that humans are so dumb to rely purely on faith and no proof or reliable evidence.

noobs

HSC
Ok, so here goes my contribution.

I believe the term god, is a symbol of human nativity and somewhat selfishness. Although no HARD proof is evident on either side of the argument, there is a growing compilation of evidence against the bible. Many strong arguments for and against the Christian religion are out there however i personally cannot get my head around a few main things.

God created every molecule and element. He created life and everything we know. He is "all knowing and all seeing". I don't understand this whatsoever. If he created everything, he created the power of human consciousness. If he is all knowing and seeing... he would know that other religions would be made, wars would occur and all the fucked up shit in the world we live in. People will argue that god gave us our own power to choose whether we beleive in him or not. All i see of this is a threat. If you dont believe in him you go to hell for the rest of eternity. i know im all over the place but im tired and i dont know how to sentence this shit goddamit religion causes shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)