English help!!! (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, sorry i was meant to quit BOS till hsc finished but this question is really really urgent!!!!!!

-First question, For english, do the technique choices you use matter??? ( to get you marks) or its irrelevant???.. sorry im just confused because im worried the technique choices in my essays are too weak. (eg im constantly using camera angles and shots as techniques for one of my texts)

-Second question is how many techniques do you guys normally employ in one body???

theone111

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, sorry i was meant to quit BOS till hsc finished but this question is really really urgent!!!!!!

-First question, For english, do the technique choices you use matter??? ( to get you marks) or its irrelevant???.. sorry im just confused because im worried the technique choices in my essays are too weak. (eg im constantly using camera angles and shots as techniques for one of my texts)

-Second question is how many techniques do you guys normally employ in one body???

to a lesser extent they do

no. of techniques vary but id say about 2 - 3 per par

x3Reii

HSC
2-3 techniques per paragraph. Your techniques don't really matter as long as you've explained them well and supported them with quotes. Although, I've heard markers do get a kick out of reading high level techniques like 'mise-en-scene' instead of the generic camera angles, similes, metaphors etc. Vary them, it makes your essay sound more sophisticated.

However your evidence (quotes) MUST be good. Because I remember reading somewhere (the rubric maybe?) that there must be "well chosen quotes" ie, quotes that suit the question.

enoilgam

HSC
Well, sophisticated techiques can help you get better marks. However, its really about how well those techniques support your argument.

musing

HSC
TBH 2-3 techniques per paragraph is not enough as it's not really displaying your knowledge of your texts. My English teacher expects at least 10 sophisticated techniques (effect and links) per paragraph (250 words) because you do get marked on the content as well. However, as a general guide - I would aim at least 6 techniques per paragraph. Also, make sure your argument/thesis is strong throughout the essay. HSC markers are looking for both content (techniques) and argument in an essay.

It ultimately comes down to how well you write and argue effectively to the question.

Last edited:

musing

HSC
my teacher always says 5 or more per quote or shot...is that too much?
Well, that's a little bit too much from a single quote. I use about two or three techniques per quote. So I usually end up around five quotes per paragraph.

khfreakau

HSC
per paragraph i aim for a minimum of 5 techniques and 3 quotes.

t0nyy

HSC
could you guys give an example of how you cram so much into one paragraph?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
yes this :)..

i have trouble condensing my paragraphs :(..
At my school they guide us to only use one quote per paragraph, but if you're paragraph is demonstrating a theme or a concept then you could use 1-3. Anymore than three gets far too bulky and your structure slips all over the place. As long as you're keeping in line with your structure you should be fine with your analysis and not over using quotes and examples.

My English teacher preaches the STEEL Method for paragraph structures.

Statement - in relation to the question / thesis point.
Technique - so the technique you're using to demonstrate this statement (don't clutter this up with too many techniques).
Example - so the example of the technique you've identified to previously, they're might be two examples of your technique which could both be allotted here.
Explain / Effect - so the effect the use of these techniques have in terms of the text and the themes / concepts it conveys.
Link - link back to the question.

Using the aforementioned method would keep your paragraphs nicely structured. You can use more quotes and as such, but then your paragraphs becomes pretty long and 'clunky'.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school they guide us to only use one quote per paragraph, but if you're paragraph is demonstrating a theme or a concept then you could use 1-3. Anymore than three gets far too bulky and your structure slips all over the place. As long as you're keeping in line with your structure you should be fine with your analysis and not over using quotes and examples.

My English teacher preaches the STEEL Method for paragraph structures.

Statement - in relation to the question / thesis point.
Technique - so the technique you're using to demonstrate this statement (don't clutter this up with too many techniques).
Example - so the example of the technique you've identified to previously, they're might be two examples of your technique which could both be allotted here.
Explain / Effect - so the effect the use of these techniques have in terms of the text and the themes / concepts it conveys.
Link - link back to the question.

Using the aforementioned method would keep your paragraphs nicely structured. You can use more quotes and as such, but then your paragraphs becomes pretty long and 'clunky'.
OH ty ty XD...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There are various styles - I used about 7 quotes for a paragraph, each quote having one or two techniques. There is no right or wrong.

Furthermore - some techniques are worth more than others. Obviously, 'diction' is the one that everyone uses when they're desperate.

Although, I disagree with someone above mentioning that metaphors are on the lower end of technique scale. Whilst some are, the more subtle metaphors and harder-to-identify metaphors are definitely worth a lot, particularly if you explain them really well.

Kanane

HSC
N/A
For those that include >4 techniques per paragraph...How many paragraphs do you write? o_O I cannot fathom how you can fit so many techniques and quotes into one para.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I use one quote per para for module A because I use ones that have LOTS of techniques so then I can say that makes it distinctive.
Module B I use like two poems and 6-9 quotes per paragraph and like 10+ techniques. (I usually get two whole poems analysed by the end of the essay)
Module C I use A LOT of techniques per paragraph because I use a lot more techniques for films because they're so easy to identify and explain, and I usually go through A LOT of the main parts of the film.
Belonging... Fuck that. It's marked by Advanced people so I'm going to fail the essay anyway.

I usually have two paragraphs for my core and two for related per essay. They are around 5-7 pages long, depending on a bunch of shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)