drinking water (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hey i was wondering if anyone actually drinks two litres of water a day. isnt that how much ur supposed to drink every day? :confused:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i drink more than 2 litres of water per day.

bad side is it makes u go to the toilet all the time -_-
and imean, waking up in the middle of the night and going to the toilet... flipside is just going in ur bed and then having the warmth warm u up in this cold winter

O:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I haven't measured it so I am not sure about the exact amount. It also depends on the day.

Um... I would probably drink 1-2 litres a day (roughly about).

boris

Banned
HSC
You should all refer to my post in a previous thread.

It was regarding water intake and skin, but it's relevent to this.

boris said:
Re: What should i eat/do to reduce the wrinkles/dry skin
Quote:
The actual amount of liquid water (from drinks) that an individual needs depends on their age, gender, physical activity, physiological condition or illness and the temperature and humidity of their physical environment. A healthy individual may have slightly lower or somewhat higher water intakes without harm by varying their urine output. The recommended amounts are somewhat higher (1.0-1.5 mL/kcal) than the average intakes, being about 3.0 L for men and 2.2 L for women (rising to 2.3 L if pregnant or 3.1 L if lactating) [962]l. These higher levels of water intake seem to reduce the occurrences of kidney stones, gall stones and some cancers and may be otherwise beneficial
It is also a commonly known fact that if you wait until you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Therefore it is recommended that you drink smaller, yet frequent amounts of water or other fluids (these include coffee and sports drinks as the diuretic effect of coffee has been proven to be negligible, but side effects from excess caffeine consumption usually outweigh the benefits of drinking coffee as a source of hydration).
Quote:
In a recent study, evidence indicated that consuming a moderate level of caffeine results in a mild increase of urine production. Although this diuresis may or may not be significantly greater than a control fluid with no caffeine, there is no evidence to suggest that moderate caffeine intake
(_456 mg) induces chronic dehydration or negatively affects exercise performance, temperature regulation, or circulatory strain in a hot environment (3).
So kids, I really should have qualified that drinking 1.5 litres of water can also be inclusive of coffee, coke or other caffeinated beverages that are often considered to have a diuretic effect. Read though that I am not suggesting you live off a diet consisting solely of these products.

Quote:
In 2005, the Dietary Reference Intake guideline for water was published. The Adequate Intake (AI) for total water intake in young men and women (ages 19 to 30 years) is 3.7 L and 2.7 L per day, respectively. Fluids (drinking water and beverages) provided 3.0 L (101 fluid oz; _13 cups) and 2.2 L (74 fluid oz; _9 cups) per day for 19- to 30-year-old men and women, respectively.
This source comes from the American Dietetic Association, Volume 9 Issue 11. I can’t post a direct link because I’ve sourced it through CSU’s database and only CSU students have access, but now that you have the volume and the issue you could probably find it hosted somewhere else.

Other reasons for adequate hydration include;
- adequate hydration is important and may improve the results of antimicrobial therapy in UTI (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2003) 57, Suppl 2, S52–S58)

Not being adequately hydrated also has adverse psychosomatic affects. Let me again reiterate that waiting until you are thirsty means that the process of dehydration has already began. It is irresponsible to promote the idea that it’s fine to only drink when thirsty.

Quote:
Mental and psychomotor processing deterioration and the dynamics of its onset during dehydration are of great practical importance but are still not completely understood. Deteriorated mental and psychomotor processing could endanger performance of tasks that require high precision, are performed under forced regime and rhythm, permit no mistakes, or involve sophisticated, expensive, or dangerous equipment. (Croat Med J. 2006 December; 47(6): 855–861. )

I also stumbled upon this little study, read the entire slab right to the end.
Quote:
It is generally stated that drinking plenty of water has a positive influence on skin condition. However, there is no published scientific study that has investigated this matter. The aim of our exploratory `before-after' study was to evaluate the in vivo influence of drinking more than 2 L of mineral water or ordinary tap water per day on skin physiology. Ninety-three healthy subjects were included in our prospective study. After an initial run-in phase of 2 weeks to monitor individual drinking habits, subjects had to drink 2.25 L day−1 of either mineral water (n = 53) or tap water (n = 40) for 4 weeks. Bioengineering in vivo measurements on the volar forearm included sonographic evaluation of skin thickness and density, determination of skin surface pH, assessment of skin surface morphology, and measurement of finger circumference. Eighty-six subjects completed the study. In the mineral water group measurements revealed a statistically significant decrease in skin density. Skin thickness increased slightly, albeit not at a statistically significant level. However, when separately analysing those individuals from the mineral water group, who had routinely drunken comparably little before the start of the study, their skin thickness increased at a statistically significant level. Skin surface pH remained almost unchanged in the physiologically optimal range. In the tap water group, skin density increased significantly, while skin thickness decreased significantly. Skin surface pH decreased at a statistically significant level. While in the mineral water group finger circumference decreased significantly, measurements in the tap water group revealed a statistically significant increase. Objective skin surface morphology did not change in any group. In summary, drinking more than 2 L of water per day can have a significant impact on skin physiology. The exact effects within the skin seem to differ depending on the nature of the water ingested. Randomized, controlled, double-blind follow-up trials are warranted to confirm the findings of our exploratory pilot study.( International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 29(2):131-138 )

- Being dehydrated can change the appearance of your skin. In mild dehydration your skin may appear flushed, dry and loose with a loss of elasticity and may look older than it is.

So I would say that in conclusion, it is completely realistic to believe that drinking 1.5 litres of water (or the amounts recommended) does have an affect on your skin and your overall health, and that these Mickey Mouse studies re: 8x8 haven’t come up with anything that I think overrules these studies.

crystalvarany

HSC
I used to have this habit of sitting infront of the computer/netting like i am now, but id leave a 1Litre jug of water there and a cup, in half an hour it would be gone without noticing . then i ended up always drinking heaps of water like 6L a day and pissing every half an hour ! LITERALLY, but then u get full on water so i ddnt eat much.

Nat3skiz

HSC
barbecuedflava said:
hey i was wondering if anyone actually drinks two litres of water a day. isnt that how much ur supposed to drink every day? :confused:
on average yeh, usually more if exercise is involved.

crystalvarany said:
I used to have this habit of sitting infront of the computer/netting like i am now, but id leave a 1Litre jug of water there and a cup, in half an hour it would be gone without noticing . then i ended up always drinking heaps of water like 6L a day and pissing every half an hour ! LITERALLY, but then u get full on water so i ddnt eat much.
full on water? i'm confused as to how that works.
can anyone explain?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
on average yeh, usually more if exercise is involved.

full on water? i'm confused as to how that works.
can anyone explain?
cos the water causes fluid expansion of the stomach.. this gives u a bloated feeling and minimises the desire to eat cos u feel distended..

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I usually drink 2 pump bottles a day, so 1.5L, plus any tea, OJ, milk etc.

Unless I go to the gym, then it'll be maybe 3 or 4 bottles.

It's hard to drink enough water in winter (even though it's dry) because it's cold. It's also hard to drink enough water when you're out and about, because you need to pee so often.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Lemme see...

Crunching numbers, i drink about 600ml x 5-6 times, so lets say = 3-3.5Litres?

Ya know, thats just during the day, if i wake up at night, i down atleast a glass, maybe two... which is about 1/2 a litre more.

:)

Also, these numbers are not counting water drunk while at the gym, if i am at the gym that day.

So, i drink around a Gallon a day.

rozymisty

HSC
I hardly drink anything, coz I pee very often. I have been tested for diabetes but that was a no, thank god. But i do try and remind myself to have a few mouthfuls from time to time, especially when im at work, I will just take a breather and jsut have a few mouthfulls of water.

If you drink stacks of water, you will get really bad kidney and liveer problems and heart palpitations i think too, something to do with diluting all the sodium or potassium in your body.
Saying that, we had a patient who drank like 10x600ml bottles a day and that was natural to him. The first time i looked after him, i was like whaaaa...are you sure...and his mum said diabetic? no he's been tested lol.

Drinking water 30mins before you eat takes up a bit of room and makes you think you are more full. Also most of hte time you may just be thirsty rather than hungry.

All this talk is making me thirsty hahahaha

boris

Banned
HSC
rozymisty said:
I hardly drink anything, coz I pee very often. I have been tested for diabetes but that was a no, thank god. But i do try and remind myself to have a few mouthfuls from time to time, especially when im at work, I will just take a breather and jsut have a few mouthfulls of water.

If you drink stacks of water, you will get really bad kidney and liveer problems and heart palpitations i think too, something to do with diluting all the sodium or potassium in your body.
Saying that, we had a patient who drank like 10x600ml bottles a day and that was natural to him. The first time i looked after him, i was like whaaaa...are you sure...and his mum said diabetic? no he's been tested lol.

Drinking water 30mins before you eat takes up a bit of room and makes you think you are more full. Also most of hte time you may just be thirsty rather than hungry.

All this talk is making me thirsty hahahaha
um

the only time you're going to cause prolonged liver or kidney damage is when you drink something ridiculous like 5litres of water without exerting yourself on a regular basis

id be more worried about hypotonicity

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah.... well u mean hypotonicity?..... but like unless u dun eats ,,, its very hard.. to have sodium or potassium problems.. unless u have renal probs..

u need lik 8L/ hr to die from hypotonicity :)

boris

Banned
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah.... well u mean hypotonicity?..... but like unless u dun eats ,,, its very hard.. to have sodium or potassium problems.. unless u have renal probs..

u need lik 8L/ hr to die from hypotonicity :)
nah there have been recordings of less than that, especially in xtc overdoses?? :confused:

kids panic and think they're burning up and drink a shitload of water.

fucktard katie, crenation is from hypertonicity.

im going to bed after i cut myself :(

Last edited:

hairspray

HSC
I read somewhere that you had to drink 1L for every 20kg that you weigh.

I only drink like 1L of water each day which is bad considering i weight 48kg. But i drink other fluids as well like coffee and fruit juice =)

Nat3skiz

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
cos the water causes fluid expansion of the stomach.. this gives u a bloated feeling and minimises the desire to eat cos u feel distended..
thanks i never knew how that worked.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I thought water just took up space in your stomach, thus making you feel full.

Nat3skiz

HSC
scarybunny said:
I thought water just took up space in your stomach, thus making you feel full.
well when you drink alot it generally passes through pretty quick.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
still the pyloric valve rate limits a bit.. so its not tat quick.. its lik 30mins -1.5 hrs..

food is 2-4 hrs before its even started to be absorbed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)