English is stupid (1 Viewer)

Makematics

HSC
Well to be honest, I don't actually hate the English language, English literature or the actual subject itself. What I'd call the 'greatest fuckery to come out of Satan's asshole' are the English exams. It's all rote learning and it kills the point of the subject. The way the exams are designed is little more than a joke to me.

Tell me, why should the intelligence of someone be measured using luck, rote learning and the ability to write in a mere 40 minutes?
and how would you suggest they test students? i agree that it is a horrible pair of exams, but just curious to see what alternative you would suggest :)

BlugyBlug

HSC
Well to be honest, I don't actually hate the English language, English literature or the actual subject itself. What I'd call the 'greatest fuckery to come out of Satan's asshole' are the English exams. It's all rote learning and it kills the point of the subject. The way the exams are designed is little more than a joke to me.

Tell me, why should the intelligence of someone be measured using luck, rote learning and the ability to write in a mere 40 minutes?
It's true.
It does take intelligence to score VERY well in english..but to obtain a decent score in english really has no saying on how intelligent you are.

I think the only reason it is mandatory is because it requires a different "mind" than that of very high scaling subjects like 4u/3u math, chem etc, and the BOS just wants to balance the scales a bit.

Makematics

HSC
It's true.
It does take intelligence to score VERY well in english..but to obtain a decent score in english really has no saying on how intelligent you are.

I think the only reason it is mandatory is because it requires a different "mind" than that of very high scaling subjects like 4u/3u math, chem etc, and the BOS just wants to balance the scales a bit.
Umm i dont understand how making it mandatory makes it balanced? That would favour english students... It would be balanced if they made both maths and english compulsory, though i can see why this would not be a logical solution. Imo english shouldnt necessarily be compulsory, but some sort of humanity should be

monsta4lyfe

HSC
I can at least safely say AoS is easy, perhaps the most redeeming part of the English HSC syllabus as it AT LEAST requires students to convey simple ideas using sophisticated language.

But the modules are literary diarrhea. There is absolutely ZERO consistency in how these 40 minute essays are marked. If yours is a decent essay, it can range anywhere from between 12 - 17 / 20, depending on how petty the marker is.

Also, I'm getting really sick and tired of those markings on essays that are like, "Why didn't you include this?", "You should have given further evidence here" blah, blah, blah... Literally I feel like saying, "And you expect me to write all that, at the top of my head, in 40 minutes, do you?"

I think it is only fair that students are given the opportunity to mark a HSC markers' 40 minute essay, that way when they're done we can say, "A closer evaluation is needed here!!!" or "This is awkward expression" and award them a generous 12/20.

NWO

HSC
Problem is: no one is gonna vote for a fk liek u XD

hayabusaboston

HSC
I was thinking recently, perhaps instead of compulsory for ATAR english, it could just be compulsory in general, but NOT counted to ATAR, rather, each school has some funding projects throughout the year to fund the "Top 5 english students prize", be it a monetary gift or a medal or whatever. Or maybe in general, generic english awards for best mod A, mod B etc at the end of the year at each school. This would motivate kids to actually study english and not slack off completely, at the same time letting them relax about their ATAR's knowing that they are doing ONLY what they are good at and giving themselves the maximum chances of success.

What do you guys think of this idea? English awards night? Non compulsory for ATAR, but full of tasty rewards for those who put in the effort?

I know you're gonna say there's the kids who wont give a fuck either way, so SOME form of punishment for not achieving a minimum score could be put in place. Idk. just hypothesising here.

HSC
ill wreck u bro. this shits on. ur sumthingreal is gonna turn into a sumthingfake. watch out, coz im after you. the dark night is after you.

NWO

HSC
What will be the point of it? no money= no motivation is that what ur saying lol?

NWO

HSC
there will be 2 markers and a descrepenices of 3 marks goes to the judge?

coonsmell

HSC
N/A
It's generally a bullshit class.

Terrible syllabus. Lol @ moving into the world, lol @ belonging - u fucking wot m8?

Let us be serious, only faggots take English as a subject seriously.

Gentoo

HSC
N/A
My only objection with HSC English is that it is compulsory, if it wasn't compulsory people wouldn't be complaining because only the people who want to do it, do it. People can argue that Mathematics and Science subjects are more useful to people yet they're not compulsory so why should English?

Last edited:

IcyRain

HSC
Now that I think about - although English isn't my favourite subject, I'm actually glad that it is compulsory because it gives me a fighting chance against the students who only excel in maths and science at my school.
For me it's the opposite. I don't like it being compulsory because it allows all the students who are good at writing and analysing but not good at maths and science a chance to blitz it. Not like I am the best at maths or science anyway :p

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I was thinking recently, perhaps instead of compulsory for ATAR english, it could just be compulsory in general, but NOT counted to ATAR
this actually isn't a terrible idea

the award night thing is pointless but this isn't that bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)