Dux Calculations (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
do i have a chance of becoming dux

i am ranked 1st in physics and 3/4 u maths but the other guy is like first in 2/3/4 english and ancient/mod/ext history, in short he is a machine at humanities but is failing general.

so what happens then. obviously maths is better so do i get it?
I think it depends on two things: how you go in the externals and what your other ranks are.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
do i have a chance of becoming dux

i am ranked 1st in physics and 3/4 u maths but the other guy is like first in 2/3/4 english and ancient/mod/ext history, in short he is a machine at humanities but is failing general.

so what happens then. obviously maths is better so do i get it?
If its based purely on ATAR, remember his general won't count towards his ATAR cause of his 12 units.

Focus is Key

HSC
Who do you reckon would get internal dux in this situation, Student A or B if it's done by firsts and seconds?

Student A:
1st in English Advanced
1st in English Extension 1
1st in Legal Studies
1st in Ancient History
1st in CAFS
2nd in Mathematics
2nd in Maths Extension 1

Student B:
1st in English Extension 2
1st in Mathematics
1st in Maths Ext 1
1st in Music
2nd in English Advanced
2nd in English Extension 1
2nd in CAFS

madharris

HSC
N/A
HSC Dux: depends on ranks
IB Dux: Depends on the estimate number of 7's

School Dux: Highest Atar/Atar equivalent

Lina3

HSC
Who do you reckon would get internal dux in this situation, Student A or B if it's done by firsts and seconds?

Student A:
1st in English Advanced
1st in English Extension 1
1st in Legal Studies
1st in Ancient History
1st in CAFS
2nd in Mathematics
2nd in Maths Extension 1

Student B:
1st in English Extension 2
1st in Mathematics
1st in Maths Ext 1
1st in Music
2nd in English Advanced
2nd in English Extension 1
2nd in CAFS
I'd say student A would get it if its calculated that way.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
internal dux (before atar) is always determined by number of 1st ranks

Makematics

HSC
hmmm but the school doesnt actually know your atar, does it??? well my school doesnt anyways, and it's up to us to tell the school our atars after theyre released. Our school's dux is calculated from the aggregate of the HSC marks from a student's best 10 units (so it'll be a score out of 500), although it does NOT necessarily have to include english. strangely the people who have phys/chem/mx1/mx2/eco combo never get dux though :p I think our way is pretty fair tbh.

iBibah

HSC
So cant people lie and slightly boost their atar to get dux (some ppl would do it im pre sure)
nah it would need to be proven, plus if their hsc marks arent that good they cant claim a great atar.

Makematics

HSC
What do you mean exactly? As in do they publish it or do they just note your ATAR down for safe-keeping?

Fairly sure they can't publish it.
Yep i mean do they note it down so that they can look at trends in atars and look at which subjects scale better, etc. so that they can improve student atars in the future.

hayabusaboston

HSC
How else do you suggest they do it? It's way better than taking ranks as ranks don't account for difficulty of subject and strength of cohort for that subject. ATAR at least aligns and scales.
I was being sarcastic lol

And I thought taking ATAR was the universal system for getting dux, looks like I was wrong. Such an interesting array of weird and wonderful methods haha.

Overall ATAR takes EVERYTHING into account, difficulty of each subject, scaling etc, and so in my opinion it is the best method for choosing a dux. 1 person hospitality classes etc dont end up screwing things up.

Speaking of 1 person hospitality classes etc, my school is so discriminatory its actually hilarious, but not like race etc I mean academically, eg we used to have a yr 7-12 system where the person with the highest ranks for all subjects gets an Öutstanding student"award, male and female, but then all of a sudden they abolished it for yr 11 and 12, and I asked my principal why and he's like all quiet and whispers to me "Well we found that there were kids who were doing TAFE courses etc and were the only people in their class, and really, its silly to make them the most outstanding student when we have obviously far more academically capable students in your grade."
HAHA omg I was laughing so hard for the rest of that day :p

And realise, are you talking about publishing ATAR's when they come out?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)