Does religion affect your view on a potential partner? (1 Viewer)

Does religion affect your view on a potential partner?

• Yup

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • Nup

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • It doesn't matter as long as they don't try to convert me

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other - discuss

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

MysteryGenius

HSC
I've noticed that many of my atheist friends tend to avoid religious partners, and vise-versa. So I was wondering what you guys think...

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Religious affiliation is not important in the slightest in a relationship until children are involved.

A religious parent would want their child to have the same religious beliefs as them. An atheist parent would have to just say "let them decide for themselves" and the child would be an atheist anyway. Religious faith is only ever branded into an individual from a young age, so if a child doesn't mature with hatred and malice being poured into their brain, they won't develop it on their own.

On a personal level, this is why I wouldn't accept a religious partner.

Other than that, the people you know are children and immature about others' beliefs and opinions I would think.

HSC
Uni Grad
Same as lolsmith if they're just a ~typical religious person~ (broad definition but whatever), if they are rather active about it though I couldn't stand that shit for 1 second.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I would find it impossible to co-exist with an athiest in a serious relationship because they obviously don't share the same beliefs as me. I agree with the above, when kids are involved things get messy and that's not really an ideal situation for me.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
I'd go out with any religion except an agnostic.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I am a fire and brimstone athiest and my gf is Jain - I told her our kids would be eating meat or there will be no kids.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm not too fussed about religion so long as they don't try to convert me or instill their views on me.

The school I went to we had a lot of students that used to disrupt our evolution lessons in science for the SC. Most of those type of people I can't stand because I don't get up and disrupt their EXO DAYS or their scripture classes. I had a bestfriend that is a hillsonger, and all the hillsong people pressured her to never contact us again because my other friend and I aren't Christian. We haven't had contact with her since year 12 2008.

I live in the bible belt and most religious people I know are really nice helpful people.

Religion only bugs me when it influences legislation, public schooling policies and when people try to force it upon you.

I do not date religious people simply because I am looking for a mate and I don't want my children raised to be religous.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
That being said, if my child chooses to be religious at a considerable age I will have no qualms with it.

MysteryGenius

HSC
yeah pretty much everything changes when kids become involved >.<
and Lolsmith, I totally agree with what you said but just because someone isn't pushed to become religious at a young age doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a chance they may choose to convert later on in life, and not all religious people are hateful butt munchers- some even change for the better :)

I'm a baptized catholic and I can't stand the hardcore religious folk who think it's alright to tell every atheist, homosexual, etc that they're going to hell and whatnot. I don't necessarily agree with everything the church says (esp the anti gay and abortion stuffs) and I would chose evolution over creationism any day, however I believe that something had control over how and when these events occurred.

Anyways, my point is- it's kinda funny how many people are surprised when they find out I am catholic but it's also kinda sad how many people are put off by the idea that i do believe that there is a god of some sort. I can't help but get a bit frustrated at how many people assume that i'm super religious just because I am a baptized catholic (and that's definitely not the case)

I would never ever force my opinions onto someone else and it kinda sucks that people would assume that every single religious person does so. Although I wouldn't exactly classify myself as religious but still.

When a guy I was kinda with for a while found out, he literally said 'err.. yeaahhh, you see... i don't know about that...' and it shocked and upset me to find just how narrow minded and immature he really was, but I'm glad I did find out then instead of later..
He's an atheist and would forever be complaining about how stupid religious people are and each and every single time I'd tell him shut up and respect their decision.
I don't understand how that simple request could have been so difficult...

I don't care about what religion my partner may or may not follow, that's their business and I'll be happy just as long as they don't shove it in anyone's face, especially mine.

Ugh, I need sleep

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah pretty much everything changes when kids become involved >.<
and Lolsmith, I totally agree with what you said but just because someone isn't pushed to become religious at a young age doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a chance they may choose to convert later on in life, and not all religious people are hateful butt munchers- some even change for the better :)

I'm a baptized catholic and I can't stand the hardcore religious folk who think it's alright to tell every atheist, homosexual, etc that they're going to hell and whatnot. I don't necessarily agree with everything the church says (esp the anti gay and abortion stuffs) and I would chose evolution over creationism any day, however I believe that something had control over how and when these events occurred.

Anyways, my point is- it's kinda funny how many people are surprised when they find out I am catholic but it's also kinda sad how many people are put off by the idea that i do believe that there is a god of some sort. I can't help but get a bit frustrated at how many people assume that i'm super religious just because I am a baptized catholic (and that's definitely not the case)

I would never ever force my opinions onto someone else and it kinda sucks that people would assume that every single religious person does so. Although I wouldn't exactly classify myself as religious but still.

When a guy I was kinda with for a while found out, he literally said 'err.. yeaahhh, you see... i don't know about that...' and it shocked and upset me to find just how narrow minded and immature he really was, but I'm glad I did find out then instead of later..
He's an atheist and would forever be complaining about how stupid religious people are and each and every single time I'd tell him shut up and respect their decision.
I don't understand how that simple request could have been so difficult...

I don't care about what religion my partner may or may not follow, that's their business and I'll be happy just as long as they don't shove it in anyone's face, especially mine.

Ugh, I need sleep
That guy sounds like a bit of a douche aye.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
just because someone isn't pushed to become religious at a young age doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a chance they may choose to convert later on in life
What I was trying to say is that people don't just dream up Christianity or Catholicism unless someone's told them about it/tried to get them onto it. In the modern world where science and reason are usually pretty important, there is little room for blind faith in something that is not logical or based in reality, unless you've already been conditioned to think otherwise (ie: when you're a child and unable to actually think about what's being told to you (which is pretty bullshit, tbh)).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
couldn't date a religious person, i'd just be too curious as to why and not ever be satisfied with their answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)