Dux Calculations (1 Viewer)

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
How does everyone's school calculate their dux?

Mine does a 'rank in subject' system, half points for 1 unit subjects

hayabusaboston

HSC
How does everyone's school calculate their dux?

Mine does a 'rank in subject' system, half points for 1 unit subjects
We have "who gets the highest ATAR"
Its very unorthodox, I mean, getting the highest ATAR doesnt mean anything at all, but I guess thats the way my school does it.

iBibah

HSC
We have "who gets the highest ATAR"
Its very unorthodox, I mean, getting the highest ATAR doesnt mean anything at all, but I guess thats the way my school does it.
How else do you suggest they do it? It's way better than taking ranks as ranks don't account for difficulty of subject and strength of cohort for that subject. ATAR at least aligns and scales.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
We have an in-school one where the most ranks first are taken into account as well as ranks 2 and 3. We have this for a "top 10"

BUT

The school can pick out the classes where the smarter people are (obvi the people ranking first in a few things, second in a couple others are going to be first, BUT the people ranking 4th in this subject would be more-likely to get a higher ATAR than people ranking 2nd in a subject with no strong competition).

So basically we have one after ATARs on how good your ATAR was, and one before HSC exams based on ATAR-predictions, but the school only gives ATAR predictions to people who are high achievers and explicitly ask for one (e.g. for med entry).

Fun fact, my school screwed up the in-school method my year. Ranking my friend 2nd with a 98.5ish estimate (1st in Physics, English (Standard), PDHPE, and Catholic Studies (non-ATAR lol))
He got ~89.
~lol~

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I think my school does it by internal rankings, which is quite stupid. In yr11, I was one off dux QQ. Then everyone at school began trying in year 12.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
How else do you suggest they do it? It's way better than taking ranks as ranks don't account for difficulty of subject and strength of cohort for that subject. ATAR at least aligns and scales.
Omg thank you so much. I've been beaten for dux by a kid that does ancient, cafs and food tech. Wtf. Atar would be so much better.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Omg thank you so much. I've been beaten for dux by a kid that does ancient, cafs and food tech. Wtf. Atar would be so much better.
There are people in my school who do subjects that have 1-3 people in them. lol.

iBibah

HSC
Don't stress, you'll be laughing about wanting dux real soon.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
There are people in my school who do subjects that have 1-3 people in them. lol.
For those subjects, at my school, they only gave recognition to those ranked first, and the only case of this was EE1.

Focus is Key

HSC
We have two seperate major awards. The first is the 'Most Outstanding Student' award which is given basically to the person who gets the most firsts and seconds (I don't know if other ranks are considered). It is given before the ATAR results are released.

The actual 'dux' award is given the following year in December to the student with the highest ATAR. They have to wait like a whole year to get their award lol.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
We have two seperate major awards. The first is the 'Most Outstanding Student' award which is given basically to the person who gets the most firsts and seconds (I don't know if other ranks are considered). It is given before the ATAR results are released.

The actual 'dux' award is given the following year in December to the student with the highest ATAR. They have to wait like a whole year to get their award lol.
Nice subject rankings. School rank?

Focus is Key

HSC
Thanks, you too. You go to a selective don't you? School rank fluctuates, around 300-400 usually lol. But I'm happy with the ranks, but I fell to 2nd in MX1 and I didn't update it lol :)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
ObliviousNinja goes to a selective school?

Ha

ha

ha

Lina3

HSC

Aww wish my school did that. It would have been me then XD

Our dux is just whoever gets the highest ATAR, which I suppose is the best way to do it.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon doing it by ATAR is fair, cause its kinda linked to you're internal school rankings as well.

Lina3

HSC
I reckon doing it by ATAR is fair, cause its kinda linked to you're internal school rankings as well.
Yes, and it takes into account the difficulties of the subjects as well. As much as I'd love to be dux, I know that the guy who is predicted dux does much higher scaling courses than me, even though he is getting 'only' 4 firsts/seconds. Thus, it wouldn't be fair if I beat him for it just by virtue of doing easier subjects with smaller cohorts.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
do i have a chance of becoming dux

i am ranked 1st in physics and 3/4 u maths but the other guy is like first in 2/3/4 english and ancient/mod/ext history, in short he is a machine at humanities but is failing general.

so what happens then. obviously maths is better so do i get it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)