Easy jobs to get? (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
wow. look how far you've gotten!
are you being sarcastic cos i honestly can't tell.

what i mean by me working my way up is that i went from a shitty hungry jacks job to a decent retail job (part-time).

im not saying its great but its better than working at hungry jacks for 3 years.

gazzalite751

HSC
Okay, besides all these slandering comments you've been getting. I think it's a pretty normal question that you asked so I don't get why everyone's been blowing you off. But anyway.

I worked at Hungry Jacks for about 6 months and that's the only experience I've ever had working back then and that was in food preparation, but I got my job at Kmart (Coles group) straight away when I applied as customer service/registers and they weren't even looking then. I've worked there for about 9 months now and yeah, it's great. =)

A hint if you're applying for companies like the Woolworths Limited or Coles Group, try to take a leaf out of your own book. You said yourself that you dropped out of work for the HSC. A lot of people think along the same lines as you. Try applying during or close to the HSC period. That's when a lot of people who already work at Woolworths Limited or Coles Group or any large company that are sitting for their HSC tend to drop out and those companies would look for more employees. Definitely apply during the Christmas period as a casual, they often take on people after the Christmas period, who are enthusiastic and hard workers. And spread yourself out. Don't limit yourself to just customer service because that's what you have the most experience in. Definitely look at your options, you won't have much luck getting into DJ's or Myer's. Most of their staff already have a few years/certificates in Hospitality or Customer Service.

If anything listen to what...one person has already said. Max out your times. Do everything you possibly can to get the job like applying for a different department in a store and then transferring to another department. If you have a car, max out your locations for work as well. You'll find that you'll be a lot more successful in making a job if you can offer to drive yourself about 25 minutes away from home to the workplace. Once you get the job, it's all about how good you work. Maybe sacrifice some things that you can sacrifice for about 2-3 months (general probation period) then after that you can drop some work times or shorten availbility times and still keep your job.

And yeah,
That's all I got to say so yeah, hope it helps?.

burger125

HSC
maybe there's more to life than being really really, ridiculously good looking.
whats that supposed to mean? there is obvously more to life than being good looking but if you are good looking may as well give it a crack amiright?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Get your RSA/RCG if you haven't already. It makes it so much easier to get jobs in clubs/pubs and restaurants. A barista and first aid course wouldn't go astray either.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Everyone has to start somewhere, and employers aren't necessarily looking for grades/school marks. They want availability and enthusiasm, having a job right now would be considered a privilege.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
maybe there's more to life than being really really, ridiculously good looking.
Ahhh, good old Zoolander.

To the person who suggested modelling, unless you're genetically blessed enough to fulfill fashion agency requirements, the only modelling one can do which pays a decent amount of money is nude. Otherwise, the industry is flooded with girls who will pose for free for photographers in trade of pictures from the shoot.

That's why a lot of these girls also do promotions, promos pay the bills.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i'm agreed here. If you're just starting out in modelling its not the easiest way to make money unless you are a-mazing.

My partner is a photographer and most of them just go "scouting" to find someone they like rather than going through an agency. Unless its fashion/high end stuff - where they actually need a fabulous model.

08er

HSC
is it harder to get jobs when you're over 18? that has been the experience for me so far

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
18+ has its advantages and disadvantages. It's great for things involving clubs and bars. It's crap for jobs which want cheap labour.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I was essentially in the same situation as you, i obtained a very high UAI , was school vice captain, played high intensity sports and was essentially "sheltered" for most of my young life.

I thought heck, how can someone reject me for a job.

After HSC I applied for over a hundred jobs and rarely got an interview, If i did manage to get an interview i would land the job.

Just keep at it, right now i have a pretty nice job that fits very well with uni, i have to deal with some stupid customers but i don't really mind it now.

Good luck

08er

HSC
18+ has its advantages and disadvantages. It's great for things involving clubs and bars. It's crap for jobs which want cheap labour.
that's true, i only applied to fast food restaurants and have been rejected so far

ktinn

HSC
I didn't really work during the entirety of high school except for some cash in hand stuff during the holidays but after turning 18 i got my RSA and landed a job working in a bottle shop pretty quickly and make $20+ an hour and it fits in really well with my study.

However, if you're after even more money than that i would suggest being a bar maid as you make the same amount per hour + tips which can easy add up to 100+ a night if you look any good.

Last edited:

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Just take on any job you can get, then work up some experience that you can stick on your resume from that and then apply for better ones. I didn't work through year 12, then got a job at Bakers', then one at Grill'd, and now I've got a much better research job because, in all that shitty dish-cleaning and floor-sweeping, I proved I would, ostensibly, do the job that was asked of me and not be a princess about it.

As for getting those less-than-wonderful jobs, just be enthusiastic and talk about how excited you are to work there, given how much you love the product. You love it. SO MUCH. You LOVE to be in a team and think it would be GREAT to be a part of a team that always looks like it is having SO MUCH FUN. Don't lay it on too thick, mind you.

Another tip - go to franchised stores, or anything where there isn't some central control filtering applications. If you can speak directly to the store manager/owner, I think you've got a much better chance at getting an interview and then getting the job.
Also, a lot of places DO hire over 18s, because there needs to be someone senior present to do money stuff or sell alcohol, if the shop does that. There were heaps of over-18s hired during my time at Grill'd.

Last edited:

Kiim2507

HSC
Fast food is defintiely the easiest place
I got a job at KFC, being 18 and having no experience.

But if you don't want to work in fast food (it's not even that bad) get your RSA and apply at pubs. You're a young, pretty female. They will hire you.

artist91

HSC
in all that shitty dish-cleaning and floor-sweeping, I proved I would, ostensibly, do the job that was asked of me and not be a princess about it.
I understand this, but I thought after 3 years of working a shitty job (seedy asian corner store) I have had plenty of time to "prove" myself. Doesn't seem the case. I guess I'm doomed to work another shitty job for the next few years. Fast food here I come.. :mad1:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Promotional agencies will take people with just retail experience... it's a very fun job too. When I was your age I was representing Elizabeth Arden in Myer so you don't have to be over 18 (except for jobs which require an RSA). I would Google for agencies in your area, or do a Seek search under promotions.

Or else work as a glassy in a bar and when you turn 18 get your RSA and whatnot so you can work behind the bar.

Hell, wander around your shopping centre and see if you can drop resumes in at shops...my current job is in fashion retail and it is heaps of fun! I found the local newspapers have LOTS of ads for casual/part timers.

But if you wanna do fast food, then just think of the money and do it :p

Fairytale

HSC
N/A
Yeh, promo jobs are fun and the pay is good. And you get to hang around hotties. And get free stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)