Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

katie_tully said:
Oh.
My.
God.
1 Peter
"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life"

1 Corinthians 7
3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1 Corinthians 7
5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Ephesians 5
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her ... husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church... 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Colossians 3
19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

katie_tully

jezzabelle86 said:
1 Peter
"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life"

1 Corinthians 7
3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1 Corinthians 7
5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Ephesians 5
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her ... husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church... 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Colossians 3
19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
Weaker partner?
Peter can go fuck himself.

mayhemily

HSC
The thing is, in its beginnings, christianity was a crazy-ass cult that was barely tolerated. Who is really to say that christianity, and 'God' under its framework, is the true religion, compared to the ancient gods worshiped by the romans such as Isis and Apollo. Sure there is this great big book but where is the proof that the bible is actually factual? I personally dont believe in any religion. Each one believes they are right! its quite rediculous when you think about it. I believe in spirituality, I believe in something. And I believe that something doesnt really care what religion they follow as long as they live with conscience and learning. In the end, who is to know whether god does or does not exist? I think the important thing is having a personal belief system to live by whilst at the same time tolerating the beliefs of others.

K

katie_tully

jezzabelle86 said:
well excuse me, but i thort mature discussion is the point of this forum. if you want to verbal spew, do it in NS
I'll do what I like, where I like. Thank you all the same.
Shouldnt you be shining your husbands shoes so that when the day comes and the weaker species in the marriage needs to be saved, you've racked up brownie points?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jezzebelle, how do you cough up verses like that!?

Please dont say you know it off by heart

Jezzabelle

ur_inner_child said:
jezzebelle, how do you cough up verses like that!?

Please dont say you know it off by heart
the verses you kind of just remember.. but i am bad with references... so i go to biblegateway.com and put in the key words from the verse i am thinking of and do a search for the passage, this also helps when i need to write the verse in a post, i can just copy paste from the site.

budj

HSC
Xayma said:
That is assuming that kingship was handed from father to son. If if it was handed occasionaly from grandfather to grandson there is a few more generations but it is flawed anyway. Except according to some Catholic guy the universe was created on my birthday.
I dodn't wuite understand what you said brother. Im not sure whetther our agreeing with the 6000 year thing or not. But who really cares when it was created, or why it was created

superbird

HSC
mayhemily said:
The thing is, in its beginnings, christianity was a crazy-ass cult that was barely tolerated. Who is really to say that christianity, and 'God' under its framework, is the true religion, compared to the ancient gods worshiped by the romans such as Isis and Apollo. Sure there is this great big book but where is the proof that the bible is actually factual? I personally dont believe in any religion. Each one believes they are right! its quite rediculous when you think about it. I believe in spirituality, I believe in something. And I believe that something doesnt really care what religion they follow as long as they live with conscience and learning. In the end, who is to know whether god does or does not exist? I think the important thing is having a personal belief system to live by whilst at the same time tolerating the beliefs of others.
I respect your opinion whole-heartedly :)

Vezzellda

HSC
joujou_84 said:
yeh i did ask u a question Vezzellda. back on like page 81............it was

"wait wait so some of u Christain ppl r saying that no matter wat sins u commit god will forgive u coz jesus died on the cross for u. then y r u alive. wats ur purpose on earth? and can someobody like answer me this time. i swear im being ignored."

it seems stupid asking it again since weve moved on from there but u neva answered it.
Woh...woh.... I was saying that in the context of we can't do any "works" to be loved and saved by God because his standard is perfection. But I clearly remember going on to say that once we realise and trust that we have been forgiven, we attempt to live a life that brings glory to God even though we constantly fall short because we are still sinful.

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that–and shudder." -James 2:14-19

If we were to go on living our own way, as we were before we had put our faith in God, before we had started a new life, that would indicate that we had not at all understood the sacrifice Jesus made or the punishment he has saved us from. We have had a huge debt cancelled by God, we need to live acknowledging that.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Yay for agnosticism.

I'd like to think of myself as an atheist, but deep down I know that there is no way to be sure.

I've been a Christian. I know how you lot think. But to me, Christianity is silly. Full of contradicitions. "The Bible is the word of God". So, if you discount any part of the Bible for whatever reason, you're blaspheming. Christians then try to defend this by giving some crap about how the emphasis is placed on the New Testament rather than the Old (still blaspheming because you're choosing what part of the Bible you want to believe). I suppose that if I were to choose a religion, I'd choose Judaism. Sooo much less complicated than Christianity etc.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
asscookie said:
Yay for agnosticism.

I'd like to think of myself as an atheist, but deep down I know that there is no way to be sure.

I've been a Christian. I know how you lot think. But to me, Christianity is silly. Full of contradicitions. "The Bible is the word of God". So, if you discount any part of the Bible for whatever reason, you're blaspheming. Christians then try to defend this by giving some crap about how the emphasis is placed on the New Testament rather than the Old (still blaspheming because you're choosing what part of the Bible you want to believe). I suppose that if I were to choose a religion, I'd choose Judaism. Sooo much less complicated than Christianity etc.
Judaism basically shares the old testament with Christianity, and Judaism has its own oral commentaries which are interpretations by various people on what is said in the Torah and in the mitzvot, and yes less emphasis is placed on the old because Christians believe that Jesus came to perfect the old system with his new commandment (the Golden rule) and covenant. Obviously contradictions will occur with re-interpretation. Jews however are still waiting for the promised one, and when he arrives they will similarly have a new covenant. And no ones saying the Bible is the word of God...if youve ever been to church and listened to the readings you will hear the words "This is the word of the Lord," meaning Jesus as the new testament is his story. The only real place where God Himself is belived to write into the Bible is through the commandments that he himself wrote

Last edited:

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Historians and scientists have predated the Old Testament to approximately 4000BC. (don't quote me on that)
Genesis at 4000BC?
For scientists, is this not paradoxical?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
max said:
Historians and scientists have predated the Old Testament to approximately 4000BC. (don't quote me on that)
Genesis at 4000BC?
For scientists, is this not paradoxical?
Just because it was written then doesnt mean thats when the things in them occurred. The new testament was written many years after Jesus' death. But yes if you look at it from that perspective the creation as originally explained only occurred some 6000 years ago. This may be why churches have an acceptance of the process of evolution as the source of creation?

Sophie777

jezzabelle86 said:
1 Peter 3:13 - 17
Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

I am just saying... you wont achieve much by the way you are going about it
It is only your opinion, that what you do is good. Being a christian does not absolve you from the responsibility of actively doing good outside religion. Yes, it does detract from the value of your actions that you do them for christ, not in good for others.

Also, you never gave an answer for the reason for your faith and "do not fear what they fear" is evidence as to the value of your faith as an escape rather than any concrete truth.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
budj said:
I dodn't wuite understand what you said brother. Im not sure whetther our agreeing with the 6000 year thing or not. But who really cares when it was created, or why it was created
I disagree with the 6000 yrs thing.

But in any case the 6000yrs could be up to 8000yrs or so by christian standards.

I am in suppot of the Big Bang theory.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The authenticity of the bible, its influences, writings etc, can for the most part be traced to other other myths around the same time.

Near eastern, greek, and even egyptian myths resound highly within the Old testament. As to whether you can believe in them is up to faith and personal choice. To tell others that they are blind and idiots is really not going to get you anywhere. Every belief, every notion of thought is in essence a constructed perception based upon individuals, and even the validity of consciousness and our purpose and existence is something which has plagued humanity for a while without any definitive answer.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But fundamentalist interpretations of anything whilst being in ignorance of the context and construct is dangerous no matter what it is.

If there is to be a notion of blame, should it be placed upon the organisation/object or the subject who has interpreted and re-constructed their perceptions upon the topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)