Exemption for P platers - best ways?? (1 Viewer)

Jiga

What about if I was a salesman for her company and a certain image is required for the company, that means a luxury car is necessary for drivin around doing deliveries and sales??
Yeah you really need a $60,000 car for that... in any case, 80% of cases dont involve a situation where that is the case, that ATO eg is perfect, and XR6 is really needed........

The argument for that is firstly that a more comfortable environment (ie. luxury car) will ensure that the person has a more relaxing and comfortable ride to work and thus be in a better mood for work and not to tired from the ride. If you had a shitty car as an executive for example the fact that you are annoyed because of the bad car or you a tired and have a bad back from the uncomfortable seats you will not work as effectively as you could if you were wide awake, comfortable and in a good mood. Im not sure what type of extras you make allusion to but it is obvious that a car phone is necessary so as to allow the person being driven (by a chauffer) or driving can do business or government work on the road.

Another example of this is flying. Executives will always fly business of first class because when they land they are less tired because they had a good sleep and so can work better.

The nice cars and flights are also part of the bonus package any executive gets in addition to his salary, its just an extra reward for good work, which is what got you the executive position in the first place.
No, the plane example is true because you are travelling overseas and their are major things to deal with like fatigue and jet lag, I dont think a 20 minute trip to work has to deal with that. As for comfortness etc, unless its a datsun most modern cars aernt that uncomfortable. And relating to my eg, I doubt you need a sports car for work and to be comfortable, lower models would have been sufficient. And as for extras, no im not talking about a phone that is just common sense, Im talking about additional features that are not related to the business, in the past... spoilers, mags, etc.... and Im not talking about standard features.

Don't you have to pay half the tax if you ALSO use the car for personal needs? Because if so that solves the whole problem...
To the best of my knowledge, he doesnt pay any concession for using the vehichle for personal use, I think its quite dodgy how he does use it.

Thats all Im gonna say here, because I think this is just going to go around in circles. My main point is that although in some circumstances a luxury car may be needed, in the vast majority it is ridiculous how companies and in particular GOVERNMENT agencies get sports cars for their employees when they dont even need a car let alone something designed for high performance driving.

stollmann

HSC
in the vast majority it is ridiculous how companies and in particular GOVERNMENT agencies get sports cars for their employees when they dont even need a car let alone something designed for high performance driving.
I TOTALLY agree with you, that is except when it comes to high executives in big companies.

Just so you know: most big companies allow their executives to choose a vehicle of their choice within a certain price range, so somebody who is entitled to a AU$ 100 000 car might choose a commodre with extras and high performance tuning instead of the less sporty but more luxurious Mercedes S500. Thats unusual but it does happen, especially with young executives.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Most company cars are in the sub-$60000 range I'd say? However, the executives thing... I know my family puts some of cars as company cars for tax purposes- and they are used for business stuff- so it's not hard to believe. Although I don't think it would quite work out if you used that as an excuse... you need to show your actual JOB requires you to use the car- don't cheat the system and drive safe (for our sake!)

Back on topic though, I'd rather drive the Honda as well. It's more normal... the XC90 could also be expensive in an accident despite being safe, and besides, there's a certain stereotype with the Volvo name which as shallow as I may be- I'd rather avoid.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
stollmann said:
The argument for that is firstly that a more comfortable environment (ie. luxury car) will ensure that the person has a more relaxing and comfortable ride to work and thus be in a better mood for work and not to tired from the ride. If you had a shitty car as an executive for example the fact that you are annoyed because of the bad car or you a tired and have a bad back from the uncomfortable seats you will not work as effectively as you could if you were wide awake, comfortable and in a good mood. Im not sure what type of extras you make allusion to but it is obvious that a car phone is necessary so as to allow the person being driven (by a chauffer) or driving can do business or government work on the road.
That's almost as bad as the argument of why executives should get perks: "If they don't, they stress, their hair will fall out, clog the drain in the shower, water will be collected, and they might slip and die."

7th Sign

HSC
stollmann said:
What about if I was a salesman for her company and a certain image is required for the company, that means a luxury car is necessary for drivin around doing deliveries and sales??

Try it but I am 99% sure they will knock it back,

if your parents are soo rich I dont understand why they dont just buy you a nice v6 ???
rather then waste time on this shit worrying about it...

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Do I detect a hint of jealousy there? Anyway I am the worst person to post here seen i cheated the system to get my licence, but anyway! The executive car issue is very interesting, my dad has a "company car" which is actually a leased for tax reasons and the company he works for tries hard to get their staff in the base model commodores and falcons (although they have been pushing XR6s lately) because cars like that don't alienate people in his work place, where as my uncle needs to the lease a luxury car because he needs to use the image in his job and doesn't want to alienate his clientele who are wealthier and expect people they respect to drive such cars!

Matt Damon.. (if thats ur real name;)) this falls back to the tradies and utes idea.. tradies drive utes because they need to carry their tools around and the vehicle is most suited to the job! Executives need to drive nice cars because they have become a necessary component in their professions and also many execs do use their cars for business purposes, ie. the company reps that come to my work could not turn up in a crappy car because we would not want to trust the products they sell! This ideal may not be right but it is how it is and if you wish to waste your life trying to do so go right ahead.. waste your time on deaf ears! *lalalalalalalala*

Also the governement car issue... I know many people who work for the government and none of them get good cars todo their work (ie. my sis' department uses base model rav4s and rodeos that are getting quite old and they only get them because they need to visit clients and such

Jiga

Also the governement car issue... I know many people who work for the government and none of them get good cars todo their work (ie. my sis' department uses base model rav4s and rodeos that are getting quite old and they only get them because they need to visit clients and such
Well that varies significantly from my experiences, is that a state government department? Well my example is federal, and the person in question has got for the past couple of years a nice shiny new, bright coloured XR6..... and as Ive said, he doesnt need it AT ALL for his work (And btw, he isnt really that high up in the world either!). Im sure there would be many other examples of this as well.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
That was for state government (territory actually) but you would assume that ATO people wouldn't want XR6s because they cannot write high performance cars off on tax as much as normal run of the mill V6s!?!

stollmann

HSC
7th Sign said:
Try it but I am 99% sure they will knock it back,

if your parents are soo rich I dont understand why they dont just buy you a nice v6 ???
rather then waste time on this shit worrying about it...
who says my parents are rich?

CieL

HSC
stollmann said:
who says my parents are rich?
You said your mother owns a company

Even if you did work under your mum, as if your position (inc age and experience) would not be as high as an exec's to own a flashy car to show off to their clients

For you, your company car should be a corolla

Like seriously.. if you were a good salesperson, you use your mouth and not your assets

If you have a big family, trade in the volvo and get a honda oddessey.. they're fucking sexy and they go fucking well if you want a bit of grunt.. and you dont need exemptions to drive it.. they're spacey but they dont look like it.. I've known people who go cruise control at 180 and the car is fine..

Last edited:

stollmann

HSC
I don't like the Honda Oddessey. It looks like a shoe box. Its flat but long and thin. Looks terrible and its not comfortable for seven people and not as sporty as a Volvo xc90.

^___^
HSC
stollmann said:
I don't like the Honda Oddessey. It looks like a shoe box. Its flat but long and thin. Looks terrible and its not comfortable for seven people and not as sporty as a Volvo xc90.
nah man, as if a guy of your calibre should be driving a Volvo..your friends will look down on you man..

drive a fucken Porsche or something..show the world who you really are..you know, those kids that don't get off their backs and leech off their parents

stollmann

HSC
Take the easy way out: don't assess people, just use the stereotypical judgements. Very very good, I am impressed. Maybe you should be the one living in the eastern suburbs.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Question:

If you do get an exemption, what are you going to be doing with the Volvo?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
... said:
drive a fucken Porsche or something..
Hey, I don't think those 6 pots are under restriction...at least if you don't get a Turbo (S).

CieL

HSC
Templar said:
Hey, I don't think those 6 pots are under restriction...at least if you don't get a Turbo (S).
Wrong

Porsches are under the category of high performance 6 cylinders so they're out

Most people aren't aware that the P platers aren't allowed to drive those..

stollmann

HSC
CieL said:
Question:

If you do get an exemption, what are you going to be doing with the Volvo?
Anything i guess. Sat nights in particular...just driving around

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Oh well, at least the Lotus Elise is still legal. Or at least the last time I checked.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
... said:
nah man, as if a guy of your calibre should be driving a Volvo..your friends will look down on you man..

drive a fucken Porsche or something..show the world who you really are..you know, those kids that don't get off their backs and leech off their parents
ROFL ROFL... Don't forget the <insert posh private school> bumper sticker? jkjk.

Seriously though, strollmann, the exemptions are not for people like you... they are for the people who drive utes and 4wds for work purposes such as driving through the country/rural areas. The other exception was for people who don't own their own cars but the parents have a car which is on the list and it's their only car.

As for executives needing nice cars.. you could also argue that they travel a lot interstate and need a luxurious ride because they might get blood clots ^^

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Can't you just pretend you got your ps before the law was introduced?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)