Fannys is for tryhards (2 Viewers)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I don't understand this forums zeitgeist.

You all hate the nightlife in Newcastle.
Not true. It's not the nightlife in Newcastle I hate, it's certain aspects of it. Nightlife includes heading to the pub for a few quite ones in a dark corner of the pub with some mates, talking about life. I don't hate that.

You really hate the bogans that are most of the population.
Newcastle's roots are in coal mining, I get it. I don't really 'hate' them, but I choose not to associate with them, as do many others. There is a difference here. Within Newcastle, there are some very successful businesspeople, so whilst BHP has had a large impact on the city (even though it is now closed here), there are still some very well off people living here.

You offer fairly scathing criticism of the uni in terms of design.
(I actually like all these things btw)
I haven't been scathing in anything I have said in regards to the university's strategic plan. There are some things the uni is doing wrong, imo, but there's also other areas that they are doing some really good things. The fact they commissioned the plan was one of them, as it shows they accept they don't know everything. I wouldn't be working with them both in course-related stuff, and in admin if I were to scathingly criticise everything I thought they did wrong.

Yet you all get defensive of the place when I tell people not to come here...
Defensive is a strong word, but fair enough i'll go with it. The issue I had with that thread is the rationale behind why you actually made it. If you have issues with the uni, that's understandible, but dude, why make a thread having a rant about it in the way you did? The title didn't lend itself to as much discussion as it could have. Ultimately, if you want to be heard, you need to have a voice. It's not easy to get others to support your cause or understand your position when you're not exactly diplomatic about it.

EDIT: I think it could have worked better had you at least taken a leaf from the UNSW forum and created a more appropriately titled thread under 'what do you hate about UNCLE' like they have.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
The issue I had with that thread is the rationale behind why you actually made it. If you have issues with the uni, that's understandible, but dude, why make a thread having a rant about it?

The least you could have done is taken a leaf from the UNSW forum and create a more appropriately titled thread under 'what do you hate about UNCLE'. There's a big difference.
eh, inflammatory and outrageous aspersions are more fun for everyone.

And the title is my honest opinion. I can only be true to myself. Why pussyfoot around?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Make another thread "Newcastle uni is the best, come here"?

blue_chameleon

HSC
Graney said:
Make another thread "Newcastle uni is the best, come here"?
Oh man, you got my sense o huma!

Actually, come to think of it, i'm 90% sure that there is already a thread created about what people dont like at Newcastle Uni back in the past. So, you're not the first to have negativity dude, and you wont be the last.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Graney said:
I don't understand this forums zeitgeist.

You all hate the nightlife in Newcastle.
You really hate the bogans that are most of the population.
You offer fairly scathing criticism of the uni in terms of design.
(I actually like all these things btw)

Yet you all get defensive of the place when I tell people not to come here...
I don't particularly like the 'clubbing' scene here, but I just don't do it. I don't really enjoy bogans but there's plenty of non-bogans around here. And I definitely do not hate the uni, love <3 Aspects shit me off but I love that nigga.

The_highwayman said:
yeah. i think the particular choice of thread title was a little inappropriate considering the context of this time of year when kids are making decisions that could potentially dictate the rest of their lives.
I thought this also, but whatevs.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The_highwayman said:
opinions are great if u can justify them
I think I gave fair and ample explanation for feeling the way I do.

Why should I care if my thread rattles potential students?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You can disagree with my opinion all you please, and so you should. You have the right of reply, and potential students who view the thread would understand it's my opinion alone and there is substantial dissenting opinion.

However, I find it kind of annoying when I provide a fair, lengthy and detailed explanation of the reasoning behind my conclusions and you're basically telling me I'm a dickhead and should just keep my mouth shut like a child.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Graney said:
You can disagree with my opinion all you please, and so you should. You have the right of reply, and potential students who view the thread would understand it's my opinion alone and there is substantial dissenting opinion.

However, I find it kind of annoying when I provide a fair, lengthy and detailed explanation of the reasoning behind my conclusions and you're basically telling me I'm a dickhead and should just keep my mouth shut like a child.
You needed to place less bias within the thread title man.

Guarantee you, there wouldn't have been anywhere near the perceived neativity towards your thread if you took a more careful approach to how you presented your opinion. Guaranteed.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
besides, graney, you're reasons were mostly about culture which, ultimately, is not what the University of newcastle, or indeed any other university, is awarded responsibility of. Culture is the responsibility of the students and whilst i enjoy the company i find at uni, you claim that it lacks in culture. So do something about it. BOS cant help you here.
I'm a little reluctant to believe people would choose a different uni, just because they think there's a better culture. You'd be surprised at how well people can adapt, and those who dont shouldnt blame the culture, but contemplate their own choices.

i have already responded to your only other argument about dropping entry scores.

EDIT: also, to say the "quality of newcastle uni" automatically indicates the 'quality of education' which you yourself say is first class. But people dont read long-winded essays so will undoubtedly miss this short snippet at the bottom of your post. What u mean is the quality of culture or even the quality of students, but the education is what is important for prospective students and ur thread title immediately turns them off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)