english ext 1... critical, creative or both? (1 Viewer)

unhealthyharold

HSC
if u get lucky, itll be a creative and u can just reuse what u prepared for mod c (that is only if you haven't prepared tho...)

but most people good at eng are praying for a 25mark critical since that is what actually differentiates between a pre-prepared response than writing a good one on the spot
in fairness for extension u can usually tell if it’s preprepared bc it never quite fits the question + it’s super detailed and extensive. Idk just based on ones i’ve read

neptoons

HSC
CANT WAIT TO REGURGITATE THE BONES OF MY STORY I WROTE LAST YEAR

Rattlehead15

HSC
in fairness for extension u can usually tell if it’s preprepared bc it never quite fits the question + it’s super detailed and extensive. Idk just based on ones i’ve read
Im worried about that because I haven't memorised my essay but I've settled in to my arguments by using them so many times that it almost feels like a pre prepared essay.

unhealthyharold

HSC
Im worried about that because I haven't memorised my essay but I've settled in to my arguments by using them so many times that it almost feels like a pre prepared essay.
Nah prepared arguments r usually fine because theyre so much more flexible + u can incorporate the question ez

band6yesplease

HSC
Arguments are adaptable though tbf. I have the same thing, I've memorised paragraph arguments but not a full essay so you can use the argument to manipulate the question. It might end up making ur essay more "nuanced"

band6yesplease

HSC
I did a trial paper today where you had to write about being a foreigner in some dark alleyway in Japan. Something like that would be perfect
Imagine seeing their faces when they read that question hehe. that brings me joy I lowkey hope they do that now (still definitely manifesting an analytical)

Rattlehead15

HSC
Imagine seeing their faces when they read that question hehe. that brings me joy I lowkey hope they do that now (still definitely manifesting an analytical)
It was based on a stimulus and it was one of those 'continue the story' kinds of ones. It felt kinda satisfying doing that as a 15 mark creative after a 10 mark analytical because you could show off what you said about the extract in the analytical by incorporating it in the creative. That makes me want it to be 10 mark analytical / 15 mark creative but with a very specific extract/question.

band6yesplease

HSC
It was based on a stimulus and it was one of those 'continue the story' kinds of ones. It felt kinda satisfying doing that as a 15 mark creative after a 10 mark analytical because you could show off what you said about the extract in the analytical by incorporating it in the creative. That makes me want it to be 10 mark analytical / 15 mark creative but with a very specific extract/question.
but im scared i still won't be able to come up with something.. like how do you get a storyline for yourself after that????

I agree though i love when they give an analytical like a reflection cause thats quick marks. Also when they put a rando analytical at the start that has nothing to do with anything that's good because, again, easy marks

Rattlehead15

HSC
but im scared i still won't be able to come up with something.. like how do you get a storyline for yourself after that????

I agree though i love when they give an analytical like a reflection cause thats quick marks. Also when they put a rando analytical at the start that has nothing to do with anything that's good because, again, easy marks
Usually they make them end on like cliff hangers or leave something vague or unknown to help you 🤣
And yeah the one I did was analytical first about the extracts, then the creative after so the analytical wasn't in response to the creative, just the extracts. So I could write the creative without worrying about needing to reflect on it. Exactly like the 2019 HSC actually.

unhealthyharold

HSC

my go-to method for imaginatives esp extension eng is just. the simplest possible topic but write it really well. disregard literally everything from pre-extension creative writing teaching - u do not need a complication -> climax -> resolution structure at all !!! just waffle but make it sound fancy

unhealthyharold

HSC
my go-to method for imaginatives esp extension eng is just. the simplest possible topic but write it really well. disregard literally everything from pre-extension creative writing teaching - u do not need a complication -> climax -> resolution structure at all !!! just waffle but make it sound fancy
+ when i say waffle i dont mean start calling things photosynthetically anachronistic just incorporate lit theory e.g. mimetics, reader-response etc. even if u make it rly simple it gets the marks

band6yesplease

HSC
And yeah the one I did was analytical first about the extracts, then the creative after so the analytical wasn't in response to the creative, just the extracts. So I could write the creative without worrying about needing to reflect on it. Exactly like the 2019 HSC actually.
I feel like this is likely too because they haven't done it since the first exam with this syllabus so surelllyyyyy they're not making it another 25 mark of death

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)