• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (4 Viewers)

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The idea that a relationship with God the only thing that makes you a good person deserving to go to Heaven in God's eyes is perhaps the most offensive thing about evangelical Christianity.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
jezzabelle86 said:
well just because your sins are forgiven it doesnt mean you stop sinning.. doesnt make you a perfect person. you still have evil desires, we still stuff up, and so we arent ready for heaven yet.

we live on this earth with a purpose from God, it is what we were created for. Christians have the purpose to live a life that glorifies God while they develop their spritual gifts for heaven. They have also been instructed to spread the Gospel. This is the meaning of existence while we are on earth. As christians we believe that we live in the world, but are not of the world. Our home is heaven and we want as many people as we can to come with us. Our meaning is to take people with us to heaven....

without God everything is meaningless. you toil and save and spend and in the end you are the same mound of dirt as anyone else.

Christians toil and suffer and live to bring pleasure to God. Our treasue awaits us in heaven
Bring pleasure to God? Ignoring the connotations inherent within the word pleasure, how would you define the process by which we satisfy the desires of your God?

Jezzabelle

Monkey Butler said:
As has already been said, why would God allow the Devil to get a foothold in Eden? That's pointless, stupid, cruel and most importantly unloving, as has already been pointed out too.
unloving??????????

The Devil represents a persona that wanted to rule its own existence instead of being ruled by its creator. It wanted to be more powerful then God.

This represents an attitude that was going to be existing in God's universe. Allowing this attitute to exist is a loving act by God, giving us a CHOICE.
The idea that a relationship with God the only thing that makes you a good person deserving to go to Heaven in God's eyes is perhaps the most offensive thing about evangelical Christianity.
uhhh 'good person' ... 'deserving' ... wrong words to use my friend.
I dont think Christians are good people that deserve heaven. thats not evangelical christianity at all..

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
jezzabelle86 said:
And i also dont believe in any form of karma or reincarnation, because this thinking does not solve anything, it only creates more problems. A murder coming back and by karma he is then a murder victim in his next life, but this just creates another muderer, to muder him, which creates another murderer... get my point?
This is a very limited way of thinking about Karma. It's more - you do something that you know is wrong, and it comes back and bites you in the arse.

And you haven't addressed my issues with Creationism yet. You talk about holes in Evolution, but what about the completely ridiculous foundation that Creationism stands on?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Armani said:
Bring pleasure to God? Ignoring the connotations inherent within the word pleasure, how would you define the process by which we satisfy the desires of your God?
does god have desires?...................wat god has desires? ppl keep refering to god in the relative world. god does not want or need anything from his creation. it is for our own benefit that we worship god and abide by his laws..........wat god would want to oppress and hurt his creation. wat does the god of any religion ask for.........

for acknowlegment
for his creation to respect one another
give to charity
i dunno abt other religions but islam forbids alcohol, drugs as they r bad for u. i dont see that god asks anything of his ppl that is too harsh.......wat he asks is also not for his desire rather it is for our benefit.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
jezzabelle86 said:
unloving??????????

The Devil represents a persona that wanted to rule its own existence instead of being ruled by its creator. It wanted to be more powerful then God.

This represents an attitude that was going to be existing in God's universe. Allowing this attitute to exist is a loving act by God, giving us a CHOICE.

uhhh 'good person' ... 'deserving' ... wrong words to use my friend.
I dont think Christians are good people that deserve heaven. thats not evangelical christianity at all..
If that is so then their is a Devil in every human being. Couldn't you explain this through animal instincts ment for the survival of our species? Say if you were to choose a mate. On what basis would you know whether that person was deserving of your commitment throughout you God given life? If you've never met that person before, on what criteria would you meet that person?

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Allowing evil to take hold of those you created/love isn't what I'd call a loving act, jezza. It's like putting an infant next to a bucket of scalding water and then saying they have the choice of whether or not to put their hand in it. Why not get rid of the danger? Allowing the possibility of sin isn't a matter of lovingly giving people choice. It's about setting people up to fail.

And you make the Devil sound like simply a person who doesn't believe in God/wants to live their own life. You're calling me, and a number of people here, the Devil.

And OK, I'll rephrase my comment - that the only way to complete our purpose in life (ie, getting to Heaven) is by following and worshipping a God that we often do not agree with is utterly offensive. How's that?

And one last thing - if God wanted to give us the choice, why does the Word need to be spread? We've made our Choice, why the need to go preaching annoyingly at us? Or does God want to give us a choice, but only the one he wants?

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
does god have desires?...................wat god has desires? ppl keep refering to god in the relative world. god does not want or need anything from his creation. it is for our own benefit that we worship god and abide by his laws..........wat god would want to oppress and hurt his creation. wat does the god of any religion ask for.........

for acknowlegment
for his creation to respect one another
give to charity
i dunno abt other religions but islam forbids alcohol, drugs as they r bad for u. i dont see that god asks anything of his ppl that is too harsh.......wat he asks is also not for his desire rather it is for our benefit.
I God did not have desires then he would allow me to shape my own future, shape my own destiny, allow me to achieve the goals that I wish to achieve. Would he not be proud of the accomplishments I have set for myself? Is not the purpose of life to define our own existences the way we want them to? The only purpose God would serve is to provide an example of ONE way our lives should be lived. As long as we abide by these rules would we not be granted an opportunity to enter his Pearly Gates or is this not enough for him? Cause whether belief in his existence or not life goes on.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
Allowing evil to take hold of those you created/love isn't what I'd call a loving act, jezza. It's like putting an infant next to a bucket of scalding water and then saying they have the choice of whether or not to put their hand in it. Why not get rid of the danger? Allowing the possibility of sin isn't a matter of lovingly giving people choice. It's about setting people up to fail.

And you make the Devil sound like simply a person who doesn't believe in God/wants to live their own life. You're calling me, and a number of people here, the Devil.

And OK, I'll rephrase my comment - that the only way to complete our purpose in life (ie, getting to Heaven) is by following and worshipping a God that we often do not agree with is utterly offensive. How's that?

And one last thing - if God wanted to give us the choice, why does the Word need to be spread? We've made our Choice, why the need to go preaching annoyingly at us? Or does God want to give us a choice, but only the one he wants?
even a demon if he truly worships god can be forgiven

you guys seem to think that the 'devil' is on par with god,

god created demons (if they exist)

demons tremble with fear when they hear gods name.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Just randomly jumping back into the conversation, wasn't the 'Devil' (aka Lucifer) a 'fallen angel' who waged war on God way back when and corrupted other angels, making them 'demons'?

Or have I got my wired crossed somewhere along the line?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Kwayera said:
Just randomly jumping back into the conversation, wasn't the 'Devil' (aka Lucifer) a 'fallen angel' who waged war on God way back when and corrupted other angels, making them 'demons'?

demons have names?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
dark_angel said:
demons have names?
I have no idea. I just 'know' that the head honcho demon, aka the Devil, was called Lucifer.

Or something.

Jezzabelle

Monkey Butler said:
(i am planning on replying to your other concerns, i just need to go to bed soon)

I am calling you and me and everyone a sinner. not 'the devil'.
Sin by definition is rebelling against God.

The Devil is a persona that is trying to illude as many people as it can into its sad, selfish existence that only leads to death and destruction

Jezzabelle

Kwayera said:

yes. you are right about your definition and it is the definition i am referring to :)

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
jezzabelle86 said:
(i am planning on replying to your other concerns, i just need to go to bed soon)

I am calling you and me and everyone a sinner. not 'the devil'.
Sin by definition is rebelling against God.

The Devil is a persona that is trying to illude as many people as it can into its sad, selfish existence that only leads to death and destruction
Aren't all paths directed towards death and destruction? Its an inevitability.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
But you seem to be saying that the Devil's sad, selfish existence is simply a life without God. Which means that people without God in their life, regardless of their other actions, are under the Devil's influence. So Ghandi was doing the Devil's work, for example.

EDIT: Actually, speaking about that fallen angel thing, where in the Bible does it say that? Cos I've always wondered, and never known. It's funny, even back in forced Scripture classes I was more interested in where the Devil came from than whatever the hell God has to say

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
But you seem to be saying that the Devil's sad, selfish existence is simply a life without God. Which means that people without God in their life, regardless of their other actions, are under the Devil's influence. So Ghandi was doing the Devil's work, for example.
wasnt ghandi a hindu

*crap i think i should know this cos i'm indian :uhhuh:

Jezzabelle

Monkey Butler said:
this is how i see it... (*deep breath*)

there are two roads. one leads to God and eternity and the other road leads to death and hell.
there is no fence in between
if your not on God's road
Your on the other one.
plain and simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)