Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

idkkdi

HSC
okay, if you pray from the depths of your heart and truly have faith you shall receive maybe now, maybe never, God knows the perfect timing
@dan964
Bruh, I'm pretty sure your idea of God was way different from Coconut1's ngl. She's more hardcore right?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
@dan964
Bruh, I'm pretty sure your idea of God was way different from Coconut1's ngl. She's more hardcore right?
I think what you are comparing are different rationales. one is that of a mystical (perhaps eastern orthodox) vs. an evangelical protestant Christian.

i have some common ground with her (e.g. we both affirm the Trinity), but also a lot of differences, particularly emphasis and understanding about miracles. tbh, she has said some weird stuff about holy fire that I don't necessarily agree with (although fun fact, I have actually been to that church in Jerusalem).

another e.g. if you pray to God for $1 million dollars - I would answer that Q with: no God will not answer that prayer, because that prayer is ultimately selfish, and also with prayer, it helps to know what God wants of us and for us (and I believe Coconut1 and I would disagree on that).

Evangelicals, which is what I would say that I am part of is fairly 'hardcore', in the sense of people being passionate about what they believe in, and desiring to share it with others. Our emphasis is very different though, less about signs, miracles, weird fire, (or even traditions), in knowing and encountering God

while I take the view (along with others) that we believe to be consistent with what the Bible says, that is we know God through the Bible which is primarily about his Son Jesus. And so our emphasis is more about the gospel, the good news of who Jesus is and what Jesus has done to save us.

e.g.
Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

If you want to know and encounter God, the Father, you do so by encountering Jesus (also God) who saves us, and how do you encounter Jesus, by the Spirit (God) who inspires the words of Scripture (i.e. the whole of the Trinity is involved, in helping one to know God) and indeed helps us understand the gospel.

So there is your difference :)
- One emphasises the work of the Spirit primarily in the work of the miraculous or mystical experiences (which I would add is unverifiable)
- The other emphasis is in the sure and tested Spirit-breathed/inspired word of the Scriptures (Bible) and the work of the Trinity (triune God) in saving people through Jesus.
(mine is the latter)

Last edited:

jojosiwa123

HSC
This passage came up yesterday and may I say perfect timing,

St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 2:5-11
Brethren, have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
I still don't get the trinity...this passage contradicts itself by saying Jesus did not count equality with God and then saying christ is the Lord...

jojosiwa123

HSC
i do believe in god or a higher being, but i alo believ in science.

so big confusion
idk I think God and science can co-exist, at least in Islam they can i'm not sure about the other religions. like the idea of evolution or the big bang theory etc I know many christians who don't believe in those but personally I don't see why those things couldn't co-exist w religion... if you believe in God's power you should have the capacity to believe that he could have made those things happen if that makes sense...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I still don't get the trinity...this passage contradicts itself by saying Jesus did not count equality with God and then saying christ is the Lord...
my suggestion is not to try to get the Trinity purely intellectually, otherwise you'll struggle and never get it.
you need to wrestle with Jesus, and his death (death on a cross), and read the text and ask the questions the text leads you to ask about who Jesus is...

e.g. when I read that passage I have the following questions:
1. what does it mean for Jesus to have the very 'form' as God?

2. what does it mean for Jesus not to 'count' this equality as something to be grasped?

3. why did Jesus do this, make himself humble and obedient even to death on a cross?

4. what justification did God have for raising Jesus back up and seating him above everyone else?

If you get lost intellectually, don't start with the Trinity, start with Jesus and his death on the cross, and ask the serious questions, what does this mean, what actually is accomplished here, and who is this man?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
idk I think God and science can co-exist, at least in Islam they can i'm not sure about the other religions. like the idea of evolution or the big bang theory etc I know many christians who don't believe in those but personally I don't see why those things couldn't co-exist w religion... if you believe in God's power you should have the capacity to believe that he could have made those things happen if that makes sense...
Islam can have its problematic science v. God passages (passages which if taken purely on face value and misunderstood, can be scientifically erroneous. You can look up any atheist website and they will happily list off religious passages, which to them, seem like contradictions between science and religion.

re: Christians and evolution. I would agree that God is capable of using natural processes such as 'evolution' in bringing things about, BUT I would disagree that current evolutionary theory in its current form and with its assumptions and implications is correct.

Indeed natural processes (physical/chemical) cannot account for non-physical concepts such as language and information. Nor does evolution have explanatory power for the origins NOR the understanding of what it means for something to be living / consciousness.

I am of the strong opinion, that only the Christian worldview gives the proper tools and concepts to have a rational basis for science and for some of the important concepts that Western society is built on.

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
another e.g. if you pray to God for $1 million dollars - I would answer that Q with: no God will not answer that prayer, because that prayer is ultimately selfish, and also with prayer, it helps to know what God wants of us and for us (and I believe Coconut1 and I would disagree on that).

You actually explained that perfectly, what I mean't to say was nothing is impossible with God , for example if you needed that 1 million to make a church or help an orphanage whose to say God won't say yes. But in terms of wanting 1 million as a sign he is there, yes that probably will not happen as the example Dan964 explained.

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

But if you have faith you are able to do anything.

Last edited:

yooook

HSC

You actually explained that perfectly, what I mean't to say was nothing is impossible with God , for example if you needed that 1 million to make a church or help an orphanage whose to say God won't say yes. But in terms of wanting 1 million as a sign he is there, yes that probably will not happen as the example Dan964 explained.

But if you have faith you are able to do anything.
do u dislike gay ppl then?

since its in the bible ?:rolleyes:

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
do u dislike gay ppl then?

since its in the bible ?:rolleyes:
I don't dislike gay people no christian does but we do see homosexuality as a lustful sin.

When we advocate against gay marriage it does not mean we have anything against the person however we don't want them hurting themselves because as our greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself, and as God have loved us. In the past there has definitely been christians who approach this wrong for example saying gays will go to hell. They have good intentions but the way they deliver this message goes against the bible.

In the bible its say Matthew 7 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

That is why there is a tension between the gay community and christians because the gays believe that we are judging them and the christians believe they are doing the right thing telling them they will go to hell. However both cases are wrong, instead their is a more civil manner of approaching it which can only work with the power of loving your neighbour.

Last edited:

yooook

HSC
I don't dislike gay people no christian does but we do see homosexuality as a lustful sin.

When we advocate against gay marriage it does not mean we have anything against the person however we don't want them hurting themselves because as our greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself, and as God have loved us. In the past there has definitely been christians who approach this wrong for example saying gays will go to hell. They have good intentions but the way they deliver this message is unkind and goes against the bible.

In the bible its say Matthew 7 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

That is why there is a tension between the gay community and christians because the gays believe that we are judging them and the christians believe they are doing the right thing telling them they will go to hell. However both cases are wrong, instead their is a more civil manner of approaching it which can only work with the power of loving your neighbour.
I reckon when the bible was written gay ppl started to emerge and were seen as outcasts in all cultures and society. hence leading to it being put into the bible and being opposed to it being inputted into the religion. henceforth Christianity believing against gayism etc

yooook

HSC

When we advocate against gay marriage it does not mean we have anything against the person however we don't want them hurting themselves because as our greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself, and as God have loved us. In the past there has definitely been christians who approach this wrong for example saying gays will go to hell. They have good intentions but the way they deliver this message goes against the bible.

What I don't understand about religion is the vast majority of people just believe what they're told from birth and they follow the religions of their parents. if u were born in Hinduism you would be a Hindu. so how can only Christianity be right, I have talked with other Christians and they have so much bigotry and fuel to prove only their religion is right and do not accept other religions. And when you provide facts to these Christian ( i have legit talked to 100's) they just say other religions are lies even though Hinduism was founded well before Christianity.

This is why I believe in and respect my own religion, my religion states that there is only 1 god. And each religion on earth follows that same God but in their different ways. Each religion has its own prophets (Jesus, Muhammed, guru Nanak, Krishna etc) who acts as guides who direct people to their religion and god which is everyone's god. This is why Jesus is seen in Islam. etc

Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, so y is it not correct if it came 3000 years before Christianity?

yooook

HSC

That is why there is a tension between the gay community and Christians because the gays believe that we are judging them and the Christians believe they are doing the right thing telling them they will go to hell. However both cases are wrong, instead, there is a more civil manner of approaching it which can only work with the power of loving your neighbour.
also think about it culturally and geographically too, if Christianity was fully adopted throughout the middle east and Islam were spread to western countries such as the UK, USA, AUS etc. You would most likely be Muslim. Just something to think about. 🤖

yooook

HSC
people don't join religion with the freedom and perspective of an adult mind, but with the forced, indoctrinating pressure from their parents or churches or schools at a young age. And from then on, they're trapped in the mire of "God will solve your problems, WORSHIP THE SKY FAIRY"

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
You make a valid point if you were born into a religion how do you know what is right? I believe God sent Jesus unto this earth to show people the right way of life and to teach them how they should live their lives pleasing to God. There are many differences in what is being taught in our religions, for example Buddhists don't believe in God, Hinduism believes in many Gods, Judaism believe that Jesus has not come yet, and Islam believe the trinity and anyone who believes Jesus is the Son of God to have committed sin. Another difference between the Islamic God and the Christian God is his Fatherhood. According to Jesus, God is our Father, yet the Quran denies this and states in 5.18, tells Muslims to rebuke Jews and Christians for calling God their loving Father because humans are just things that God has created. When I read the bible I feel fulfilled knowing that everything we do can be righteous and when I do these actions I feel loved and to make other people feel loved, feels so right. These aren't just rules we follow, but when we gain a deeper understanding from these scriptures, allow us to be untouched by suffering and evil.

Last edited:

yooook

HSC
You make a valid point if you were born into a religion how do you know what is right? I believe God sent Jesus unto this earth to show people the right way of life and to teach them how they should live their lives pleasing to God. The similarities between all religions is that we all believe in a God and a purpose of life. However, what makes us different is what is being taught in our religions, when I read the bible I feel fulfilled knowing that everything we do can be righteous and when I do these actions I feel loved and to make other people feel loved, feels so right. These aren't just rules we follow, but when we gain a deeper understanding from these scriptures, allow us to be untouched by suffering and evil.
but god also sent the other prophets to teach good and bad

jojosiwa123

HSC
people don't join religion with the freedom and perspective of an adult mind, but with the forced, indoctrinating pressure from their parents or churches or schools at a young age. And from then on, they're trapped in the mire of "God will solve your problems, WORSHIP THE SKY FAIRY"
I don't agree w that...plenty of ppl convert into a religion and find God or religion as adults. You're right though the majority of people are probably born into it but I think religion can be a grounding factor in people's lives, it genuinely is something that can guide ppl when they feel lost regardless of whether it's the truth or not.

Coconut1

HSC
N/A
but god also sent the other prophets to teach good and bad
Yes that's also a point before Jesus, God sent prophets such as Moses who was given the ten commandments for the people and how Moses led the Jews out of slavery in Egypt and led them to the Holy Land that God had promised them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)