• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is truly gay (2 Viewers)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it will be like one of them chagall works where there is some in humane feature in it.

Captain pi

HSC
IceBreaker said:
KILL ENGLISH im so gonna burn my stimulus booklet after HSC. anyone with me?
Much as I disdain the present 15140 etc. courses, and understand a bit of ceremonial cleansing would be in order, could you guys be a bit more environmentally friendly and return them to the school so that they can be reused?

I am serious.

I hope you consider my advice;

Love,

pi.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
We have to return them to get our textbook deposit back lol.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
wtf? thats my mates picture.....i swear to god we did that n took the foto...unless u did the same thing :rolleyes: hmmm...either way, anutha of those damned booklets DIES!!

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
braad said:
wtf? thats my mates picture.....i swear to god we did that n took the foto...unless u did the same thing :rolleyes: hmmm...either way, anutha of those damned booklets DIES!!
Nah, a mate of mine at Crestwood had a mass booklet burning...

It must have been a truly beautiful sight... *sniffles*

ishq

brown?
HSC
Vahl3 said:
Assigning a gender connotation to the subject is pointless. You allocate a negative connotation to 'gay' and therefore imply homosexuals have a negative quality or are a negative quantity. This is neither constructive or conducive to social harmony. Subjecting any group or individual to ridicule or alienation, whether directly or indirectly is irrelevant, any such behaviour is never appropriate and never acceptable and reveals that there is personal dissatisfaction or inner disharmony. Everyone has the right to dignity and through including unneccessary and judgemental associations you express prejudice and therefore encourage prejudice and discrimination, which when enforced through law contributes to the loss of the rights of everyone.
ha!

Captian pi said:
Firstly, it's not a "gender connotation". He didn't say 'English was female; ergo, it's lacking certain qualities which would hold it in my esteem.' If it's what you describe, it's a 'sexual orientational [sic]' connotation.

But what you describe is flawed. It's even worse than saying that the statement "If someone is good, he will be rewarded" discriminates against women. Saying something, especially an obviously non-human thing, is 'gay' connotes no negativity towards homosexuals. If you haven't heard, a word can have many different senses (the word 'set' has 430!). The fact that 'gay' has negative connotations in some contexts, whereas in others it refers to one's homosexuality, does not suggest that the former usage impacts on the second. Perhaps, your point is valid if I say imperatively "Stop being gay." to a human, as there are undertones of homosexuality being a negative attribute. (Admittedly, I do not use this adjective negatively, but I must protest because I am on an intellectual power-trip.)

However, the inductive step from there to all other uses of the word is tenuous. In the clause "English is truly gay" the sense 'gay', in this context, has been entirely divorced from the sense 'gay' in "Gay Marriage".

Just the same as I can call someone a 'black sheep' or refer to the Christian antichrist as 'The Prince of Darkness' while, without loss of consistency, refer to a dark-skinned person as "black" or "dark-skinned".

Such obsessive political correctness impoverishes the language to an inhibited contortion of verbosity (like my caricature ergo, it's lacking certain qualities which would hold it in my esteem.'), rather than clear and simple prose.
haha!
Go Pi!

I wish i cared so much about language.

TO succeed in English: Use Big words, and Find a symbol in everything. Also, write a lot.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
I know. We have to find a realted text to Henry Lawson, and the teacher gave us an episode of Kath and Kim!!! The only explanation I can get is both are aussie.

OS

Banned
HSC
Omg!

Lhyviathan said:

What an original thought, IceBreaker...
You actually burnt it?? I hope you didn't burn the house down in the process. *gets bright idea* You could have just put it through the paper shredder................

Libbster

HSC
Fire is more visually stimulating!

I will say this, use big words and fancy sentences and you are basically guarenteed a good mark. It worked for me! :p

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Nah, a mate of mine at Crestwood had a mass booklet burning...

It must have been a truly beautiful sight... *sniffles*
ours was...it was just...totally worth all the shit we were put thru...well not really, but still, the booklet was a symbol of the oppression forced by the evil trinity (teachers, skool, teachers...that makes 3:)) and burning it was like....really really fuckin good :p

the highlight of my 2 years of HSC crap....*cries*

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
omg this could yet turn into a rap battle. everything becomes that...sigh

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Is it true that english is generally mastered by females?
The fact is, all the top 5 people in my english class are females and there are 6 females in total. Is it something to do with our brains?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)