• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (4 Viewers)

vTr

HSC
Josie said:
Does it make up for your horrendous spelling too?
tell me about it, god knows ive needed a good english teacher since year 2

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
*begin physics geek section*

Well, if there are truly no observers of the falling tree, then the tree exists in a superposition of states -- namely, fallen and not fallen. The ratio of the amplitudes of the wavefunctions making up this superposition will be determined by the assumed initial conditions of the tree in the forest.

So, following this quantum-mechanical interpretation, we have the superposition of wavefunctions representing the air around this tree -- in the simplistic case, one representing the sound of the tree falling, and one representing the absence of this noise. This superposition continues until it is observed by someone or something, at which point it collapses into one of the component wavefunctions.

*end physics geek section*

Sorry, everyone, couldn't resist. :angel:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'd like to propose that God both exists and doesn't exist at the same time, such is the wonder of his awesomeness.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
When we die, we go to King Kai's planet, simple. King Kai is our god.

tag.twix

HSC
soha said:
have u read the bible or quaran..understood them both?
or just reject them because u choose not to believe in god..therefore believe they are written by man?
just wondering..

i have read the bible.. i have friends who believe in the believe.. i have not read the quran (but i am tryign to find time to).. i have friends who believe in it and i ask them questions.. and they tell me what they think and how they read it..

i just reject the bible and the quran just probably becuase my brain doesnt feel for enlightenment (some guy posted somehting about new scientist) but i read it .. i look up on it.. i went to a few christian services.. i just dont 'buy' it i listen to what they have to say.. im not just convinced about what they have to say about us and the way we behave (even though australian morals are from the bible) its just .. lets say.. to structured.. to much contraints i dont have much to say about the quran i havent read it.. and i dont want to say something that im not sure of.. just that im abit skptical about what my friends say

they are written by man.. :D
two authors of the bible were women tho :uhhuh: only TWO... yeah.. i know i brought this up before.. but if god is god wouldnt god treat both sexes the same.. i think i saw it somewhere in the bible... hence wouldnt discriminate buy have 20 males and 20 females writing it (i think there were 40 authors.. correct me if i am wrong)

andrew.

K

katie_tully

Why is it, Mary could claim to be pregnant to a spiritual entity, but anybody these days who claims to have some sort of one on one contact with god/angels/jesus, is considered mentally insane.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
Why is it, Mary could claim to be pregnant to a spiritual entity, but anybody these days who claims to have some sort of one on one contact with god/angels/jesus, is considered mentally insane.
maybe thats why they thought he must be gods son.....wasnt she checked or something and turned out to be a virgin....i dunno......apparently miracles were very common back then not like today....coz it was all new to people....they needed to see it for themselves to believe...

K

katie_tully

"What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions wil be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort that religion offers is that God is driving that bus." - John Ryman, When Galaxies Collide

malkin86

HSC
Katie, who's that Steven F. Roberts in your sig?

In the time when the Bible was written, women often couldn't read or write. Hence the 2 women authors, and possibly the multitude of Pauline scriptures about the inadequacy of women teaching.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
only by those who either dont believe or are actively seeking to debunk the concept of God.....

hmmm...... interesting example for you to use....

somechick

HSC
N/A
tag.twix said:
i have read the bible.. i have friends who believe in the believe.. i have not read the quran (but i am tryign to find time to).. i have friends who believe in it and i ask them questions.. and they tell me what they think and how they read it..

i just reject the bible and the quran just probably becuase my brain doesnt feel for enlightenment (some guy posted somehting about new scientist) but i read it .. i look up on it.. i went to a few christian services.. i just dont 'buy' it i listen to what they have to say.. im not just convinced about what they have to say about us and the way we behave (even though australian morals are from the bible) its just .. lets say.. to structured.. to much contraints i dont have much to say about the quran i havent read it.. and i dont want to say something that im not sure of.. just that im abit skptical about what my friends say

they are written by man.. :D
two authors of the bible were women tho :uhhuh: only TWO... yeah.. i know i brought this up before.. but if god is god wouldnt god treat both sexes the same.. i think i saw it somewhere in the bible... hence wouldnt discriminate buy have 20 males and 20 females writing it (i think there were 40 authors.. correct me if i am wrong)

andrew.

I dont know how many times i've written this but here goes again.

Yes, isn't it true that the two gospels (?) written by females are not considered part of the bible? and the same with the book of barnabas etc.
And that's a very good question you point out there. Like you said, you dont know anything about the Quran so: Mohammed (pbuh) was a male. He was never schooled. He didnt know how to read or write. Illiterate. (Mohammed was the Messenger of Allah. Allah sent the message of the Quran to the angel Jibreal or Gabriel as Christians refer to him, and he memorised the Quran and in turn orated it to scribes). To answer your question, He was no different to a woman because he didn't know how to read or write. Thus, it did not matter if he was male or female- because eithier way, he was unschooled. So unlike the Christian scriptures which differ across each writer's opinions and perspectives, the message would be the same even if Mohammed was a female. He was simply, using an analogy, a 'portal'.
He could not have made the Quran up because it is impossible that a shephard's son with no education make up scientific proofs of the world which are continuing to be discovered and write in literary quality that no one can challenge it. And plus, even if God had 40 males and 40 females writing the Bible, they still would have defects because each one would place their own personal views in it. This is the arguement of Poststructuralist thinkers---narrative bias.

malkin86

HSC
I think that the two books that scholars attribute to two mysterious women, "D" and "J" iirc, are considered by the laity to be written by Moses whilst wandering in the desert.

It is thought by conservative Christians that the authors of the bible were 'portals' like you say Mohammed is.

firehose

HSC
somechick said:
I dont know how many times i've written this but here goes again.

He could not have made the Quran up because it is impossible that a shephard's son with no education make up scientific proofs of the world which are continuing to be discovered and write in literary quality that no one can challenge it. And plus, even if God had 40 males and 40 females writing the Bible, they still would have defects because each one would place their own personal views in it. This is the arguement of Poststructuralist thinkers---narrative bias.
Does that mean you're saying that the Bible is in fact a whole collection of random books written by man? Go and read the bible and you will find it hard to find a substantial amount of different books contradicting each other. The point is that all these books, collected over thousands of years, all point the same message, all preach from the same God, all declare that God is great and we as human sinners must worship him and come to him. Any disrepancies that u may find, you will have to admit, are so insignificant that it makes no effect on the Bible as a whole.

Isn't it amazing that Isaiah prophesised hundreds of years before Jesus' birth about Jesus himself, and what his purpose on earth would be? Jesus fulfilled exactly what the Lord had set him out to do. Oh, and in the Old Testament it is stated that Jesus was to be the last of the prophets sent by God. Which, if u choose to believe it, kind of places Mohammed in an awkward position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)