Excel Guides (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
the new excel book wouldnt happen to have questions and worked solutions to them by any chance would they? Like for the sciences?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
clintmyster said:
the new excel book wouldnt happen to have questions and worked solutions to them by any chance would they? Like for the sciences?
I think they would. I know my old version of Excel Physics does - so they'd most likely include it in the new edition.

But personally - I wouldn't use Excel. I'd use my text book and do practice questions from Past Trial and HSC papers - especially with Maths.

verdades

HSC
Aerath said:
Legal Studies Excel, believe it or not, is the best textbook for Legal Studies, in my opinion. :p
Through distance ed legal, that's the textbook we use. We get the notes, which is effectively the main textbook, then we need to get the Excel guide to do some of the title pages.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have generally found that excel guides are quite poor for some subjects but on the other hand, pretty useful for others like Mathematics.

0hNivlek

HSC
Aerath said:
Legal Studies Excel, believe it or not, is the best textbook for Legal Studies, in my opinion. :p
That's what our legal teacher said too!

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Excel, from my experience, is good for:
- 2 unit and 3 unit mathematics.
- Software Design and Development

I don't really trust study guides when it comes to English or the humanities, but the focus textbooks for SDD and maths, for me, were the Excel books + Past papers of course.

08er

HSC
I've found excel guides to be decent for maths and the sciences, however I agree, stay away from English and the humanities.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I have become quite a fan of the Macquarie guides. Very clear and concise and relate straight to the syllabus.
They also have some very useful questions with worked answers.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
live.fast said:
Excel, from my experience, is good for:
- 2 unit and 3 unit mathematics.
- Software Design and Development

I don't really trust study guides when it comes to English or the humanities, but the focus textbooks for SDD and maths, for me, were the Excel books + Past papers of course.
Yeah I agree with you there Roger. I'm pretty sure you guys had Heinemann when you were at Pats for SDD and that was really really dry. Was Excel enough for SDD? Because I seriously hate Heinemann SDD.

terminator69

HSC
I went to Borders today and their selection of HSC related materials was pretty crap. 99% of the stuff there was excel and they mostly included titles like 'how to study for subject x in a month'. I had a look at their advanced english book and it was all analysis of texts for journeys... not happy jan.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^That is why you better spend your dollars on the textbooks.

Textbooks incorporate contents that are far better than study guides. It also covers more with more examples and etc. Contents provided by study guides are usually highly limited and sometimes useless.

Visit Dymocks. It has great numbers of books that will fascinate you.

terminator69

HSC
lyounamu said:
Visit Dymocks. It has great numbers of books that will fascinate you.
I don't think they have a franchise in my area so I'd have to go to Sydney unless I wanted to buy off their website but all they provide is a tiny thumbnail and brief description for each product. :(

HSC
r the macquarie books for english any good?

r there only new edition excel books for hsc work? or r there for preliminary as well?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
terminator69 said:
I don't think they have a franchise in my area so I'd have to go to Sydney unless I wanted to buy off their website but all they provide is a tiny thumbnail and brief description for each product. :(
Yeah, as already mentioned by Ms. The Lady (Doctor Jolly), ask around. There are many stickied threads that specifically deal with people's opinions on the books. The general consensus on this website, however, is that Excel guides are mostly poor except for Legal Studies, Maths, SDD and Physics.

Basically same story for Macquarie Guides. I would actually rather buy a textbook.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
just beware of the new edition for physics, its basically a rip of the old textbook, only difference is that its in colour and different format.

imo, the only textbook you will ever need is the DOT POINT series!!!
I only started using them mid yr and realized that i wasted my life on the other useless textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)