Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

iEdd

HSC
Or looking at it differently, moderating works VERY well for you, because you are guaranteed a good assessment mark if you screw up somewhat in the exams.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
iEdd said:
Or looking at it differently, moderating works VERY well for you, because you are guaranteed a good assessment mark if you screw up somewhat in the exams.
no necessarily.. because perhaps if he screws up, then maybe he will still be the highest..

though i don't think that you can "screw up" by that many marks..

HSC
So do the marks your school sends to the board of studies actually worth anything? or is it just your rank

me121

Premium Member
HSC
sonnylongbottom said:
So do the marks your school sends to the board of studies actually worth anything? or is it just your rank
its the relative differences between the marks and the order of those marks that matters. so yes, the marks do mean something.. but its not really the marks, more the relative differences between marks.. i.e. sending in the marks of 10,20,60 for persons A,B,C is not the same as 10,50,60 for persons A,B,C. however sending in 10,20,30 would be the same as sending in 20,50,80 for A,B,C respectively.

leon4u

HSC
so let me get this str8, if i come 2nd in a subject and i beat 1st by more than 5% in the external exam they steal my mark?

i really need this answer cause im 2nd in alot of subs

me121

Premium Member
HSC
leon4u said:
so let me get this str8, if i come 2nd in a subject and i beat 1st by more than 5% in the external exam they steal my mark?

i really need this answer cause im 2nd in alot of subs
if you mean if you come 2nd in school assessment, but for the external you get a higher exam mark than the exam mark of the person who came 1st in school assessment, then it doesn't mean they get your mark, it means they get for their internal assessement the external mark of the person who came first in the externals.

so if in the situation you describe you come 1st in the external exams, then yes, they get your external mark as their internal mark.

leon4u

HSC
but does that mean i get their external mark if they come 2nd?

RAW MARK
Bob 90
Chris 88

External Exam Mark
Chris 92
Bob 86

does that mean Bob gets 92 and Chris gets the 86?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
leon4u said:
but does that mean i get their external mark if they come 2nd?

RAW MARK
Bob 90
Chris 88

External Exam Mark
Chris 92
Bob 86

does that mean Bob gets 92 and Chris gets the 86?

No - the only actual marks that are set by the exam are the first and generally the last place marks.

These are used to give the range of marks for your class's moderated school marks.

Say the school sent in a range of marks from 30 - 80 but in the exam the class ranged from 50 - 90 then the school assessed mark range will be from 50 - 90 with the 30 internal assessment mark rising to 50 while the 80 internal mark will rise to 80.

Then the total marks earned by the class in the exam is allocated to the class keeping ranks and relative differences the same. e.g. in out class there are 15 students who earned 1367 marks then that is the number of marks to be allocated to the internal assessment marks as well.

It is not as simple as giving the exam marks in order to the ranks of the students as that won't necessarily keep the relative differences e.g.

Student A - assessment 80 and exam 80
Student B - assessment 79 and exam 90
Students C - O assessments down to 30 and exams down to 50.

If it was simply a matter of giving the top ranked student the mark of the top exam mark and the second student the second exam mark then the fact that the school assessed these two students as very close together won't be reflected in the results because Students B would get an assessment mark of 80 which is 10 marks less than A but the actual difference should be only 1 mark at most.

jono177

HSC
sorry I don't get this 100%:burn:

so what you are saying for the moderated assessment mark :
scenario
if i went around average at school assessments around 6th and the people ranked above me fuk up their HSC exam and I own them, coming like 1st or 2nd in the HSC...will I get their fuked up 6th highest HSC mark for my moderated assessment mark? (I am really close to rank 5 (1 or 2 marks) but rank 7th is light years behind us)
basically 1-5 are really squashed up at the top end while 7th+ are right at the failing end
i know the 1st to 3rd will not fuk up, will my marks be close to them?

So so I will get the 6th highest mark around like 60% when 1-5 get around 78-85 in the HSC, but the class rankings are close together being 1-3 mark different. And myself getting 85...

Its the 4th and 5th i'm worried about...so I am stuffed in of the moderation of assessment mark?
by the way this is a Software Design and development, a class out of 13

thanks i hope i didnt confuse you:confused:

iEdd

HSC
No, it won't affect you in the slightest. However, your school will have a crappy average.

xibeleli

HSC
iEdd said:
No, it won't affect you in the slightest. However, your school will have a crappy average.
So does that mean it will affect you hard if you dont come first lol?

Rudroll

A Chicken in my Bag!
HSC
So what's the point of aligned marks if they don't contribute to your UAI?

Is it just to make us seem smarter than we are? To show our friends that we got a band 5 when really the mark we got would have equaled a band 3?

ala7923

HSC
So... the school marks that the teacher sends in has no impact on the final marks? Since they're moderated to become the 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. exam marks. Is that right?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ala7923 said:
So... the school marks that the teacher sends in has no impact on the final marks? Since they're moderated to become the 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. exam marks. Is that right?
NO!

The marks the school sends in is extremely important - not as a mark per se but as an indication of the relative difference (gap) between the students.

First and last place internally get the first and last place exam marks respectively as their moderated assessment marks.

All other moderated assessment marks have to reflect the rank AND relative difference between the students.

Student A could be coming first by 10 marks internally over Student B but Student B could come second in the exam by only one mark. Student B won't then get their exam mark as their moderated assessment mark (but they do keep their own exam mark). Student B's moderated assessment mark must also reflect the relative gap between the two students and so they would get an assessment mark about 6 - 7 marks behind due to the aligning process but it reflects the dominance of Student A at school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rudroll said:
So what's the point of aligned marks if they don't contribute to your UAI?

Is it just to make us seem smarter than we are? To show our friends that we got a band 5 when really the mark we got would have equaled a band 3?

NO.

If the BOS really had their way there would be only Bands.

Bands describe what you can do in a general sense.

However, the non-education (not non-educated) public understand a concept of pass and fail with 50% meaning pass so the BOS decided that Band 2 had to equal 50%. The general idea of Band 2 is that is meeting the 'minimum standards' of the course. Consequently 99% of students approximately, who can do at least Band 2, needed to have marks that the general populace understand as passing the course - hence aligning to bring the raw marks that equate to the 'minimum standard' up to 50% and thus all other marks had to align upwards as well.

Zephyrio

HSC
cem said:
NO!

The marks the school sends in is extremely important - not as a mark per se but as an indication of the relative difference (gap) between the students.

First and last place internally get the first and last place exam marks respectively as their moderated assessment marks.

All other moderated assessment marks have to reflect the rank AND relative difference between the students.

Student A could be coming first by 10 marks internally over Student B but Student B could come second in the exam by only one mark. Student B won't then get their exam mark as their moderated assessment mark (but they do keep their own exam mark). Student B's moderated assessment mark must also reflect the relative gap between the two students and so they would get an assessment mark about 6 - 7 marks behind due to the aligning process but it reflects the dominance of Student A at school.
Oh okay, but cem what would happen if I was put in this position (and I am):

I came first in advanced English by around 10 marks, yet I feel that I've drastically underperformed in the HSC external. What would happen to my internal assessment mark? Would it be the highest exam mark recorded by my grade only?

independantz

HSC
cem said:
NO.

If the BOS really had their way there would be only Bands.

Bands describe what you can do in a general sense.

However, the non-education (not non-educated) public understand a concept of pass and fail with 50% meaning pass so the BOS decided that Band 2 had to equal 50%. The general idea of Band 2 is that is meeting the 'minimum standards' of the course. Consequently 99% of students approximately, who can do at least Band 2, needed to have marks that the general populace understand as passing the course - hence aligning to bring the raw marks that equate to the 'minimum standard' up to 50% and thus all other marks had to align upwards as well.
Really? what if there is one guy killing the whole grade by like 10 marks and he gets like 95 and the rest get marginally lower marks, does that mean the rest of them have no chance at a band 6?

iEdd

HSC
^Wha? How did you infer that, from that? If the rest get marginally lower marks and similarly for the externals, not a whole lot will change.

independantz

HSC
iEdd said:
^Wha? How did you infer that, from that? If the rest get marginally lower marks and similarly for the externals, not a whole lot will change.
I meant internally he killed everyone by like 10+ marks e.g 90,80,78,76... are the top 4 ranks marks but in the externalthe marks are: 95,94,93,92 does that mean the assessment marks of the other 3 will be dropped by a lot of marks?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Oh okay, but cem what would happen if I was put in this position (and I am):

I came first in advanced English by around 10 marks, yet I feel that I've drastically underperformed in the HSC external. What would happen to my internal assessment mark? Would it be the highest exam mark recorded by my grade only?

You keep your own exam mark and the highest exam mark will become your moderated assessment mark.

As you came first nothing can change that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)