• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is truly gay (2 Viewers)

IceBreaker

HSC
what a stupid gay subject i mean do we need to know different meaning of how texts(pic,poem etc.) represent and how it relate to other stuff....wtf???you can't really study for it, you either have to love it or hate it

they should change to a more grammer based course or something...i hate reading poems and novels. english is seriously going to pull my UAI down..

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
its compulsory to stop all the illiterates from doing 4u maths chem, physics and engineering studies... you can study for english and practise responses and read lots of texts but u choose to do your little mathematics instead. Suck it up and get over it...

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Yes, I agree, it would be much more fun to cite the definition of a disjunctive pronoun than to watch a movie and learn something about human nature by thinking about it.

B

badhairday

i agree with Icebreaker, english can sometimes be a pain in the ass especially when analysing abstract poetry and writing pointless essays about journey
But nick also has a point. English is pretty important subject whether you like it or not. Sure you may not need to know what "juxtaposition" is in normal life, but english can overall be useful.
Me? I myself dont like english at all, but what can you do about it :)

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
Thats bullshit, english is a great subject..you just need to have a open mind to take up the ideas/concepts in texts.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
being able to read and anaylse texts is one ability...

the ability to look at this within its contexts, recognise dominant discourses and why it may be relevant to our context, or with other contexts, as well as finding the conceptual meaning behind the text is another ability, which would probably get you the higher marks.

But yes, I hated english.

Most utterly.

IceBreaker

HSC
no you cant study for english at all....well sort of. what i mean theres no hard solid facts to follow in the english syllabus unlike other subjects where there is. its just showing your understanding of relationship between texts etc...which you cant bullshit and interpret in your own way and that english syllabus it hard to understand. And as for illerate/bad english people the Bos should make just an average english grammer course to learn how to read and write, punctuations etc.... just enough to a minimum standard and other people with ok english shouldnt have to do it

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Write an essay, memorise it and then write it in the exam. Its not rocket science kiddies.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
there's fundamentals and ESL but yes I see your point. English is there to stop these rediculously high UAI's coming from the very good mathematics students. If you just so happen to be good @ English go with it. Yes you can study, its called produce an essay and work on it. The solid fact are the quotes you need to adapt to the exam questions. Other subjects are based on revise and regurgitate, English can be "wrote learnt" but in most cases people CBF doing that so you actually have to think... *sigh* Y am I fighting on English's side... who cares you gotta do it.

IceBreaker

HSC
absolution* said:
Write an essay, memorise it and then write it in the exam. Its not rocket science kiddies.
thats not the real way, how are you suppose to do that when you do not know the question?

IceBreaker

HSC
Murf said:
i dun think its impossible to study for but i def find it is alot harder to study for well for me any way (my worst subject) :mad: ...

ive got it tommorow for my half yearly exam :(

grr
you got ya half yrly already? thats fast

IceBreaker

HSC
what i mean is that when you look at the english syllabus there no hard solid fact you can follow , its all this understanding & interpretation stuff which i dont understand , they should revise the english syllabus and make it more clear.

IceBreaker

HSC
taco man said:
Thats bullshit, english is a great subject..you just need to have a open mind to take up the ideas/concepts in texts.
im open minded, its just that its gay

B

badhairday

english isnt really one of those subjects where there is a clear cut right or wrong answer. its all based on interpretation and justification. everyones answers are different and unique and there isnt really a set path to follow, just a general direction
Yes they should make the syllabus more clear, but theres only so much that they can include.

IceBreaker

HSC
badhairday said:
english isnt really one of those subjects where there is a clear cut right or wrong answer. its all based on interpretation and justification. everyones answers are different and unique and there isnt really a set path to follow, just a general direction
Yes they should make the syllabus more clear, but theres only so much that they can include.
thats exactly what i mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)