• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English is truly gay (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
As the great Ralph Wigam once said:Me fail english thats unpossible. HSC english is easy. Every1s going to pass. Some just memorise better and write faster then others.

IceBreaker

HSC
and whats more bad is that if you have a crap english teacher, your screwed!!, english is a subject you can't teach yourself or its really hard.

IceBreaker

HSC
gobaby said:
i love english! but i agree the current syllabus is such a mess. everyone is studying different topics. i mean, how are you going to compare different people's work when theyr'e writing about totally different things? its like comparing a banana to a grape fucken hell.
yea true!!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
and it's hard with tutoring classes because everyone's doing different texts, the only way is to go private.

Vahl

HSC
IceBreaker said:
what a stupid gay subject i mean do we need to know different meaning of how texts(pic,poem etc.) represent and how it relate to other stuff....wtf???you can't really study for it, you either have to love it or hate it

they should change to a more grammer based course or something...i hate reading poems and novels. english is seriously going to pull my UAI down..

Assigning a gender connotation to the subject is pointless. You allocate a negative connotation to 'gay' and therefore imply homosexuals have a negative quality or are a negative quantity. This is neither constructive or conducive to social harmony. Subjecting any group or individual to ridicule or alienation, whether directly or indirectly is irrelevant, any such behaviour is never appropriate and never acceptable and reveals that there is personal dissatisfaction or inner disharmony. Everyone has the right to dignity and through including unneccessary and judgemental associations you express prejudice and therefore encourage prejudice and discrimination, which when enforced through law contributes to the loss of the rights of everyone.

Bagging out the subject will not help you to succeed. Why don't you try to be positive e.g. "I'm having trouble in English but know that with the support of my peers I will succeed."

IceBreaker

HSC
ok that was like posting real smart, advanced comments backed up with good arguements that i dont fuken understand.....wtf you on about?

HSC
Vahl3 said:
Assigning a gender connotation to the subject is pointless. You allocate a negative connotation to 'gay' and therefore imply homosexuals have a negative quality or are a negative quantity. This is neither constructive or conducive to social harmony. Subjecting any group or individual to ridicule or alienation, whether directly or indirectly is irrelevant, any such behaviour is never appropriate and never acceptable and reveals that there is personal dissatisfaction or inner disharmony. Everyone has the right to dignity and through including unneccessary and judgemental associations you express prejudice and therefore encourage prejudice and discrimination, which when enforced through law contributes to the loss of the rights of everyone.

Bagging out the subject will not help you to succeed. Why don't you try to be positive e.g. "I'm having trouble in English but know that with the support of my peers I will succeed."
*explodes*

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
human rights. freedom of opinion and expression.

i dislike my english teacher but you don't see me complaining about the suject. i am merely ridiculing my teacher. i like engliosh, but the board of studies has a good way to sour this passion.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Vahl3 said:

*scratches head*

You sound as I often do. Strange.

Captain pi

HSC
Vahl3 said:

Firstly, it's not a "gender connotation". He didn't say 'English was female; ergo, it's lacking certain qualities which would hold it in my esteem.' If it's what you describe, it's a 'sexual orientational [sic]' connotation.

But what you describe is flawed. It's even worse than saying that the statement "If someone is good, he will be rewarded" discriminates against women. Saying something, especially an obviously non-human thing, is 'gay' connotes no negativity towards homosexuals. If you haven't heard, a word can have many different senses (the word 'set' has 430!). The fact that 'gay' has negative connotations in some contexts, whereas in others it refers to one's homosexuality, does not suggest that the former usage impacts on the second. Perhaps, your point is valid if I say imperatively "Stop being gay." to a human, as there are undertones of homosexuality being a negative attribute. (Admittedly, I do not use this adjective negatively, but I must protest because I am on an intellectual power-trip.)

However, the inductive step from there to all other uses of the word is tenuous. In the clause "English is truly gay" the sense 'gay', in this context, has been entirely divorced from the sense 'gay' in "Gay Marriage".

Just the same as I can call someone a 'black sheep' or refer to the Christian antichrist as 'The Prince of Darkness' while, without loss of consistency, refer to a dark-skinned person as "black" or "dark-skinned".

Such obsessive political correctness impoverishes the language to an inhibited contortion of verbosity (like my caricature ergo, it's lacking certain qualities which would hold it in my esteem.'), rather than clear and simple prose.

I suggest you read "Death Sentence" by Don Watson.

Love,

Captain pi.

PS: Me? Arguing about language?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Vahl3 said:

We have another Grag

firehose

HSC
English in yr12 is more like philosophy..... and why must we waste our time talking about some other bloody person's journey?
The language itself is fine though :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
this is something i would post if i could be bothered. you share my sight captain pi.

english i think is philosphy AND psychology combined. take that firehose!! :D

HSC
There's too many smart english people, KILL THEM ALL!

I used the wrong too/to didn't I :(

IceBreaker

HSC
KILL ENGLISH im so gonna burn my stimulus booklet after HSC. anyone with me?

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
im gona frame it and put it above my bed so i can marvel at how great a subject english is : p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)