• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is truly gay (1 Viewer)

OS

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I am not a big fan of English.... The essay topics are just so broad..... who knows what question they'll come up with next..... and so for one essay I must twist around everything I have learnt to suit that particular question in 40 short mins. max. You just don't see any clear direction.... Especially early on in the course before your first exams.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Advanced English is the plaything of professors in sewers playing politics by inflicting their Post-Structuralist left-wing ideology on vulnerable kids... *cough*Prof. Sawyer*cough*

j.u.l.i.e

man, do you read a book and analyse it by yourself afterwards?
as long as you can understand what is in a book - that seems good enough

if people are so good at 'english', why can they understand simple maths problems
btw - maths is about understanding the question - applying maths to it is dead easy

OS

Banned
HSC
Murf said:
just got home from doing mi english half yearly

it sucked and i hated it :mad::mad:
Murf (or any other BOSers having had their 2005 HSC English half-yearlys) how was the English exam structured?? Their wasn't two exams, was there?? How did you go?? I am dreading my first HSC English (Standard) exam!!!!!!!! :)@ me too)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
HSC English is lame.

That said, I'm coming first so I won't complain.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hsc english is constructive. it really does... its major project at the momment is making more generations hating english. how do you think there progress is? :D

note: spot my flaw. :p

Libbster

HSC
The thing I hate about English is the fact that the marking can be really subjective.
Eg at my school, some teachers give 10/10 as soon as they see a particular person's name!

There was a huge fight about subjective marking in the english staffroom and one of the teachers went on an individual strike for about a week because he reckoned his students were getting marked too low by other teachers. However, he'd give his students really high marks so they would come first and all other kids, really low marks. So now we use our student numbers for all assessments except speeches.

Bah, I'm coming like third at the moment because I only got 13/15 for my speech (grrrrrrrrr!) and 10/10 for my journeys assessment.

Last edited:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Libbster said:
The thing I hate about English is the fact that the marking can be really subjective.
Eg at my school, some teachers give 10/10 as soon as they see a particular person's name!

There was a huge fight about subjective marking in the english staffroom and one of the teachers went on an individual strike for about a week because he reckoned his students were getting marked too low by other teachers. However, he'd give his students really high marks so they would come first and all other kids, really low marks. So now we use our student numbers for all assessments except speeches.

Bah, I'm coming like third at the moment because I only got 13/15 for my speech (grrrrrrrrr!) and 10/10 for my journeys assessment.
you can file a report on that.. the marking, that is..

Trev

stix
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
hsc english is constructive. it really does... its major project at the momment is making more generations hating english. how do you think there progress is? :D

note: spot my flaw. :p
Haha, you can't spell, you use incorrect grammar, and your sentence construction sucks. :p
I've probably missed a few things, too!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You can also have your assessment marks appealed externally by BOS.

Abbeygale

HSC
lourai*87 said:
You can never predict the question. The essay you write one one topic may not even fit with a question in the exam
Which is why you're advised to get practice questions/past papers from the Board of Studies website, Study guides, your teachers etc and write many, many practice essays.

I don't think English is gay. But then, that's because it's one of my best subjects.

HSC
The problem with english is either you hit the nail on the head (ie. Band 4-5+) or you don't (ie. Band 3)

stainmepink

HSC
IceBreaker said:
what a stupid gay subject i mean do we need to know different meaning of how texts(pic,poem etc.) represent and how it relate to other stuff....wtf???you can't really study for it, you either have to love it or hate it

they should change to a more grammer based course or something...i hate reading poems and novels. english is seriously going to pull my UAI down..

i love english! but i agree the current syllabus is such a mess. everyone is studying different topics. i mean, how are you going to compare different people's work when theyr'e writing about totally different things? its like comparing a banana to a grape fucken hell.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
i hate english too they mark sooo hard damn i'd prefer physics anyday and to a lesser extent chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)