• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Earth Hour should be grounded (1 Viewer)

Do you support it? + (Global Warming eco-warriors?)

• Yes because I'm Kwayera

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • no

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • :)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

A LOT of hot air is going into tomorrow's Earth Hour, and I don't just mean the hot-air balloon sent up last Saturday to promote this hour-long switch-off.
But, good God, why did the organisers choose that way to promote a campaign to make us cut our gases?

Sending up the 32-metre light globe-shaped billboard burned so much gas - and emitted so much carbon dioxide - that we'll have to switch off 10,000 lights tomorrow just to make it up.

Perfect, then, that it landed in the Peanut Farm Reserve, and equally symbolic that The Age gave this wildly inappropriate stunt fawning coverage.

Why? Because Earth Hour proves that what threatens us is not so much global warming, but lousy journalism.

Asking us to turn off lights between 8pm and 9pm is a crusade by The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. And already one light is staying on and flashing alarm.

You see, it's always a danger when newspapers take up campaigns. Suddenly they get tempted to report only stuff that pushes their agenda, and to ignore facts that don't.

The Age and SMH - already giddy with global warming evangelism - perfectly illustrate this danger.

Earth Hour started last year in Sydney, where the SMH campaigned furiously to get everyone in the CBD to turn off their lights for an hour after dusk to "raise awareness" that our gases from electricity use were allegedly warming the world to hell.

But it was a flop - lights blazed on - yet you won't read that in The Age or SMH.

On the contrary, the SMH's Sunday paper, The Sun-Herald, instead ran "before and after" pictures purporting to show Sydney plunge from a blaze of light into a great gloom.

But the dark "after" picture turned out to have been badly under-exposed compared with the "before" picture.

And the "before" picture turned out to have been taken not just before Earth Hour but two days earlier, when, as Media Watch reported, "weather conditions helped make the whole scene look much lighter".

Nothing dishonest was done, of course.

It's just that these two "mistakes" suited the paper's agenda.

It didn't stop there. Check how The Age now routinely reports last year's "success":

"Last year's first Earth Hour had as many as 2.2 million Sydneysiders and 2000 businesses turn off their lights, causing a 10 per cent drop in the city's energy use."

Really?

First, it's mad to think half of Sydney's population switched off for a stunt centred on the CBD.

This figure is actually a huge extrapolation from a poll of fewer than 800 guilty people who claimed they'd maybe switched off something or other during the hour.

Second, the claimed dip in power was just for the CBD, not all Sydney. Third, the 10 per cent cut claimed for the CBD is itself a gross exaggeration.

A cut so tiny is trivial - equal to taking six cars off the road for a year.

But David Solomon, a finance PhD student at the Chicago University's graduate school of business, crunched Sydney's power figures to exclude seasonal and daily fluctuations, and concluded there was actually close to no power saving at all.

"When a fixed effect is included for the whole day, the drop in electricity use during Earth Hour is statistically indistinguishable from zero."

So why does The Age exaggerate?

Because it's on a campaign to persuade, not inform, which is why it also won't report other awkward facts.

Here's one: global temperatures have fallen since 1998.

Indeed, all four big global temperature tracking outlets, including Britain's Hadley Centre, now say global temperatures over the past year have dropped sharply.

NASA adds that the oceans have also cooled for the past few years.

Why doesn't The Age tell its readers this, instead of scaring them with reports, and balloons, that are just hot air?

That's crusading, not reporting.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23444989-5007146,00.html

A must read, opinions?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Indeed, all four big global temperature tracking outlets, including Britain's Hadley Centre, now say global temperatures over the past year have dropped sharply.
Hmm. I wonder if Andrew Bolt could be taking something an expert/organisation said completely out of context in order to suggest that they support his point of view when they actually support the point of view of the people he's attacking?

No, that couldn't be it.
A significant drop in global average temperature in January 2008 has led to speculation that the Earth is experiencing a period of sustained cooling.

A brief look at the graph depicting January global average temperatures reveals large variability in our climate year-on-year, but with an underlying rise over the longer term almost certainly caused by man-made emissions of greenhouse gases.

There are a number of natural factors contributing to so-called interannual variability, the single most important being the El Niño Southern Oscillation or ENSO. The global climate is currently being influenced by the cold phase of this oscillation, known as La Niña.

The current La Niña began to develop in early 2007, having a significant cooling effect on the global average temperature. Despite this, 2007 was one of the ten warmest years since global records began in 1850 with a temperature some 0.4 °C above average.

The La Niña has strengthened further during early 2008 and is now the strongest since 1988/89, significantly contributing to a lower January temperature in 2008 compared to recent years. In addition, global average temperature has been influenced by very cold land temperatures in parts of the northern hemisphere and extensive snow cover.

However, once La Niña declines, it is very likely that renewed warming will occur as was the case when the Earth emerged from the strong La Niña events of 1989 and 1999.

January 2008 may seem particularly cold compared to January 2007 — the warmest January on record and largely due to the warming phenomenon El Niño — but this merely demonstrates the year-to-year natural variations in our climate.

In future, while the trend in global temperatures is predicted to remain upwards, we will continue to see inherent variability of this kind.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadleycentre/news/cc_global_variability.html

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Aplus

HSC
N/A
What I don't get is, don't people turn everything off when they go to sleep anyway? So 1 hour isn't going to be much since people save more when they go to sleep.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah I turn off my lights and crap when I'm not using them anyway. Silly campaign from the Herald with that balloon though.

Nat3skiz

HSC
Aplus said:
What I don't get is, don't people turn everything off when they go to sleep anyway? So 1 hour isn't going to be much since people save more when they go to sleep.
as opposed to most of the civilised world turning their lights off?

bennyhosking

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
as opposed to most of the civilised world turning their lights off?

thats such a good point but maybe we will save 1 hour more then normal

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
aliyosufi said:
Just because we dont use the electricity does not mean that the electricity providers wont produce it. Sydney produces a set amount of electricity supply everyday and it will remain at that level regardless weather we use it or not so by undertaking in Earth Hour we are not actually saving any energy but wasting it.

ps. i seriously doubt that 1 hour will change anything
every little bit helps, you got to start somewhere. if everyone has that same attitude then nothing will change, will it?

Gay Captain

HSC
advanced sam said:
every little bit helps, you got to start somewhere. if everyone has that same attitude then nothing will change, will it?
i'm pretty sure his point was that this little bit doesn't help

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't think it has anything to do with saving energy. It is just about raising awareness about 'global warming' which everyone already knows about anyway... so it is still pointless but not for the reason the article suggests.

boris

Banned
HSC
fuck the establishment
im turning on every single powerpoint and light in the house AND THEN ... ill burn some plastic bags

TAKE THAT PLANET!

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
boris said:
fuck the establishment
im turning on every single powerpoint and light in the house AND THEN ... ill burn some plastic bags

TAKE THAT PLANET!
haha

boris

Banned
HSC
it'll use more electricity to turn everything back on again

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
aliyosufi said:
if you turn your lights off during earth hour you will not save electricity but i fact waste it
that is my point.
just because you dont use it doesnt mean it wont be produced and if everyone in the world turned off their lights for 1 hour it will not make a diffrence to global warming
in fact humans are he biggest contributors to co2 in the atmosphere through constant exhaling of carbon dioxide, we contribute 90% of all co2 by breathing, and 95% of all greenhouse gases are released by nature(including human exhaling), manmade greenhouse gas accounts for a tiny proportion of all greenhouse gas so if you think turning your lights of for ONE hour makes a diffrence well have fun doing nothing for an hour.
ps. GLOBAL WARMING IS INEVITABLE
I think the general idea is that it creates awareness which hopefully spirals down to create energy production reductions. Seems admirable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)