Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

ilikebeeef

HSC
You non believers really make me laugh with your so called rational arguments.
Lol believers don't even have rational arguments. There are none for blind faith.

One day when the judgment day comes you will all regret what you have said here on this forum.
Roflcopters, cos someone told you that right?

Durga

HSC
You non believers really make me laugh with your so called rational arguments. One day when the judgment day comes you will all regret what you have said here on this forum.
Great argument right there mate! I'm sure I'll be scared to shit when Judgement Day comes, but I'll take my chances (and trust me, they're good) until then.

Bereie

HSC
Religion is a choice, an opinion and a way of life. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like everyone abides to their own ethics and morals, one has the choice to follow what they please.
Your religion is backward and shit.

:tree:

Scorch

HSC
Dawkins was on Q&A tonight. He was rubbish. Bring back Hitchens I say.
Yes and no. He was actually more polite and fair-mannered than Hitchens ever will be, but to be honest he was provided with the most basically idiotic opposition ever. It also irritates me to no end how the host of that show tries to share things around so much that people aren't even able to respond to questions addressed directly to them while other people plod around with their irrelevant shit.

Durga

HSC
Yes and no. He was actually more polite and fair-mannered than Hitchens ever will be, but to be honest he was provided with the most basically idiotic opposition ever. It also irritates me to no end how the host of that show tries to share things around so much that people aren't even able to respond to questions addressed directly to them while other people plod around with their irrelevant shit.
+1.

He was way too polite with Stephen Fielding. If Hitchens were there, he would have definitely made him cry. :hammer:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Sucks that this poll has to be polarised. :\

We need a "neither" type of vote. Fence-sitting ftw.

Scorch

HSC
He was way too polite with Stephen Fielding. If Hitchens were there, he would have definitely made him cry.
I would have paid to see that.

The guy on the left (I think the Minister for Agriculture) was a complete idiot as well.

Garygaz

HSC
I used to think those who were hardcore christians/jews/muslims/whatever and undisputedly believed in a god and spouted out random religious shit to defend their beliefs were stupid, but now I see that atheists are morphing into the same, propaganda spewing, single minded idiots that I had previously reserved for the above.

Half the atheists who blurt out crap like 'yea modern science bro, quantum physics, big bang bro' and put on their troll faces and call believers idiots are just as bad as them, I mean how many of the year 10 kids here actually went and read or researched about the shit which they claim made them choose a particular belief system (atheism) over another. I swear atheism is as bandwagon as christianity was in the dark ages, people do it cause its fucking like a fashion statement and its cool for this millennium and lets them feel important with their uni friends.

Some of you need to actually read and research for yourselves and not just say 'but man those scientists with high iqs can't be wrong, god damn sand hippies from 2000 years ago can't be right' and say that the big bang proves the non-existence of a higher being when you're knowledge of the big bang is 'stuff getting hot and shit exploding and then life'.

If however, you have actually gone and thought about it long and hard, researched it, discussed it, kudos to you, you are among the few people who litter these threads with a sense of authenticity.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I used to think those who were hardcore christians/jews/muslims/whatever and undisputedly believed in a god and spouted out random religious shit to defend their beliefs were stupid, but now I see that atheists are morphing into the same, propaganda spewing, single minded idiots that I had previously reserved for the above.

Half the atheists who blurt out crap like 'yea modern science bro, quantum physics, big bang bro' and put on their troll faces and call believers idiots are just as bad as them, I mean how many of the year 10 kids here actually went and read or researched about the shit which they claim made them choose a particular belief system (atheism) over another. I swear atheism is as bandwagon as christianity was in the dark ages, people do it cause its fucking like a fashion statement and its cool for this millennium and lets them feel important with their uni friends.

Some of you need to actually read and research for yourselves and not just say 'but man those scientists with high iqs can't be wrong, god damn sand hippies from 2000 years ago can't be right' and say that the big bang proves the non-existence of a higher being when you're knowledge of the big bang is 'stuff getting hot and shit exploding and then life'.

If however, you have actually gone and thought about it long and hard, researched it, discussed it, kudos to you, you are among the few people who litter these threads with a sense of authenticity.
I agree with what you said, but you have to keep in mind the kind of forum this is and why they are here. For most of the little atheist-fascists, this forum is where they'll do their research, discuss the topics and read both sides. This is a forum full of 16 and 17 year-olds who are only just awakening to the wide world of religion, not a forum for well-read adults. You'll find that most of the older members are either a lot more moderate in their atheism or at the very least a lot more informed, and I'd bet that over time the little pricks will become likewise.

Logey

HSC
I completely agree with you and the bloke above.As you say, the majority of the people on this forum are (rightfully) not adults, and I beleive they havn't researched the necessary sources enough. Ive noticed a lot of these kids getting fairly defencive over their beleifs, after all this forum entitles people to challenge one another,in areas where many of these kids have never been challenged. I ask you to excuse irrational statements made by people on behalf of entire religions/groups.
I also agree atheism has become a trend. As if rebelling against the conventional ,suburban, christian lifestyles of 'brainwashed' churchgoers is somthing new and hip. Like they are the 'thinking' kids who turned their backs to the conformist majority, when in actual fact they are the majority in their own social groups.
A simple qoute from Richard Dawkins or a famous pastor is not going to be enough to support your argument. I would like to know you have researched both Christianity and Atheist theorys and sources.

thanks for listening to my rant. Continue irrational arguments

3Lachlan2

HSC
you can't prove that god is real or fake... the questions just keeps going round and round no matter how hard you think about it.. personally i hate religions.. so god doesn't exist in my world
by that logic you should start saying that flying spaghetti monsters are real ONLY because they cannot be disproved. theres something that you need: common sense.

-Hey-

HSC
I've been on a philosophical journey for a while. And, i think the following things can contribute to this argument (excuse me if they have already been mentioned, i don't have time to sift through 1000 pages of argument to hear REPOSTREPOST).

"Could [an omnipotent being] create a stone so heavy that even that being could not lift it?" If so, then it seems that the being could cease to be omnipotent; if not, it seems that the being was not omnipotent to begin with.

Poses a good question. And, relates to;

'Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God. - Epicurus

Think what you want, but with those two little pieces of insight, I enjoy the mockery of the half-baked christians on their horses of righteousness. I have come to the conclusion that its basically impossible to disprove or prove a God's existence, but I still enjoy poking holes in religion. The arrogance of the whole 'It's my god, or burn in hell', actually gets me angry.

Would appreciate criticism :) I like to be somewhat wrong.

Titburger

HSC
"Could [an omnipotent being] create a stone so heavy that even that being could not lift it?" If so, then it seems that the being could cease to be omnipotent; if not, it seems that the being was not omnipotent to begin with.
It's a logical impossibility, in that the question itself cannot work. Self-contradictory things are not included in the exercise of God's omnipotence if he is to exist, ie. God cannot make 2 + 2 = 5 etc

-Hey-

HSC
It's a logical impossibility, in that the question itself cannot work. Self-contradictory things are not included in the exercise of God's omnipotence if he is to exist, ie. God cannot make 2 + 2 = 5 etc
Exactly. If he is to exist. Which puts into question, gods ability to make 2 + 2 = 5. He should be able to do 'Anything' if he is the all powerful being of the entire universe.

I think your missing the point with the stone.

If god is omnipotent, then answer this:

Could he create a stone that he could not lift?

Well, there are lots of ways to approach this, but lets take the most obvious.

He can, but then when he does, he loses his ability to become omnipotent, because he cannot perform a certain action, e.g. lifting a stone that he himself created.

Now, the other obvious answer is that he cannot create something more omnipotent than he, also destroying the theory of God's omnipotency.

With all power, surely he can create and do anything. But something with all power should be able to create something as powerful as he, considering his unlimited power. But, would that threaten your idea of a singular God? And who is to say that, the infinite creator of the world and universe has not already split himself. Considering the Holy Trinity, it should be more than possible. It's not self contradictory. It's providing people with the idea that God's omnipotency is removed if he himself does not have full power over the rock, which he evidently does not.
:p

mirakon

nigga
HSC
And yet, this leads to the ultimate question in this entire argument? Is logic and reason the limit of all things? Are logic and reason irrefutable constants?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)