Drinking age to rise to 21 (due to road toll) (1 Viewer)

hsb39

HSC
Frankly, I have nothing wrong with the increase of the drinking age to 21. I cannot understand why many individuals consider drinking and smoking to be a rite of passage into adulthood.

And for all of you who oppose the idea, it really shows what kind of family you've been brought up in and I honestly do feel sorry for you.
Or we're being realistic. I don't drink. I am VERY rare. And I am 16. People simply aren't worried about drinking laws, it will be a waste of time and money, and also I do believe that it is impeding on the rights of people. Why can't someone who is legally respected as an adult be treated like one. They don't need to be babysat by the government for an extra 3 years.

5233andy

HSC
Or we're being realistic. I don't drink. I am VERY rare. And I am 16. People simply aren't worried about drinking laws, it will be a waste of time and money, and also I do believe that it is impeding on the rights of people. Why can't someone who is legally respected as an adult be treated like one. They don't need to be babysat by the government for an extra 3 years.
Well, if the law was able to save just one life, then it's absolutely worthwhile.

I'm 18 and I have never drunk. When it comes to drinking, there will be a time when it will come, but at this point in time, it is strictly unnecessary.

5233andy

HSC
Seriously, it all comes down to this:

If and when you do have children, more than likely in their teens, when they have made the decision to drink, are you going to support them? Are you going to verbally tell them that it is acceptable to binge drink?

Any sane and civilised person would have a close think about this. For those who have stood in opposition to my thoughts, the reality is that sooner or later, you will come to terms with the effects of alcohol and understand that the government is not trying to impose a draconian law, but rather, they actually value the lives of the young.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

If and when you do have children, more than likely in their teens, when they have made the decision to drink, are you going to support them? Are you going to verbally tell them that it is acceptable to binge drink?

Any sane and civilised person would have a close think about this. For those who have stood in opposition to my thoughts, the reality is that sooner or later, you will come to terms with the effects of alcohol and understand that the government is not trying to impose a draconian law, but rather, they actually value the lives of the young.
Hitler didn't drink. I'm thinking we've got a Nazi on our hands here...

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If I had kids I would tell them to stay away from dangerous binge drinking, and instead encourage them to protect their health by supplying them with MDMA, cannabis and amphetamines.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC

But seriously, not everyone holds those views. What right do the government have to say i can't have a drink. Drinking under 18 is illegal. drinking and driving is illegal. Why are they making a law to prevent the minority from breaking a different law?

I'm an educated adult. i know the risks of my drinking, and i look to minimise them. Why should i have this right taken away because some idiot drinks and decides to jump behind the wheel?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Well, if the law was able to save just one life, then it's absolutely worthwhile.

I'm 18 and I have never drunk. When it comes to drinking, there will be a time when it will come, but at this point in time, it is strictly unnecessary.
you are clearly ignorant.
If people drink underage, they do it in environments in which people can not stop them drinking when they have had too much. When 18 year olds drink it generally happen's in pub's and club's where once they are intoxicated it becomes harder to get more.

hotdimsim

HSC
just don't vote for labor? I sure as as hell won't
This is an issue because certain members of society deem it to be. If any other government was in power then they would be faced with the same question. Who is to say that if Mr Tony 'moral arbiter' Abbott was posed the same issue, he wouldnt also say the same thing.

Vote based on proposed and current policy, not what someones pc response is to such a pc subject.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
Government doesn't value the youth, they value the money they'll be making in the future.

If the drinking age is raised to 21, it would have little impact on the group it should be targeting. All it would do is instead of having people aged 18-20 drinking in pubs, they'll drink at home, at parties and/or in the streets. Legislation with a focus on punishment is not going to work on the intended group.

steph xx

HSC
there is already a tremendous amount of underage drinking in place now - even with the legal age 18.

raising the drinking age won't deter young people from drinking, they will always find a way. the sensible thing to do would be to put more road/driving laws in place.

chuha

HSC
N/A
there is already a tremendous amount of underage drinking in place now - even with the legal age 18.

raising the drinking age won't deter young people from drinking, they will always find a way. the sensible thing to do would be to put more road/driving laws in place.
Defs true.

Altho the new rule doesn't really bother me, cuz i don't drink :)

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC

or....Prohibition :D

steph xx

HSC
there could never be enough control to ensure that no one under the age of 21 drinks.

unless you're suggesting abolishing alcohol completely? that would never happen.

HSC
Uni Grad
My post was irrespective to whether you were joking or not btw, more in response to steph if anything.

But not really in response to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)