East Asian Earthquake (1 Viewer)

Spring Sakura

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
hmm all ur points seemed stupid to me

#1) China has a huge gdp.. it is interesting however that they have this much money all of a sudden when their people are so poor... then again it's interesting that they have jet fighters when their people are so poor.

#2) The world has alot more money lol, as for the carrier thing i bet that's pissing off china.. there's now the US above china due to iraq, in the pacific as they always have been and now in the indian ocean because of this lol

#3) I hope that bin ladin thing was a joke....
For someone who's nick name is "not that bright" I believe you're hardly in a position to call anything stupid.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Let us all pray for the 150,000 or so people killed in the disaster ...... and let us keep this thread for prayer and news rather than arguments ^

doggogo8

HSC
Oh boy, insulting other countreis is not what I would expect...

Hello... this is a disaster and all ur talking about is politics here!!!!!
And u should GET SOME SENSE OUT OF UR HEAD to start with, before u say taiwan has donated not much of a money go and check out the figures. (ur comment is totally a lot of bullshiting)
And , yeah also who the hell do u think will start the war? Taiwan or China? Let's see which country has always been the bully in the history books? THERE IS TOO MUCH THINGS THAT CHINA DID TO SUPPRESS TAIWAN !!! SO, DUDE just SHUT UR STUPID MOUTH, MAN!!!!!!!!!
This is a disaster and your talking about politics, give me a break.

Komaticom said:
Lol I was actually expecting someone to blast me.

Regarding nations' contributions, it's interesting that China has donated a significant amount and Taiwan hasn't. If China continues to donate in the 9 digits, and Taiwan starts a war, China's screwed.

Also, the magnitude of contribution for this disaster relief will only mean that the next major disaster (which doesn't have to be tsunami) will suffer because so many nations have already contributed so much for this disaster, and will probably maintain their donations for the long-term reconstruction. There is only oh so much money in the world.

Hm, bin Laden should run to a new hidy hole while the US focus is on this disaster.

doggogo8

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
Let us all pray for the 150,000 or so people killed in the disaster ...... and let us keep this thread for prayer and news rather than arguments ^
Thanks a lot. Let's all pray that the number of dead will not rise. Let's hope it never happens to another country again. >"<

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I haven't heard of any european countries giving an aid ... has anyone heard if they have.

Also i heard that the amount that america is providing is equal to how much they spend in Iraq in five minutes.

Also when you initially think of the number 150 000 people ... its staggering ... but in reality ... not meaning to sound harsh or anything ... its not alot considering the tsunami hit 6 or so countries and these countries are densly populated with poor living standards.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Komaticom said:
Isn't Britian chipping in?

Well, taking about a disaster as a disaster isn't productive. Wow, all of a sudden there's documentaries about tsunamis on TV. Excuse my implied lack of senstivitiy, but let's all post comments about grief and anger and talk about how much we donated to UNICEF to help rebuild shattered nations. The media covered that stuff in enough depth.

Taiwan's ready for a brawl anyday. I go for Taiwan, and I'm Chinese.
I'm not a "DUDE".
Don't overdo the exclamation mark.
betrayer to the motherland :p

rama_v

HSC
Lots of European countries are giving aid, Britain is leading with about 95 million or so. I think Japan is the highest contributor now, they have increased aid to over 600 million dollars (its in todays sunday telegraph)...Even East Timor, one of the poorest in the world, donated $50 grand.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
To the people making insensitive and non-related comments in this thread:
please shut the fuck up.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
johnson said:
To the people making insensitive and non-related comments in this thread:
please shut the fuck up.
People? Johnson, I'm the only one (usually it is anyway).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So what do we all think about the aid package?

$1 billion worth of it

something i wrote for another site

http://insight.blogspirit.com <= some might be interested with what those two are trying to do....interesting blog has potential when its past infancy.

Yes, this well is a diplomatic coup for Australia and Howard.

The scale of this aid package is mammoth. If a caculation of the amount per capita is made it ends up being $40 for every Australian citizen. If you look at other countries, with many times the population as Australia we are doing more that our share. For the United States the figure works out at about $1 per citizen.

But, I am concerned that bilateral agreements such as this are overshadowing the role of global institutions such as the United Nations. The UN needs to reasert its relevance on the world stage after the Iraq conflict. I feel it has failed to do this.

On the whole situation in general, well this has just completely saddened me. I have followed it closely, from the moment I saw it break on CNN with the death toll at 50. Over the hours it would increase by thousands sometimes in the space of a few minutes. The scale of this human tragedy is simply overwhelming. Economically, the region should be fast to recover, however, the impact on the people will always remain. But inevitably life goes on.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i think its good they are donating $1 billion
but at the same time i think there are other motives behind it

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mizz_smee said:
i think its good they are donating $1 billion
but at the same time i think there are other motives behind it
Other motives? Like Japs trying to overtake the region or the US trying to appear generous in the eyes of the Islamic community? Debate can rage on for pages and pages if motives becomes the main point of discussion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Other motives?
When the average Australian person gives aid.... are they not doing it to make themselves feel better?

Seriously Australia is just being generous to our neighbour in a way that i feel we always should have been. However there are differences, and these need to be acknowledged... it's good to let the people of Indonesia know tho that we're there for them when they really need us.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
rama_v said:
Lots of European countries are giving aid, Britain is leading with about 95 million or so. I think Japan is the highest contributor now, they have increased aid to over 600 million dollars (its in todays sunday telegraph)...Even East Timor, one of the poorest in the world, donated $50 grand.
why dont u fuckin usa haters have a go at east timor, but u would say they r only small and poor (which is true), but dont u fuckers jump at any chance to express ur hate for usa.......

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
isn't australia only donating $1 billion to Indonesia??? what about the other countries that were effected - why can't they split the $1 billion plus donations received evenually throughout the region. I know indonesia is our neighbour, but still.

Generator

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/01/06/1104832244068.html
By delivering the $1 billion through a joint commission closely overseen by Australian as well as Indonesian ministers and officials, the Australian model best ensures transparency and that taxpayers' funds are not being misallocated.
In other words, it allows greater levels of cooperation between our two governments and guards against widespread corruption. That is only one opinion on the matter, though.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
if i was Bill Gates, i would chuck a few billion in the charity, think about the homeless and 50 Billion damage, as least it would heap a significant contribution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)